Trolling rods

B

Butt Ugly

I want to get a couple more trolling rods and reels for when I have some friends and kids out in the boat with me. What is a good, cheap entry level rod and reel. I saw a Diawa Fire Wolf and reel setup in Canadian Tire for $150, and the label calls it a 10'6" mooching. Is something like this ok? Not too many places to buy a rod and reel up here on the Sunshine Coast.

Any better suggestions? Or should I cruise the garage sales this weekend and try to find something? I am not sure what I should be looking for regarding brands and weights.

My brother is probably going to the show at the tradex, will he find something there at a better price to pickup for me. I don't mind new if the price is good, but used is ok too.

I use 10'6 mooching rods for all my trolling rods - although kids might have trouble when it comes time to net a fish with a long rod like that.

Don't buy the fire wolf !!!! bought one first time I went to pop the clip rod snapped took it back to the store 8 months later finally got it back and same thing first time using it snapped in half, piece of S----. Chris

Best bang your buck (IMO) is the Shimano Talora series rods.
They can be had for just under $100.00 Cdn and are great off the rigger or as a mooching rod.
Use them with an M-one or GT4000 and you'll be very happy.
Medium fast tip and strong in the butt end.
Not going to see them at Canadian Tire but most tackle shops will carry them or can order them in a couple days.

Look into the shimano HDR series they are cheap and tough look for a medium heavy action in about a 9ft or 9ft6 length throw a Penn 320 level wind on it easy to use and very affordable great for the kids and adults.Its what I started with and even though I run some expensive rods and reels now, when the fishing gets tough my HDR (the meat pole)gets wet.

quote:Look into the shimano HDR series they are cheap and tough look for a medium heavy action in about a 9ft or 9ft6 length throw a Penn 320 level wind on it easy to use and very affordable great for the kids and adults.Its what I started with and even though I run some expensive rods and reels now, when the fishing gets tough my HDR (the meat pole)gets wet.

thats damn near the same set up i use and its dummy proof;)The reels are great for beginners, easy to use and if you set the drag rght you shouldnt snap any lines just due to inexperience.

-RobTufnail

I second the Talora. I don't use them but I buy them and others for our Puget Sound Anglers meetings raffle prizes. They are pretty much unbreakable. If you are using graphite, which we all know we are not supposed to for downriggers, but we still do, including myself, make sure the downrigger cable is not way back. This is where it is hard to release and breaks rods. I run Lamiglas and G-Loomis on my own boat, but watch guests if they are not experienced. You don't have to have a $200-300.00 rod to salmon fish but it is just personal preference. I really like the 10' 6 rods with backbone and touchie tip. You can see everything. I just picked up four Shimano Talora rods at the Monroe Sportsman show for $49.00 each for our club raffles. What a steal.

I bought a couple fenwick canadian method 10.5 for back ups and I am very happy with them, they are under 100.00 and have a good warrenty.
Chris

Hey salty, Andy needs to speak to ya if you can contact him at the shop it would be appreciated-dirty

Checked my rods while oiling the reels and they are actually TDR's not HDR's not sure what the difference is. I like the 9' rods as I can use the same rods for jigging. Jigging for flounder with the longer rods was impossible. Bit of a trade off but with limited space on the boat I don't want to double up on jigging and trolling rods. We only fish Chinooks and I've never had any problem noticing taps as long as I've got them cranked right down on the ball...

I've had TDR's but found that the guides wore out by mid season.
Replaced them with upgraded ones and they are fine but the Talora's have a way better feel and already come with good Fuji guides.

I find myself staring at the butt of a TDR with the rest of the rod broken off and sliding down towards my line on a good hard set. I really liked my Lamiglass 10'6" rods I got from Active, those things rewarded my sh*t and abuse with great service. And that includes my size 18's steppin' on them, and the usual respect that my guests give these things.

the TDR rods are good for a few seasons but they do wear out after a period of time(never had any breaks or anything). I find them great for springs, but overkill for most other salmon, i prefer using a abu garcia set up for the smaller species.

Redl's hs a glass rod that's about 9' and would work well for your needs-any store should be able to order you some.

You're going to check out the Shimanos based on a recommendation from a guy named "BrokenRod"?

hahaha :D

Back