Trophy Scuppers

Tiki35

Hi Everyone:

I have a new to me '91 Trophy and while fishing around Gerald Is. on Friday, my feet got wet because of the crappy scuppers. Can anyone other Trophy owners tell me which scupper they installed (ex. Rabud) and the size please. In keeping with this forum, I got a 20 pound farmed spring off the north end of Gerald at 140 feet with a black/white hoochie travelling at 2.5 knots.

Thanks,

Mike

I have seen some guys go to the style with the "ping-pong ball" they seem to work well. Someone with these might be able to comment further?!

Tiki the clipped guys are hatchery fish. Nice fish we didnt get much at gerald on the weeekend seems to have died from last week.

your scuppers are probably fine, its just when you put a lot of weight in one corner the top of the drain dips below the waterline and you get water in the boat. Scuppers are never going to keep all the water out.

No, the scuppers are not blocked for sure. I want to install the ping pong type scuppers (either Rabud or T-H Marine Flo-Max) but I was looking for someone who actually installed them already to give me some advice regarding size and how well they installed.

Right Kelly, I meant to say hatchery as the adipose fin was clipped. I did complete the form and leave the head at Schooner Cove Marina.

scuppers don't keep the water out, its because the drain is above the waterline - water doesn't travel up.

If there is a big problem with water coming in then the butt of your boat is sitting too low.

Save your money.

I recently had my boat surveyed and the surveyor made an interesting suggestion - holds true for any boat. All thru hull fittings should have a valve so that you can close them in the even of a failure of the poly pipe leading from the floor fitting to the thru-hull. He makes that same recommendation on all sport boats and indicates that it's very rare for a sport boat to have these fittings. I'd personally inspect the pipe and fittings given that your rig is 15+ years old. Older thru' hull fittings can/do corrode and crack with exposure to salt, sun and air.

Another suggestion is to pick up a wooden dowel kit (with mallet) from your favourite boating store. Use them to plug holes in an emergency. Nothing can ruin a good fishing trip faster than a sinking boat.

I have a 91 Trophy that I've had for about 5 years. It's a problem that is difficult to stop. I've tried new rubber scuppers and the ping pong ball scuppers. The ping pong ball scuppers work better but you need to make sure you keep them cleaned out. Debris sometimes will get stuck in them (just clean it out while before launching). With that said, I still get water coming in sometimes. They installed very easily. Same hole pattern as the rubber scuppers that come with the boat. Just unscrew the old ones and screw the new ones on. The problem comes down to a design flaw on the older Trophy’s. The butt end just sits too low in the water. For some reason this problem doesn't happen all the time. It's just certain conditions. As I'm sure you've found out it's made worse because the fish boxes are close to the scupper entrance so when the water comes in the boxes fill up. This makes the butt end even heavier. My recommendation is to put a plug into the scupper holes from the inside of the boat. I used to stuff a rag into each hole, something I could pull out quickly if needed. One day I was in a tackle shop and saw these rubber end caps that go on the butt end of halibut rods. Amazingly they fit perfect into the scupper holes. I now use them all the time to block the water from backing up into the boat. Works great!! If you do block the holes, just make sure you can clear them in an emergency if you need to and also that you unblock them when sitting at the dock or on the trailer. If you don't there is no where for the water to go.

Good luck,
Slabby

I have a 1992 Trophy since new, and it has always had this problem. I found that the worst time was when I was pulling prawn gear, and two or three people were in the back corner of the boat sorting prawns, pulling traps etc.

I personally think that the scuppers are too low, which also means that I guess the deck is too low, and so on and so on.

I kept the old scuppers in, but designed a quick release plug to go in each of the holes. I carved them out of closed cell foam. I don't have them in all of the time, as I like the draining cockpit, but I can put them in and take them out as I see fit.

Works perfectly for me, and maybe it can give you some ideas.

FishWish

1995 21 trophy here, and ya, a pretty common problem.

I have the ping pong style and love them, I like to replace mine every year, after about a year, they start to slowly leak(when there is lots of weight in one corner).

snagger

20' 1998 Trophy 2002WA and just replaced my scuppers for the same problem. Kept wondering why one fish box kept getting full of water. The ping ball types are a pain to keep clean from debri and found that as they stick out 2 inches that I was getting spray back at plane speed. Wondering if it was raining on a sunny day. Finally went back to the orginal style (Sea Dog flush mount black flap type) and picked up a new set of 4 and works great for me. For $20 for a set of 4, rather replace them every year than spending hours unplugging the ball types. Flap type makes me feal safer as well as never plug up.

Hi guys , I also have a 1991 Trophy with a 225 opti. They sure pumped them out that year! Great boat but the scupper system sucks! Because the scuppers are continually below the waterline it has lead to the lines from the deck to the scuppers leaking. I have toyed with the ping pong ball type but I don't think it will fully solve the problem. I may seal off the scuppers and direct the drains into the bilge and put in a second high volume bilge pump. Has anyone done this? I have a pretty low cut away for the engine so if I get a huge swamp it will hopefully go out the back. comments?

I bought a 93 21 trophy last year and the only thing I havent fixed yet is the fish hatch pump, only cuz they put in such an easy spot to access LOL. The very first fishing trip I did was fraser river sturgeon, well my feet were soaked and I thought the boat had a hole in it ha ha. after 2 more outings I cut the fish hatch hose in the bilge, now no more water,the bilge pump comes on quite often when I'm pulling my pots, but my feet are dry and the hatches are dry and thats all that matters to me. P.S. I keep a spare bilge pump with me just in case.

Cheers Dan

Hey guys, should of bought a Seawirl Striper....:D:D Just kidding...;) SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

I used to have an 87 20' Trophy that I bought used. It was a good old boat but it had all of the problems mentioned above. Sat to low in the water aft and water would come in if to many people were back there. I also had a problem with water going thru the hole in the motor well where the steering cable etc. came thru. I ended up putting a third bilge pump in the crawl space under the mid section. Other than those two problems the boat worked well. :D

Hi Everyone:

I have a new to me '91 Trophy and while fishing around Gerald Is. on Friday, my feet got wet because of the crappy scuppers. Can anyone other Trophy owners tell me which scupper they installed (ex. Rabud) and the size please. In keeping with this forum, I got a 20 pound farmed spring off the north end of Gerald at 140 feet with a black/white hoochie travelling at 2.5 knots.

Thanks,

Mike
I couldn't stop mine from leaking boat sets too low drills small hole in the bottom of my fish tanks and put plugs in them that way it drains the water out and my bilge pump takes care of it keeps the weight down.

I have a 93 trophy 2002 walkaround put in pingpong scuppers and they work great
like others say just keep them clean. Easy to install also

Back