Lowrance HDS 9 Live or ??

northfork

Thinking of picking up a HDS 9 Live with Airmar P66 transducer. Would like to add radar in year or so as well. Is for 18.5 footer and mostly for salmon and some bottom fishing. Never used a Lowrance or seen a HDS9 Live in action. This a good choice or am better off to go with a Garmin product? Newb to this....recommendations on a good setup and best bang for the buck appreciated. Thx

Thinking of picking up a HDS 9 Live with Airmar P66 transducer. Would like to add radar in year or so as well. Is for 18.5 footer and mostly for salmon and some bottom fishing. Never used a Lowrance or seen a HDS9 Live in action. This a good choice or am better off to go with a Garmin product? Newb to this....recommendations on a good setup and best bang for the buck appreciated. Thx
Best bang for your buck is cabelas USA Lowrance 12 inch carbon with transducer for $1500 you’ll have to ship to a US address but an insane good deal.

@EZZ70 did a boatload of research on the lowrance products and his results were the HDS live was currently the best option.
That deal on the 12 that @kaelc found is definitely a good one too. I don’t think you can go wrong with either of those or an elite FS.

Hey, not knocking Garmin, they have nice products but so many models made it's so confusing to me so I just gave up. I found that Lowrance takes the guesswork work out and more simpler to plan a network of features, function and devices, just my opinion! I am not too sure on the Garmin support for past models but Lowrance products has a 5 year shelf life for software upgrades and support.

I was seriously considering HDS gen3 as they are amazing but decided to go the Live route, I think Gen 3's have been out for 3 years now so another two years and support will be nullified. O and if you have the chance to have both units side by side the Live screen quality, well you have to see it for yourself haha in comparison my wife thought the Gen 3 was out of focus compared to the Live :)

That Carbon is a great deal $1800 and change CAD, I might just sell one of my Live's...

Carbon 1400 Nits 1280x800
8GB Storage

Live 1200 Nits 1280x800
8GB Storage

Last edited:
I just gave it a second of a thought and bought that Carbon 12" amazing deal!, PM me if you want to buy my Live 7" or 9" They are brand new, unused/unopened :) now where do I get a deal on the radar, will trade a head unit...hummmm ??

Last edited:
I’d take your 9, I passed on the 12 since it is too big for my helm! Amazing deal
ok, lets offer to @slabjacker first and see which direction he goes :) 12" is great for aging eyes and split screen option and I can see the screen back aft lol, I may even see if the retailer will accept it back as a return and credit on a Halo20, will keep you in the loop and return back with info

Last edited:
HDS 10 is a good fit for my 19 ft. 12 would have been too large without relocation of VHF. Not many options there either.

20210417_114742.jpg

Most of the "scan" fish finder technologies use a very high scan frequency (400 - 800 Khz or so. It appears HDS live is no exception. IMO I would not expect HDS live to be useful beyond 120 feet deep or so based on real-world comments from those using similar technologies.

Most of the "scan" fish finder technologies use a very high scan frequency (400 - 800 Khz or so. It appears HDS live is no exception. IMO I would not expect HDS live to be useful beyond 120 feet deep or so based on real-world comments from those using similar technologies.
Hey, please see attached, the depth is not so much dependent on the head unit but the transducer being used @ a selected kHz

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 2.41.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 2.41.19 PM.png
    694.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 2.42.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 2.42.50 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 2.50.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 2.50.11 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 104
ok, lets offer to @slabjacker first and see which direction he goes :) 12" is great for aging eyes and split screen option and I can see the screen back aft lol, I may even see if the retailer will accept it back as a return and credit on a Halo20, will keep you in the loop and return back with info
Thanks but going to pass on the offer.

I just gave it a second of a thought and bought that Carbon 12" amazing deal!, PM me if you want to buy my Live 7" or 9" They are brand new, unused/unopened :) now where do I get a deal on the radar, will trade a head unit...hummmm ??

Can they ship to Canada?

you dont have a proper boat until you have at least 3 chartplotters all networked on your 18 footer.

Can they ship to Canada?
Yes, I receive mine today :)

This is exactly what it cost me, all in CAD funds...

Cabela's $1860.03
Shipping Outlet & broker fees $98.31
UPS & duty/tax $219.35

Back