trim tab recommendation

coholips

Looking for some advice on trim tabs. I currently run Smart Tabs SX which are the inexpensive auto leveling type. I just can't seem to get them dialed in on my 19.5 foot Glasply. I have a pretty good lean on my port side due to kicker and they help a bit but sometimes kinda flake out when I need control most. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Hopefully someone can share their experience with something similar to my setup. I've included a couple boat pictures for reference.

Attachments

• dscn2496q.jpg
    dscn2496q.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 270
  • dscn2498x (Large).jpg
    dscn2498x (Large).jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 251
I installed Bennet trim tabs on my 18' Silver streak. Made a noticeable difference I and was able to make very fine adjustments to how the boat handled especially in rough water.

Thank's Statler. Rough water is where I have the most issues with my current tabs. Does your Silverline have a pretty deep v hull? Is there a steep leaning curve for the Bennet tabs?

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/indicators.php?cID=2

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/autotabcontrol.php?cID=4

http://www.shopzilla.com/trim+tab+indicator/search

The ones on my boat work fine but I only have the two up down toggle switches and find them a pita without position indicator lights. Worth the extra money and would save you a lot of messing around tapping the toggle switch trying to get them bang on once you manage to get them way out of trim. If I ever get new ones, they will have indicator lights.

PS the Auto tab control looks interesting. Kind of like anti skid brakes on cars but for boat trim with lots of small fast auto corrections.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put Bennett trim tabs on my old boat - Campion 542 Explorer - and they are on my current boat - Striper 2101 WA. Basic toggle switches on both. They work(ed) great. Learning curve is short, once you figure out that "quick hit" minor corrections are the best way to go. I use my engine trim to get the bow up and down and use the tabs for left/right orientation. Frankly, once the left/right is set, I find I don't have to make very many adjustments at all - unless currents change or people start moving around on the boat.

I've run Boat Leveler trim tabs on my 92 Seasport trouble free, thats 21 years!! Work great at doing what you want a set of tabs to do. Less expensive than Bennetts. They were factory equipment on all Sea Sports and they made a great boat with quality hardware and fittings.

Great info as always! Thanks for the input. I'm going to go with the new Bennet M-120 Sport Tabs with Electronic Indicator Control.

The M120's are great tabs, had 2 sets of them now,
you will love them, easy learning curve you really don't need the EIC either after the first couple times you use them itll be second nature you'll just be going by the feel and attitude of the boat and wont be looking at those lights, if your really concerned you can always look back and see the spray,
remember tiny taps the do take a couple seconds to respond

you can always add it later, it is plug and play I believe

I do agree with BB in that once I get them dialed in side to side I usually don’t mess with them other than the odd small tap corrections for a couple of large friends weight or a sharp turn which I count the taps in my head and then reverse out of the turn. It is possible on mine to get it so out of/or over trimmed that it can develop bow steer and takes some playing around with it to get back trimmed up which is OK in flat calm weather but more interesting in bigger waves. I have learned to work the trim well and I have digital readout on degree of motor trim with the smart meter, but it would be NICE to have the visual indicators that would allow me to reset the tab trim immediately back to optimal for straight travel at speed for my boat (instant reset) without having to mess around with it by feel and reaction when I would rather be concentrating on something else. I guess that is why they make trim indicators and I suspect different boat and trim tab combinations react somewhat differently.

PS mine is also a Glasply, a bit larger than yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bennetts. I got the M120 Sport Tabs. Best money I ever spent on my boat!
Dave

Back