Trip to ukie

wolf

So the GF surprised me of a trip to ukie to storm watch and comb the beaches stayed at a real nice place overlooking big bay, BELIEVE it or not lived on the island all my life never been up there....
So first morning off we go to all the beaches find a few japan bottles a marker etc yesterday find 1 glass blown red light buld about 11 inches long all intact with japanese writing on top today found a white and a red.

Dined at the pub in tofino near the blue heron as we went all the way there for the sushi bar only to find it "CLOSED" WTF.
was really good was impressed...

NOW the bad we were told the "OFFSHORE" was good in ukie so off we went as they had sushi have to say it was the worst service I have ever seen in my life the waitress was good but waiting for food was down right retarded, we got there at 6:10 there were 8 diners and 4 at the bar so im thinking cool this wont take long.....WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!we sat and ordered 6 sushi rolls and a bowl of chowder after waiting 45 mins for the appys my GF asked ahhh can you check on our appy order .................. as we wait a bit longer she comes back saying they are just slicing the rolls now and it takes about 3 mins a roll to make (TRUST me on this Ive made them takes about 3 mins to make them all maybe 5 if your slow especially when all the ingredients are in front of you and thats by yourself not 2 people behind there!!!!)......RIGHT ON I think to myself 5 mins later they come and dissapointing the fish i could smell....not a good sign as we all know FRESH fish doesnt stink.so there we are with our sushi rolls and wait once again for the chowder.....MY GOD....
So we eat what resembles a sushi roll it was ok not great but ok its now about 7:15 the waitress comes back and says it will be right out....... You know at the end of Jeopardy that tune!!!!!!!well im hearing it in my head at 7:40 im now pissed off still no dinner the people behind us got so mad they up and left an hour ago, she finally comes back and says there plating right now I say WOW REALLY...... the food came it was good i must admit but to wait almost 2 hours for it was very very bad.we left at 8 pm and NO didnt leave a tip.
And before you ask there was lots of staff on...if I wasnt with friends I would have got up and walked out ILL never suggest or recommend this place EVER. complete joke and waste of time.
So DONT GO THERE!!!!!!!!

Wolf

Had the exact same experience our first time in uckee a few years back at the offshore. THe food was good, but 5 of us waited 2.5 hours for our meals. Never went back. Got stupid drunk waiting for the food though...

I have never eaten there before. Good heads up on the wait time. That Roman's pizza joint is awesome and so is Cynamoka for breakfast and coffee (best damn breakfast sandwich ever).

Sorry to hear of your experience Wolf!
Next time, drop a dime... :D

Don't know Tofu, nor the places to eat there. Always been a little on the "Huggy" side for this ol' Redneck (no offense to those who like it there, simply not my cup of tea as it were...).

There a a few rather good options for grits in Ukee:

- Black Rock offers an amazingly affordable breakfast and lunch menu. Their dinners are a tad more pricey, but the food (and service) is Excellent! One of the better bets.

- The Floathouse in the main boat basin is Excellent! Great menu, good Folks and very affordable.

- The Matheson House on the main drag has THE Best prime rib on the Coast! I am certain their other offerings are just as good, but it seems I simply can't get away from that fantastic beef every time I wander in there!

- Jiggers in the mobile truck, parked adjacent to the Cold Beer & Wine store. The best halibut Fish 'n Chips you've eaten! Great for when you are on the run...

- The Driftwood (next to the Cop Shop) has great seafood. Kind of a funky building but the food is excellent and the prices are great!

There are of course others, but these jump to mind instantly. How can you tell I never cook when I'm over there... all season that is! LOL!

Interesting you were already finding debris from Japan washed up! Guess their predictions on that were about as sound as The Dino's regarding salmon run predictions eh? :confused:
Dunno what that's going to spell for the upcoming season! Like High Five, I have visions of maneuvering through a mine field to try and catch your fish! LOL! Likely make for some interesting "souvenirs" this summer though...

Never have gone down there to watch the winter storms. See just enough of that in the operating season that I don't really relish the thought of actually going there to do so. Sounds like you ENJOYED beyond the restaurant issue. Next time, you will have the right info Buddy!

Cheers,
Nog

I will be heading west for some storm watching in Jan. I really appreciate the feedback on this subject. Two eateries that aren't mentioned, but have some good reviews are the Blue Room and Norwoods.. Anyone tried them? Comments???

Nog is right about that Jiggers gut wagon. One of the best burgers I have ever had. Buddies had the fish and chips and they were excellent also.

Cuba send me a PM and ill tell you which beach had the most goodies .... LOL

As for that place id never ever go back maybe if they gave me a free dinner for myself and my friends that came up to visit, I dont know how in the world they manage to survive in this day with there lack laster service the waitress had to go back and ask the "cook" about different things.. its not like there menu is huge very limited really I asked how big a size portion is the black cod??? in ounces?? she had this deer caught in head lights look??? ummm ill go ask?? cmonwhen there is only 6 or 8 things on as an entree shouldnt be too hard.

Ill know for next time if I ever go up again.
I know for sure when I go to Holmes place it will be 10 times better in a few weeks hopefully.

Everything else was fantastic and I had an awesome time loved the whole place up there but man does it rain LOL LOL

Wolf

Hey Wolf-- thought you might like an update on Ukie fine dining!!! The warden and myself just returned from four days vegging-out and looking for treasure along the drift lines.

For two days we had the biblical flood happening. With driving rain, and 40 mph winds I didnt see much in the way of treasure . But the cute surfer gals attired in tight neoprene wetsuits sort of made up for that!! The surf off Ampritrite (sp) was mind numbing.

But as far as the eats...By a country mile, the Norwoods Restaurant, alone, was worth the trip over the rockpile. Without giggling like a little girl , the food was to die for!! I had rack of lamb and the warden had a steak with a rendered au jus . The spuds, fresh veggies, and the vino were a trip all in their selves. The portions were generous and I have no hesitation saying that the $100 that we paid was worth it!.

The local pizza joint-- Romans... while not fancy, made a great pizza.. Beats the hell out of Pizza Hut. As recommended by Iron Noggin and others, the fish and chips at the Jiggers lunch van was a great deal. (tip--- a two piece will easily feed TWO hungry seniors!) at less than $10/person. (BTW Nog-- I told them about your recommendation and they asked me to let you know that they appreciate you comment)

The other one that was recommended and did not ring our bells was the Black Rock. A really "Fine Dining" ambiance, but the food was a let-down. While the squash soup was tasty ( as was the beet salad the warden had) , the main entrees were tiny and not worth the big bucks we paid ($140 for two) We had Beef medallions, with some obscure veggies .

Lastly-- the burgers we had at the Shelter in Tofino deserve a gold star as well.... Awesome!

Final comment-- I got a couple of surprised looks from locals when I told them about the negative report on Offshore .... But we didnt go there so a personal appraisal will have to wait.

Thanks for that maybe the locals will get there head around whats good and whats not good. IN all the years ive been involved in the food industry that place is by far the WORST ive EVER seen!!!!!! their menu isnt that big, not really that hard to do as well. I should know was in the industry and trained by the finest chefs for over 25 years.
I personally would never suggest that place I am still ticked off about it. but ill get over it LOL LOL

Too bad you didnt find any treasures though we got up at first light just to hit the beaches before anyone else got to them.

Wolf

Only place I've ever had food poisoning....now I know why! I'll stick to Ucluelet.

That place is in ukie.
I know ive been hard on this place the food itself wasnt all that bad . it was just the who gives a shiat attitude I didnt like and 2 hours.
I tell you if chef ramsay did a kitchen nightmares on that place there would be a lot of F bombs coming from his mouth I know for sure the sushi wasnt all that fresh as well.

Just dont go to this place .....

Wolf

If you're ever in Ukee you have to try Jiggers for sure, not only is the fish and chips the best but their burgers are awesome as well, can't tell ya how many Big Jig's I've had and Shelley and Shane are awesome people.

Matterson House is always a good bet for supper (amazing steak), and yeah I'll agree with some of the other posts that the Shelter in Tofino never dissapoints.

I've never eaten at Norwoods but have heard it's good too.

I've had breakfast at the Blue Room and it was good, great homemade waffles there. Romans pizza is also very good. I wouldn't go in the Peninsula. I ate at the Driftwood once and never went back, had a nice rubbery burger. In the summer their seafood is good though. I imagine it's closed right now.

Yep rains a bit there huh.....lol. Can't wait to get back there, less than a month I'll be back to the Wild Side.

Edit: If your going to storm watch go to Wickaninnish Beach and walk past the Interpretive Centre to the left and up the hill. Keep walking, you'll find a small beach where huge waves funnel in but be careful it can be quite dangerous. Wild pacific trail is a great walk to watch a storm too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Japan debris

I know that this thread ended up being mainly about the local eateries, but I'm wondering if there are any updates on the Japan debris situation? Haven't heard anyone talking about it lately. Did Wolf just happen to be there on the day it happened and that was it? No radiant souvenirs for the rest of us? :D

Not much yet-predictions I've seen online say it looks to be another year before the bulk arrives-if it ever does.

Back