Trolling with or against currents

Highliner

Hey guys,

I'd like to ask the members on this forum about trolling with and against the current. I've only ever had success trolling with the current. I have occasionally tried to turn back into it and troll against it, but don't ever seem to cover any ground. Usually I just pick up my gear and run back to where I want to fish.

However, when I'm fishing around a ton of boats, like in Sooke, boats are trolling in every direction (even when there is a decent current). I'm assuming that most guys around me have been fishing longer that me, so I'm trying to learn from watching others.

I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts. Thanks.

It is a false perception in currents ill use otter pt for an example so you start off trolling up first rock to the purple house as most of us do against the current it take you about 30 mins of you,your boat and gear in the prime fishing area now you turn around to re do the tact over again takes you less than 5 mins you are basically getting the fish as pure luck as your travelling so fast.

I go by the angle of my riggers as to what speed I go now saying that i usually bump up my speed a bit more going with the current
And from all the years I have fished there i always seem to get them at the stone house as i am making my turn into the tact because now i am going from 140 ft back into the tact zone and crossing over the prime depths again.

I also watch a lot out there especially smiley and the red bearded guy with the yellow 14ft tinny as they always fish in very tight if I see see them getting fish there I bring up my gear as well and do a shallow tact I remember years past 15 years ago we used to fish what we called the 44 ft tact off of otter that was it and our deepest rod was 33 ft.

Hope that helps

Good luck Wolf

I find that trolling with the current is fruitful, as you pass over a reef or around an underwater structure. From time spent diving I have seen the fish sit on the backside of the reef and see what the current brings over to them.
However as Wolf says I tend to watch the angle of my deep lines and increase or decrease speed as necessary.
If there is bait around it tends to move in the direction against the current. I don't mean that it goes that way all the time as it swims back and forth and sometimes circles. But over a period of time that is the direction the school will move.
I also find that slack tide at a reef can be very productive as this seems to be a time when fish move around a lot. This too is a very good time to have your lines up shallow. We have caught fish in as little as 10 feet with buzz bombs. My own personal best is a 24lb spring in about 20 feet of water at slack.

I usually like to tack back and forth a bit when going against the current. Get hits on the turns.

For some reason, I really dislike hauling up my gear and running back to the beginning of the "troll". I'm not sure why. I also have to fight the tendency to troll without turning. I like to find "tide rips" and "drift tides" to fish near. Usually can find a current heading the other way....

Also, I do prefer to fish in the clearer "blue water" than the light green stuff. Have more luck in the "blue". Seems to make a big difference. Probably just a visibility issue for the fish.

Back