Trim Tabs and Rough water Operation

It's all about getting that stern out of the water. Especially on bigger v hulls. Nice work

I tested a 19P Revolution 4 yesterday, wow is the boat fast now highest speed was about 50.2 MPH @ WOT. With the Prop I was just able to hit the maximum WOT RPM of 5400. Boat was super stable even at high speed, Didn't even have to touch my trim tabs at all just al little engine trim.

Interesting is that large jump in fuel consumption on the high end, we went over those point a few time to check if its right. I did change the trim at that point so that might explain it...

The boat will comfortably plane down to 20MPH which is a big improvement over the three blade.

Think I found my prop, now I just want see what raising the engines a hole or two does.

1623515359095.png

Love this. It's identical to my "correct" prop story from my last boat. Completely changed the ride quality and the 10% higher fuel burn was quickly forgotten.

I tested a 19P Revolution 4 yesterday, wow is the boat fast now highest speed was about 50.2 MPH @ WOT. With the Prop I was just able to hit the maximum WOT RPM of 5400. Boat was super stable even at high speed, Didn't even have to touch my trim tabs at all just al little engine trim.

Interesting is that large jump in fuel consumption on the high end, we went over those point a few time to check if its right. I did change the trim at that point so that might explain it...

The boat will comfortably plane down to 20MPH which is a big improvement over the three blade.

Think I found my prop, now I just want see what raising the engines a hole or two does.

View attachment 67074
Nice

Nice! Yes the Rev 4 is a good prop for boats like our fishing boats. I run a similar prop. Keep in mind that, although your gph fuel burn may be a bit higher, you are running faster now at a given rpm so your mpg is probably better than it was with the old prop. Good work. A properly propped boat also gets up on the water and makes the boat more fun to drive! Enjoy.

Love reading this. It really re enforces that i should grab a 4 blade for my boat. My challenges aren't as extreme as this seasports, but i need the stern lift to ease off on the tabs. Currently on a 15 pitch yamaha stainless ( boat should have had a 17p from factory). Looking for a 16 pitch power tech 4 blade or a rev 4 16 pitch.

tried to order a powertech and back ordered....Would settle for a 16 or 17 pitch yamaha in the mean time. Burning to much fuel with this 15 pitch.

View attachment 67074
Where are they letting you test props? I’ve called a couple places in Vic and they don’t allow it. Pretty expensive test when a stainless prop is a grand.

Where are they letting you test props? I’ve called a couple places in Vic and they don’t allow it. Pretty expensive test when a stainless prop is a grand.

That sucks! My dealer had several different props for me to try

Inlet Marine has been letting me borrow props, They are great to work with!

View attachment 67074
4 blade is way to go and if you add Permatrim you will not have to touch tabs

Hey Guys I through I would Share Something new I learned about Propeller Selection. AS you know from above I reprop'd to REV 4 19P blades on my boat Performance has been fantastic. However I noticed that the Port side engine was burning about 20% more fuel than the Starboard Engine while on plane. After playing around a bit I figured out that its related to the tolerances in the propeller manufacturing. after Discussing this with Inlet Marine they let me test a second set of REV 4 props with the same pitch.

1628572325389.png
From the Graphs above you see the difference between the first set and second set. Its pretty obvious that the Second set is better matched than the first set.

The combined fuel burn and speed doesn't change much
1628572425049.png

The just for interest Sake you can see my MPG is better with set 2 in the 3000 to 4000 RPM range

1628572492457.png

Anyway Just though some of you might find this interesting.

I own a 24 Wellcraft walk around with a 225 optimax with a 3 blade 19 pitch prop. Top speeds at 4200 rpm probably around 32 mph.. to be honest my hole shot sucks and low speed planning sucks even with trim tabs... fuel efficiency isn't too bad. If I went to a 4 blade would my hole shot improve dramatically and fuel efficiency? Just wondering if its worth it or not
Call Alberni marine and they will tell you which prop you need. You should be getting at least 5300 rpm

Back