Transducer Upgrade

I have a Lowrance HDS9 and I'm looking to upgrade the transducer. I've done some research and have narrowed it down to 2 or 3 (I think). I would like to hear people's experience with the Airmar P66 (transom mount - not my first choice), the Airmar B60 (not sure about cutting a hole in the bottom of my boat!), and the P79 (apparently the same transducer as the P66 but the shoot through the hull model)? Which will give the best overall performance for regular east and west VI fishing? Thanks.

glass or aluminum hull? Im a very happy user of through hulls on glass and aluminum hulls and I have no problem cutting holes to accommodate them but I have set up external transducers to shoot through the(fibre glass) hull and it worked great but there was a bit of signal loss.

Im just upgrading my electronic and will be going with the Xsonic SS164 zero degree which is the P66 in a through hull made for aluminum boat bottoms.

Last edited:
I've got HDS10 and the P79 and I didn't notice much difference from the stock 50/200. It was a bit better, but I was hoping for more. One thing you have to worry about with the P79 is that you have no air bubbles in the fiberglass where you mount it. If you go for the B60 just beware of where your boat sits on the trailer, you don't want the transducer sitting on the rollers/bunks. Have a friend that had a M260 in his last boat and it was incredible the difference that one had. It was like black/white vs HD tv. But there is a huge price to pay to have that compared to the transducers your looking at.

Run both the P66 and the P 79 on my boat..P66 is the better of 2 :)
Nice to hear the P66 is better. thinking of switching out mine for the P79. Is there a big difference Derby?

B60, p79, p66 are essentally the same transducer. They all have the same guts.

B60 is brass through hull as in drill a frickin hole in the hull

P66 plastic transom mount

P79 plastic shoot through hull. So this one will lose power depending on how thick your glass is.

P79 plastic shoot through hull. So this one will lose power depending on how thick your glass is.
I think that is what my problem is, the fiberglass in the bottom of my Hourston must be a least a 1/2" thick.

I've had the 66 and 79, both were great. Like the 79 because you can't break it off and it'll never get fouled with weeds, only downfall is no temp reading

I think that is what my problem is, the fiberglass in the bottom of my Hourston must be a least a 1/2" thick.

Yea I have a lowrance hdi 50/200 that I use over the through hull p79 and the difference is noticeable. I also have a very thick hull. Old hand layed DE Fiberglas.

It's a 23.5 ft campion but I'm unsure of the thickness of the fibreglass so not sure how much power will be lost with the P79. I like the idea of the B60 but unsure about the whole hole cutting deal!!

MikeP gave me a great way to get over the fear of drilling.... I over drill the size of hole I desire.... put contact cement around the edges of the exposed transom ..once that is dry I fill the hole with epoxy..once everything is set..usually the next day.. drill my small hole for the screws u desire seflex and mount... 100 percent seal :) Did this when I was mounting my out riggers on the tub...

Attachments

• 20150811_204647.jpg
    20150811_204647.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 20150812_110447.jpg
    20150812_110447.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 88
Run both the P66 and the P 79 on my boat..P66 is the better of 2
Hmm that P79 must have been abused at one time Should be the better ducer,
But the p66 is great as well,
Don't be scared of shoot thru, they work very well,
I have a m260 glued down in mine and no issues what so ever, before that I had the P79 and it worked well the bottom of these Grady hulls is probably 1-1/2" thick and both shoot thrust had no issues

hahha.. u may know..:) :) maybe air bubbles :)
probably just air....with that new power does your hull even touch the water anymore:p

Don't be scared of shoot thru, they work very well,
I have a m260 glued down in mine and no issues what so ever, before that I had the P79 and it worked well the bottom of these Grady hulls is probably 1-1/2" thick and both shoot thrust had no issues

X2
I have run many of the different airmar ducers.
In this boat I currently have a m270 and the stock lowrance 50/200 shooting thru hull and both preform excellent.
I have read many times that the in hulls loose some sensitivity but I have not been able to tell.
I had a tm260 on this boat with the same head( Furuno 585) and when I went to the m260 I couldn't tell the difference.
I run the lowrance 50/200 on the transom of my other boat with the HDS and once I epoxied it into the hull of this boat I seen no difference.
I guess if you mount them in an area that has a hull void or air pocket you will see poor performance but?
I took a ziplock bag half full of water and taped the ducer to the hull on top of the baggie to test the area before epoxying it in to make sure it was a good spot.

Back