Trim Tabs??

rmj002

I have bought some Bennett trim tabs for my Trophy. The website says that it is a do yourself install. Anyone with any experince? Thoughts or suggestions... I am always a little leary drilling holes in a boat. Can the tab be mounted in front of the Kicker??
I have lots of clearence when the bracket is lowered.

MJ

I had mine in front of the kicker, no problems there. The only thing I would do different then the instructions is scuff the hull good where the trim tab will bolt on, and then sand the part of the tab that meets the hull, that way, the Sikaflex or 3M 5200 that you use to seal it will have that much more to bite into to seal and hold things. Don't use silicone.

I also have a Trophy and just got the Bennett M120 trim tabs with EIC5000 unit (auto-retract, tab postion indictor, rocker switch all in one). That hydraulic pump unit is huge. Where are you going to mount it on your Trophy. Any other Trophy owners please chime in.
On another note, I also just got Scotty 1106 (60 inch boom) electric downriggers and am wondering where to mount them (or if at all). I can mount them at the back corners of the boat, but my kicker is on the port side and it is a manual start and everything is controlled from the tiller handle. I thought the downrigger mounted on the port rear corner would get in the way. I could use scotty gimbal mounts as I have flush mounted rod holders that are bolted and reinforced on each side of the boat. I would have to get the 9 inch models and they seem like they would protrude about an inch above the gunnel and wiggle. Anyone with Trophy's want to express an opinion on where they mounted their electric downriggers or if they have used gimbal mounts before? Thanks,

Mike

I just opened the box and boy is that pump unit huge. I have dual batteries so it could be tight. I might look at mounting up under the cuddy and run longer Hyd. tubes. Just a thought.
I have had the Problem mounting my down riggers. Post a email address and can send you some pics. I mounted then about 10 inchs behind the Gimbel mounts. Half of the plate on the on boat fiberglass half on the metal.

I added large backing plates on both sides and have no problems with 10 lb balls. I have not had to extend the arms and never had a tangle with the lines or motors.

Last Chance any word how the Native marina faired after that October Strom. Booking my weekends at for Renfrew for 08.

The unit is easier to install in strendrive boats compared to outboards. But what difference. I have a 21' hardtop trophy, I always start out of the hole with full bow down trim she pops out of the water faster. As soon as she's up on step I trim it back to full bow up and adjust the throttle for cruising speed. With heavy chop I trim bow down as required, I can take a 3' moderate with full bow down trim at cruising speed 22-25 mph with no pounding. With no trim taps I would be just slugging through it, pounding. I also installed a SE SPORT 300 hyrofoil on my cavitation plate which creates lift at the leg, that also helps.

I installed my Bennett M80 tabs on my 18.5 ft Double Eagle. The install took 3-4 hours but went quite smoothly. My batteries are on my starboard side so I had to place the pump on the port side and had just enough electrical wire to run to the switch at the helm. I agree with using lots of SikaFlex and triple check everything before you start to cut holes. I thought about epoxying the inside of the hole in the transom before attaching the acutator and applying Sikaflex; however, I ended up SikaFlexing the actuator mount, the screws and the inside of the transom hole really well - have had no problems. Unless I know the mechanic doing the job, I think I would rather do it to ensure it was done right. Feel free to email me if you want more info. Check out the link to this forum, a Bennett rep provides lots of info: http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=4

I have a 21 trophy the pump is big I also have dual batteries I live in Nanaimo if you want you can take a look

Back