Trout Plugs

Steelhead S2

Just looking for some pointers on fishing plugs for trout. I guess Kwikfish is the go-to. What sizes and what colours do you guys prefer for bigger bows and cutties?

I attended a demo one day on the use of Tomic plugs for trout and they suggested running a wee tad in front of a 3" Tomic. I chose each of these in a frog pattern and it works quite well in Cowichan Lake.

Seafood, eat it, then catch more.

I use 4-6" tomic plugs when fishing Cutties in Cowichan. Typically the Rainbows will be taken on smaller offerings as they tend to be much more shy than big browns or cutties.

3 inch or 4 inch frog patterns (brown or green), or rainbow plug (800) or a 232. (I think)
You will find more info if you look through the Cowichan Lake thread.
Also a white plug comes to mind.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13350

This is for cutties..... I find rainbows tend to like the worms and gang trolls.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

I agree with Highlights I use 3-4 inch Tomic plugs to target cutties at Cowichan. Troll them just fast enough (1+mph) to get action out of them on a downrigger.

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

I agree with the 3-4" tomic but not the speed or down rigger.
Troll the hell out of em (3mph). Put them on the top and about 150-200ft back. The hottest colours are 256ii, 231iirn, 700, 700ii, 800, 800ii, 801 and 402. The cutties are spawning and the kokanee are going after the eggs. Also at the same time, the salmon fry are starting to come out of the creeks.
If you want more and just as good or better addvise go talk to the guys at Cowichan Fly & Tackle.

Thanks for all this guys. I have had some luck over the years dragging smaller hot shots and kwikfish in Buttle. Never got anything big, but it could be productive at times for both cutties and bows. But I have never really put time into getting good at trouting, especially with hardware. Looks like I will put a bit more time into it this spring, so just trying to short-cut the learning curve. :)

My most productive plug for cuthroat and rainbows is a 3" purple Lyman plug. Sometimes the old technology can't be beat. Don't know why, but the fish sure love that old wooden Lyman plug.

I use plugs in Arrow, Revelstoke & Kinbasket lakes. We typically use Lymans in white, pink, purple/black, and "fish" colors (#16 comes to mind) right on the surface and weighted as sunny days increase. Downriggers come into play also.

We use rapalas in shallow water in the spring. We troll 2 - 3 mph. Am going to try tomics this spring.

Back