Truck Tires

Checked the manufactured date on my front BFG KO (45k) tires and they were manufactured in 2013, the year I bought them. The 2 rear BFG KO tires recently purchased have now upgraded to a new standard because of side wall failures which is exactly what happened to me. The upgrade has 20% tougher sidewall featuring a split and bruise resistant sidewall rubber, extended shoulder rubber, increased rubber thickness which extends down the sidewall to protect more of the critical sidewall failure zone. Looking at the tires now the difference in my opinion is significant. Got a wonder what kind of lawsuits against BFG faced?

Sounds like you're comparing the "old" KOs with the "new" KO2?
Yesterday replaced the front 2 tires as well with the newer version BFG KO's. The fronts had 35% remaining tread so now all 4 are replaced. There is a 6 year pro-rated warranty with BFG for this type of failure but probably not worth my time. On further examine of the failed rear tire I had that tire plugged a year ago. A nail was in the front tire so I had it plugged and at my next service the front tire was rotated to the rear. Most likely contributed to the failure. I had forgotten about the plug and lesson learned I guess as to never plug any tire when carrying a extended load. Stupid on my part, actually.
Will see how these tires hold up as we will be towing buddies GW to Gold River later this month for a week. Best trip of the year so no mishaps are allowed.

OK.... old thread but I'm looking to put new tires on my 1500 Silverado this weekend.

Had BFG A/T on all my trucks in the past.
Tried Toyo Open Country on my last set thinking they would be a better tire for on road. Worst tire I have ever had. Terrible in snow and rain. Wore fast and uneven which I take some responsibility for as I did not rotate often enough. But they sucked in rain and snow from new.

Anyways.... I don't off road at all with the truck. Just logging roads now and then. I commute from Langford to Vic everyday, Ski a lot in the winter, tow boat or trailer regularly.
I am considering my first non AT truck tire ever. I believe I have decided on Michelin LTX 10 ply Defenders. I have these on my wife's Highlander and they have been awesome.

Any feed back on these tires for a light truck tire for use noted above? They ain't cheap and I don't want another expensive failed experiment.

OK.... old thread but I'm looking to put new tires on my 1500 Silverado this weekend.

Tried Toyo Open Country on my last set thinking they would be a better tire for on road. Worst tire I have ever had. Terrible in snow and rain. Wore fast and uneven which I take some responsibility for as I did not rotate often enough. But they sucked in rain and snow from new.

Anyways.... I don't off road at all with the truck. Just logging roads now and then. I commute from Langford to Vic everyday, Ski a lot in the winter, tow boat or trailer regularly.
I am considering my first non AT truck tire ever. I believe I have decided on Michelin LTX 10 ply Defenders. I have these on my wife's Highlander and they have been awesome.

Any feed back on these tires for a light truck tire for use noted above? They ain't cheap and I don't want another expensive failed experiment.

I would run Hankook Dynapro RF11's great all weather tire and have good load rating and tread wear to them as well! we sell a ton of them out of our shop here in Kelowna for our customer base when they need rubber and other repairs!

I would run Hankook Dynapro RF11's great all weather tire and have good load rating and tread wear to them as well! we sell a ton of them out of our shop here in Kelowna for our customer base when they need rubber and other repairs!
Thanks for reply.
Sounds like you sell tires. What are your thoughts on the Michelin LTX that I am looking for feedback on?

Iv'e had the Michelins on the last two trucks before the current one and they were great no complaints. Sounds like your truck use is similar to what I do they should be fine. I don't offroad either but was bringing firewood home in the snow couple years ago, multiple trips no problem great traction. Prob get better mileage with them compared to BFG A/T.

Thanks for reply.
Sounds like you sell tires. What are your thoughts on the Michelin LTX that I am looking for feedback on?

The michelin LTX is a alright tire IMO, michelin is over rated and over priced for what they are... ive sold alot of tires and worked on alot of vehicle that have had the LTX tires they seem to wear alot quicker then other brands since they are always on the softer side. Now the Hankook like I was saying ive seen guys run them on duramax's, f350's etc which are heavy rigs, and they are getting 100,000km or more out of 1 set! which is almost unheard of these days. As long as your doing your routine tire rotations every 10,000km or so and checking the front end etc for worn components (ball joints, tie rod ends etc), also like most dont know a 4 wheel alignment should be preformed every year.

I went with the michelin LTX this morning. Quiet and smooth on the drive home. Will report back after a while.

When it comes time to replace tires for my vehicles I only purchase Michelin tires.
Michelin LTX foe my Cummins.

I went with the michelin LTX this morning. Quiet and smooth on the drive home. Will report back after a while.

I just bought a set of the Michelin LTX for my 3500 ram. Getting them mounted tomorrow, I know for sure they’ll be a lot nicer than the firestone tires that came on the truck, which have only lasted 46k.

Hey Guy's I am looking for some advise on tires.

Currently I have Duratrac's on the truck they are getting towards the end of there life. after my little miss hap with a barrier last weekend I am looking to get some new tires. I use the truck year around towing the boat around the mainland and a few trips to island in the summer. I also take it into into the interior for hunting in the fall and the winter. I was thinking about getting a set of good road tires for boat towing and driving around then getting second set of proper winter tires/all terrain tires for the winter hunting trip. What tires would you choose and why for both of these applications. Truck is a diesel F350. I really liked the Duratrac's they did very well off road, but I found that they wore down pretty quickly. I was also reading that they are not really great in icy conditions.

Hey Party Marty, this is another loaded question like Chevy, Ford, or Dodge. This could go for pages.
I'll tell you what I am running as I as well have an F350. From about May to October I run on General AT2. This tire is actually a legal winter tire but I don't like it in the snow. Does not have enough sipes for ice. However throughout the year I find it very good. As you, I tow boat, flatbed trailers. I go into the interior throughout the year and the wear ability is as good as can be expected. I matched these tires to the size of the factory tires. They were 265. However I started running Uniroyal Laredo in the winter in 245 size. I have had no issues. I traveled back from Lillooet in a snowstorm with a skid of pellets in the truck and had absolutely no issues. These tires come with 11/32 of tread. One of the highest tread count depth in winter tires. They have excellent combination of sipes and self cleaning lugs. I also drove back from PG with a trailer in a snowstorm and passed a number of trucks and truck trailers in the ditch. Again I had no issues. I'm sure others will chime in, and, to some degree comes down to personal preference. This works for me and I don't plan on changing anything any time soon. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Was a Toyo user for the longest time. Until Nitto came out with the ridge grapplers. Same company I think, however longest lasting quietest mud tire Ive ever seen. Tough as nails too

The Trail grapplers are a little more aggressive a tad bit noisier on the highway. Still quieter than everything else in the mud tire market. Where as the ridge grapplers are kinda right in the middle between on and off road performance. Super quiet

BFG are complete pieces of absolute S***

Duratracks are a decent tire just really loud on the highway. Ran those for a bit

https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/ridge-grappler-light-truck-tire/

Last edited:
I had them on my LBZ when I first bought the truck. Very loud hum at highway speeds. They were about half worn. They drove nice though. Didn't last

For those wanting more on road and all weather tires, even in the snow with a snowflake rating.. check out the EXO grapplers

I had them on my LBZ when I first bought the truck. Very loud hum at highway speeds. They were about half worn. They drove nice though. Didn't last

For those wanting more on road and all weather tires, even in the snow with a snowflake rating.. check out the EXO grapplers
I just put on the Exo grapplers a couple of days ago. So far I like them, not as noisy as my old MT Grapplers (also a great tire). I’ve also always put on the Nitto Severe Service grappler on my company trucks, A great all around tough tire.

So an update on my coopers so after 36,000 km took them in for balancing and they put the tire gauge on them they are at 70 % so im very happy thats alot of hunting and normal driving on them , the BF i had before on my older f 350 pasted off and only got 45 k on them so id say a better compound what I like the most is they defiantly grip well was out other day on a pretty steep road and came around the corner and road was GONE had to back up in 4 wheel drive for quite a way on some loose gravel and did it like a champ.. very impressed

Back