Trim Tabs

B

BOJANGLE

One of my trim tabs will go down but won't come back up.. Is it the ram, the pump. ot could it be right in the switch ? The other side works great. Anybody have any similar problems ?

If it's a set of Bennetts, I'd suggest going to your switch and reversing the wiring to the pump, that way you have working switch contacts and can test if it's either the pump solenoid or cylinder. I'm guessing it isn't the pump as you say it is pumping on one side; I'd suspect it's the cylinder but that's just an uneducated guess.

If it's Bennetts, they have a very good website with lotsa tech details for troubleshooting. They have replacement parts dating back to the stone age and many parts are interchangeable. They have some pretty smart looking new features (eg. tab indicators) that might be worth a look if you're doing any replacing.

Zeke

Thanks Zeke.. There are 4 different wires coming off the switch plus the live feed from the battery... The switch has, Port up, port down, strbd up and strbd down, and bow up and bow down positions, When I operate the port side (which is the side that works) there is power at all 4 wires... not sure if that is normal, and the strbd tab, which doesn't work) only goes down when you operate the bow down switch.. I know.. kinda confusing..
So I wouldn't know which wires to switch at the switch...
At the pump , 2 of the wires go right into the pump, and the other 2 each go to a round thing on top of the pump.. is these solenoids ?

Do you mean one IS down and won't come back up? If the other side works correct then you have a soliniod or switch failure.
quote:Originally posted by BOJANGLE

One of my trim tabs will go down but won't come back up.. Is it the ram, the pump. ot could it be right in the switch ? The other side works great. Anybody have any similar problems ?

And is the solenoid one of those 2 round things on top of reservoir ?

I have copied the diagnostic info from The Hull Truth website, look for the TabMan forum.

Troubleshooting
1.If one side is not operating reverse hydraulic lines on the front of the Hydraulic Power Unit to determine if the malfunction is in HPU or actuator / hydraulic lines. If after reversing the lines symptom shifts to the other side the malfunction may exist in HPU. If the symptom remains on the same side, malfunction may exist with the actuator / hydraulic lines

2. Is the unit receiving a solid 12 volts? Low voltage will some times cause the solenoids to not open preventing the tabs from moving even though the pump motor is running.

3. Conduct the following test:
Remove the wires from the helm control and touch together as follows:
Operation=Reaction
Orange (+), blue, red= Port trim tab down
Orange (+), blue, green=Starboard trim tab down
Orange (+), blue, red, green= Both trim tabs down
Orange (+), yellow, red= Port trim tab up
Orange (+), yellow, green=Starboard trim tab up
Orange (+), yellow, red, green= Both trim tabs up
If the trim tabs function correctly for each wire grouping then the switch is at fault. Also note that any loose or missing screws on the back of the switch (whether a wire is connected there or not) can cause the pump to malfunction.
This test may also be done right at the pump by substituting a "hot lead" for orange. There is usually a connector to the wire harness within a foot or so of the pump. You want to check this connection for corrosion. You may wish to cut the connector off on the pump side and try the test on bare wires.

4. If you suspect corrosion on the wire connector near the pump, cut it out, test as above and reconnect using butt splices.

5. If you conclude the problem is in the pump, contact me. Bennett Trim Tab Systems carry a five year warranty. We also offer a trade in program for units out of warranty. Contact us for further details after you troubleshoot the system.

6. Check to see if there is a relay in line on the wiring harness near the hydraulic power unit. If there is it is an Interrupter Relay (IR1000). It prevents the system fuse from blowing if you try to actuate one trim tab up and the other down at the same time. After you test as outlined above, try removing the relay from the wiring harness and retest the unit. If it works the IR1000 will need to be replaced

That is an awesome site...Thanks for sharing it.. I actually just came in and although, I didn't reverse the lines , I reversed the solenoids and the same problem continues and it seems the switch is sending out the right signals to the pump/solenoid.
So which seems to be leaves the actuator. Does anyone know if it hurts anything to reverse solenoids.. they look identical.
thanks for all the help.

The solenoids are identical, just wired with different color wire to simplify setup. The pump has very little power when sucking (Tab retract) Try aggressively to push the actuator up wile someone runs the pump for you. you may get lucky and get it unstuck. Always leave your trim tabs in the up position when the boat is not in use.
quote:Originally posted by BOJANGLE

That is an awesome site...Thanks for sharing it.. I actually just came in and although, I didn't reverse the lines , I reversed the solenoids and the same problem continues and it seems the switch is sending out the right signals to the pump/solenoid.
So which seems to be leaves the actuator. Does anyone know if it hurts anything to reverse solenoids.. they look identical.
thanks for all the help.

I love this site.. learning something new all the time.... Now if it ever quits pouring here in Chemainus, I'll get out there and try your suggestion.

i have the same trimtab problemmif the fluid is low try filling it with automatic trans fluid

Thanks bee. That was my first thought too, but wasn't the problem with mine. I'm going to reverse the lines today and that should isolate the actuator, I'm hoping...then, it's just spend more money on another one... lol

Back