trolling for sockeye

How long of leader should the dummy flasher be on? Should it be in line with the flasher and hootchie above It?

Guess folks will have to wait to SEE the pic's of the Jug Banging them Sox ........ I see no reason why not to put up a good photo of one's Sox riggin. Specially when the OP asked How do I rig for Sox ? ....... Others see it as a plug, get over it.

HT

If photos were not such a hassle to put on here I'd show my rig fpr Sox and some dudes would criticize that too ...... the jug application looks good !

How long of leader should the dummy flasher be on? Should it be in line with the flasher and hootchie above It?

You don't want the rotation of dummy flashers to tangle with a dummy flasher (or terminal gear) above it therefore go a little shorter length on your dummy tag line/leader length as compared to the distance on the cable up from first dummy to your next dummy (or the rod's terminal gear). For example I like 3-4' tag lines on my dummies if my next gear is clipped to cable 5' above the first one. If stacking, the bottom rod can be very tight to cable but rods above another have to have its flasher out from cable just far enough that it keeps clear of the bow(arc) in the line of the deeper rod as the line heads down to release clip. Dummies in-between stacked rod's lines can be done but trickier due to this and need to clear lines arc

thanks guys it will be interesting to experiment around. I also read about the bare hook set up, a head scratcher. found some Utube vids up on the Columbia as well.

Sockeye are a schooling agressive fish. My $0.02? Get out there and troll west 3-90 feet in 300+ feet of water, and work the rods as hard as you can until the sun comes up, then go home. My experience is time of day is more important then gear, any flasher with just about anything works, a red hoochie, 18 or so inches of leader (I usually don't check), and a heavy leader at that so you can winch 'em over the side quick and get back down fishing. Then when the sun comes up and the socks slow down, drag your Chinook gear around, last big run there were all kinds of Springs running out there with the socks. They are far from hard to catch, once you hit them you will know it!

Sockeye are a schooling agressive fish. My $0.02? Get out there and troll west 3-90 feet in 300+ feet of water, and work the rods as hard as you can until the sun comes up, then go home. My experience is time of day is more important then gear, any flasher with just about anything works, a red hoochie, 18 or so inches of leader (I usually don't check), and a heavy leader at that so you can winch 'em over the side quick and get back down fishing. Then when the sun comes up and the socks slow down, drag your Chinook gear around, last big run there were all kinds of Springs running out there with the socks. They are far from hard to catch, once you hit them you will know it!

...sage advice ;o)

Thank goodness the sox in Johnstone Straits are more civilized and bite all day according to the tides..

lots of good advice here, thanks. any notions about 'where' you decide to start looking. down this side of the line, we would be searching for Coho out by the yellow buoy, 450' of water. or Chinook along the edges in much shallower water. humpies tended to be in the same general areas as the Coho, how about the sockeye??

What are your thoughts about stacking lines with dummy flashers? I run a dummy flasher between the stacked lines of the rods, and of course you need to remove that dummy flasher when reloading the bottom rod's line to the clip. Is it standard practice to use the dummy flasher between the stacked rods? If you put all the dummies at the bottom, you wouldn't need to remove the dummies to get to your rods' lines. Something like pictured here: http://www.anglingbc.com/sockeye-strategies/

Last edited by a moderator:
There will be so many fish this year it will be hard to not fill the boat. A good year to do some experimenting with different stuff to expand your bag of tricks. I prefer running short dummies so you don't get gear tangles. If the fishing is hot I also go to only 2 rods. I find that when the bite is on there is more time wasted dealing with 4 tangled fish flopping around on deck. Cutting back to 2 rods allows for faster cycling of the gear and less hassle. Also helps to have 2 nets so you can deal with multiple fish at the same time. Let the chaos begin!

we used to use around 25-35 hotspot flashers per line , x 6 lines.
we would run until we found fish on sounder , chuck out the gear on em , tack west or against the flow of migration ,
we would see the school building under us , but had to get em to start biting.... our trick was cut wheel hard over port and hard over starboard , give it a little shot of throttle and then set it back to a nice normal speed , then all hell would usually break lose.
dont pull them , let them run up and down and load up on all gear , then wail away and fill the coolers :)
sport fishing i use six mini hotspots or flaten out old abe and als as dummies, lest drag , with 20 lb round ball.
put a couple rods with hotspots on top of the bling. usually a number 5 super sharp hook and a swivelled dark red hootchie... pick out every second or third strand and make sure hook has lots of swing and movement for action. This seems to work very well for us.

Nice one Capt Hook...a little shake and bake, or what I call a Crazy Ivan. Works every time, and keeps the other guys thinking there's a little impaired driving going on. You pretty much covered most of the top things to do to catch em. Except what an old west coast troller taught me years and years ago about 5/0 BLACK hooks. Met him at his "retirement" garage sale, and when I spotted his tub full of the red hoochies he said "those don't work all that well compared to just hooks, so you can have them for free, they are no good". That got my attention, and made me listen a whole lot more carefully.

we used to use around 25-35 hotspot flashers per line , x 6 lines.
we would run until we found fish on sounder , chuck out the gear on em , tack west or against the flow of migration ,
we would see the school building under us , but had to get em to start biting.... our trick was cut wheel hard over port and hard over starboard , give it a little shot of throttle and then set it back to a nice normal speed , then all hell would usually break lose.
dont pull them , let them run up and down and load up on all gear , then wail away and fill the coolers :)
sport fishing i use six mini hotspots or flaten out old abe and als as dummies, lest drag , with 20 lb round ball.
put a couple rods with hotspots on top of the bling. usually a number 5 super sharp hook and a swivelled dark red hootchie... pick out every second or third strand and make sure hook has lots of swing and movement for action. This seems to work very well for us.
Made a downpayment on my first house doing that very thing! ;)
T2

Here you go, the final "official" word on the Sockeye Opening. Note the preliminary forecast could go up over 2 million. The WCVI Chinook and Sockeye forecasts are out also. Looking like things are shaping up to be a great year.

RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0329-RECREATIONAL - Sockeye - Area 23 - Barkley Sound, Alberni Inlet, and the tidal portion of the Somass River - Opening - May 1, 2014

Effective 00:01 hours May 1, 2014 until further notice the daily quota for the
tidal recreational fishery for sockeye salmon will be as follows:

-Area 23, Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet, four (4) sockeye per day except for:

-that portion of 23-1 from the tidal boundary signs at Paper Mill Dam on the
Somass River downstream to a line commencing at a boundary sign in upper
Alberni Harbour situated at 49 degrees 14.190 north latitude and 124 degrees
50.230 west longitude then through the southern most point of Hoik Island then
to the flashing green light at the mouth of the Somass River then due east to a
boundary sign on the opposite shore will be two (2) sockeye per day.

Variation Order Number 2014-99

Please Note: that these limits are subject to change on short notice depending
on in-season information.

The 2014 preseason sockeye forecast is 1.6 million pieces. The Department has
been working with the Area 23 Salmon Harvest Committee which includes members
of the Port Alberni SFAC and has agreed to the above opening to the sockeye
recreational fishing season.

The Somass Sockeye in-season stock assessment program will operate as in
previous years. This program collects escapement, test-fishing, catch and
environmental information on a weekly basis. This information is used to
prepare weekly fishing plans and in-season run-size reforecasts.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact the Fisheries and Oceans Canada Port Alberni office at 250 720 4440 or
visit our website at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0329
Sent April 24, 2014 at 15:40
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you have any questions or would like to unsubscribe, please contact us via e-mail to: OpsCentre@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Last year green flashers were all the rage for Sox in the Inlet for some.

My guide friends were using flasher with Purple body and gold metal on the sides.......worked very good for them.

Back