trout trolling speed

S

SS

Just asking for some advice as I am new to trolling for trout. I have been trolling kwik fish, wedding bands on the lakes on Vancouver Island. Targeting rainbow and cutthroat. Hand held gps said I was doing about 1 mile an hour. I'm not really doing that well and was wondering if perhaps I am trolling too fast.

Depends what you are going for.

Big deep lakes for Cutthroat I pull 4-6" plugs at 1.8kts-2.4kts ( boat and electric riggers)

Local shallow lakes for rainbows I pull leech patterns on the fly line at a dead slow pace not much faster than the breeze gently pushing me. I kick occasionally to keep my tube in line with the shore.

Thanks for the help. Tried a search on the web for a video on what kind of action a kwik fish is supposed to have, but no luck yet. My rod makes steady beat...say 2-3 pluses every second and the kwik fish makes a pretty eratic movement when I drag it beside the boat. Maybe its to cold still, who knows its still fun.

I like to use a 3"gulp alive leech (black with red speckles) with the right weight to hit my zone
troll slow as possible...

I also like to rig up a colorodo blade with a 4" leader behind it with a worm. Run 3ft of leader above the blade to a swivel with the weight above...

Double wedding bands with little weight and a 4" leader with a worm works good too.

Splitshot :)

Hey SS. Your speed sounds good. Try going farther back from your boat and play with your deapths. Troll frog patterns tight in shore and try the coach dog around creek mouths. It would be helpfull if we knew what lake your fishing. I could give you better advise if I had that info.

Back