Trolling squid for salmon

N

nootkaguide

Has anyone tried trolling squid for salmon. I have used them a tonne for halibut but what about salmon?

where bouts can you buy squid for bait. heading to renfrew never been fishin on the west coast as I've always been a river guy.

I buy them bulk through a grocery store on Vancouver Island

roscoe make sure you know what your doin if your not on a charter. Renfrew is a tough place to learn. Cool idea i wonder how you would rig em? maybe get an insert and set them up like a hootchie?

I've seen guys from Washington mooching with brined Squid and it looked easy enough to fit one into a large teaser head and then just stick the tandems front and back then drag it like a baitfish.

You can mooch em live as well. Basically the same rig as live herring. Works well up at Barkley when there is squid around. I always have a jig in the bottom of my tackle box for that very reason.
T2

Well I tried squid for the first time today (for salmon) across the hump in campbell river and wow I hooked into a halibut (Must must been) and I fought in for 20 minutes but I just couldnt keep up it just screemed out line and I chased it but couldnt keep up trying to do it all myself in the boat. **** me off....

How did you rig it? How big a squid?

I caught some squid in Australia on squid jigs. They were about 20 inches long though. Do guys have much luck in BC jigging them?

I bought a case of squid, and herring for that matter at Iceco in Victoria years ago. Not sure if they still sell it.

748 Market St.
Victoria, BC

Phone: (250) 384-5911

Back