Trout Rod

I'm looking at getting a new trout rod and reel. I would like something I can use for trolling and spin casting. Not huge fish either and light weight enough that I can really feel the fish. Let me know your preferences

I'm looking at getting a new trout rod and reel. I would like something I can use for trolling and spin casting. Not huge fish either and light weight enough that I can really feel the fish. Let me know your preferences

You can use a spin casting rod for trolling but not vice versa. What are you using for a reel? If trolling only use a fly rod

My go to Rainbow trout rod is a Mitchell 300(oldy) on a colapsable light rod(fits in backpack), using 8 lb test line. Brook trout same deal.
Lake trout is the same reel/line combo but a rod that is a bit more firm with a flexable tip.

Check out the shimano clarus , I found they have a pretty good balance of a soft tip for trolling and enough backbone for casting in a $100 rod.
They have a pretty good selection of sizes to get the match up your looking for.
I wish I never lost that rod.

I personally use a 7' light power, fast action rod for trout. Makes catching any size trout a blast to battle out. The fast action really helps casting bombs using next to nothing weight and the light power make a 12' trout feel like a 2lbs fish.

As for a reel, wouldn't go any thing bigger than a 2500 series reel.

Back