Transport Canada boat test

R

rainbow one

Can anyone help me out getting started with having the stability test done? I do not know who to contact, or the proper web site to go to. Thanks in advance for any info.

RO

Contact your local Transport Canada Office, For Victoria, call Boris Glazer. If you want his email address, PM me. THe stability test is simple, you will have to put weight to the tune of 75KG per passenger, then move it from one side of the boat to another and record the list. I think anything less then 15 degrees is the magic number, and ensuring no scuppers go under water.

You don't need a set 75KG for each person, for me, I had to simulate 7 passengers, so I had a few 100L coolers and a rain barrel.

It's the least difficult portion of the test.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Thanks for the info. How many tests do I have to get done to be able to take people out on the boat as a commercial operator? I have been told that I will need to have a sticker on the boat to prove that the boat has passed?

RO

You need to have an marine emergency duty coarse MED1 or Med2, the boat must pass a stability test based on how many passengers you are appling for, and you must carry all the required TC equipment on board. Your VHF must be working, bilge pumps, have a radar reflector, specific life jackets etc etc. Boris in the Victoria office will get you up to speed....just don't let him push you into equipment or modifications you aren't required to have or do...he will try.

You need to have an marine emergency duty coarse MED1 or Med2, the boat must pass a stability test based on how many passengers you are appling for, and you must carry all the required TC equipment on board. Your VHF must be working, bilge pumps, have a radar reflector, specific life jackets etc etc. Boris in the Victoria office will get you up to speed....just don't let him push you into equipment or modifications you aren't required to have or do...he will try.

Transport Canada’s certification requirements for the commercial marine industry changed regularily for a while there. As of November 7, 2009, and over the next few years, the requirements for commercial vessels, passenger vessels, crew boats and fishing boats are changing to make the Small Vessel Operator Proficiency (SVOP) course mandatory along with the already-necessary Marine Emergency Duties (MED) course (As far as I know if you have your Power Squadron certificate that would make the SVOP redundant). The SVOP certificate requirements are for anyone who operates the boat or may be called upon to do so."
A First Aid cert. and Radio Operaters cert. are also required. Changes to your vessel can be made necessary as well as all the required saftey equipment needed. At one time gunnel height was an issue and some vesels were required to add railings. High water alarms and a change to metal "through Hulls" at the water line were also required at one time but just not sure whether those are is still required. A while ago when I consulted with TC there was a lack consistancy from inspector to inspector as far as requirments. I think things have improved since then, hopefully. Requirements are still quite different for vessels over 5 tons as far as I know. Anyone know ? A life raft may still be required for over 5 ton ??
( over approx approx 27 ft)
Good luck.

Transport Canada’s certification requirements for the commercial marine industry changed regularily for a while there. As of November 7, 2009, and over the next few years, the requirements for commercial vessels, passenger vessels, crew boats and fishing boats are changing to make the Small Vessel Operator Proficiency (SVOP) course mandatory along with the already-necessary Marine Emergency Duties (MED) course (As far as I know if you have your Power Squadron certificate that would make the SVOP redundant). The SVOP certificate requirements are for anyone who operates the boat or may be called upon to do so."
A First Aid cert. and Radio Operaters cert. are also required. Changes to your vessel can be made necessary as well as all the required saftey equipment needed. At one time gunnel height was an issue and some vesels were required to add railings. High water alarms and a change to metal "through Hulls" at the water line were also required at one time but just not sure whether those are is still required. A while ago when I consulted with TC there was a lack consistancy from inspector to inspector as far as requirments. I think things have improved since then, hopefully. Requirements are still quite different for vessels over 5 tons as far as I know. Anyone know ? A life raft may still be required for over 5 ton ??
( over approx approx 27 ft)
Good luck.

Radio and first aid not required for under 5 gross tons and less than 12 passengers.

Hey profisher I was in the understanding you needed both first aid and a ROC/MC ? I was also told at TC that Power Squadron did not replace SVOP. I wish they would improve their website to make things a little more clear.

beemer

Beemer, Boris went through my boat as usual this spring with the stability test added...never mentioned first aid or radio...I get all the TC bulletins..nothing yet. He did mention the SVOP was need by November at about $750.00. I told him when they get all the completely non compliant guys caught up to me and others I will have no problem taking the coarse. I'm not spending another $750.00 until the play field is level.

Seems nothing has much changed with TC. The communication and consistancy of info being passed along to the public is still obviously far from perfect....as it was a few years ago when I commercially registered my boat.
One thing however is I have learned about TC is just because one inspector doesn't mention a first aid certificate (while doing a stability test) doesn't mean first aid is not a requirement. Believe me, with TC you can't assume things. As far as I know it has always been a requirement....but then again that could have changed just like several things did in the last few years....or I was given inconsistant info on requirements !!
I guess really..who wouldn't want 'up to date' first aid training anyway, especially when running a charter business ?

Back