Trophy 1802 opinions

jbv

wondering if any of you have experience with Trophy boats, especially the 1802. looks great on paper as an alternative to a DE 17, with more room and comfort features. not a super high end craft i gather, but are they decent boats? solid and seaworthy? my aspirations do not require a huge boat, and i'll never have the cash flow to support that kind of boat/tow rig, etc. i'm thinking of a comfortable boat for a tall guy and wife or one fishing buddy, and ability to visit near shore (off shore lite) on good days, etc.

wondering if any of you have experience with Trophy boats, especially the 1802. looks great on paper as an alternative to a DE 17, with more room and comfort features. not a super high end craft i gather, but are they decent boats? solid and seaworthy? my aspirations do not require a huge boat, and i'll never have the cash flow to support that kind of boat/tow rig, etc. i'm thinking of a comfortable boat for a tall guy and wife or one fishing buddy, and ability to visit near shore (off shore lite) on good days, etc.
Can't speak to the 1802, but I had a 2002 for 17 years and loved it. Very seaworthy. I'm 6'2 and could sleep in it. They are a very good bang for the buck.

hb

I had a Trophy 2002 for about 5 years. It was a seaworthy boat it took me every where I wanted to go and it handled conditions rougher than I wanted to be in. The cons for me was the fit and finish was pretty poor, components used are often the cheapest. I also found the gell coat very hard to take care of. Mine had areas with lots of tiny pits in the gel coat and it oxidized very quickly.

I agree good bang for you buck but check for rot if it has wood in the transom

My friend has a 2004 1802 for years and it has caught more fish than we can recall. Trophy’s are great boats (after year 2000) and will last a lifetime if looked after. We have had it offshore swiftsure with no concerns. Don’t hesitate to buy one but make sure all the stuff attached to it is in good condition.

Check for a leaking fuel tank, I know of a few that had this problem. A biotch to fix if it does leak as they are under the fiberglass floor. Stringers and transom too of course. The successor to this, the 1903 Trophy Pro, is a nice boat for its size.

I have a 1802 great boat I love it. I’ve taken it to rivers inlet for 10 days Barkley sound for years. It is great for up to three people a little tight with 4 and a dog. You have to love the person to sleep in the cuddy. Put trim tabs on it when you get it it will help enormously

Back