Trailer lights

frango

I have a newish ez loader with led lights.They are crap.I have replaced one already at $70.The other is showing signs of inside rust.The question I have is can I silicone the hell out of them without causing problems??IE heat.Maybe I should change them out for bulb type??

LED lights use about 1/20 the power of an equivalent incandescent so conversely on DC which your trailer is, there will be almost no heating. I would be inclined to silicone over every connection of the fixture.

The way I see it if dont silicon them your going to end up replacing them anyways.The LEDS shouldnt get hot at all.

Frango, when you get really fed up, go to Birks Intertruck or the like and buy the sealed tail lights and brackets for mounting on boat trailers,etc, all the commercial trucks use them, end of b.s. for a long time, 4 years for me now.

I am on my second set of LED lights,Silicon the snot out of them,if you think, i wonder if thats enough put some more on,WestMarine replaced the first set,This second set has been fine with the silicon.Kisinana is right about the leds no heat.DAN

Guys silicon is for bath tubs and new tits LOL LOL

sika flex is for boats use sika it wont shrink like the other stuff

Wolf

Siko them, when they go again replace with sealed bulb units.
The only time I had to replace mine was after someone backed into my trailer at Tsartlip Reserve launch... and didn't leave a calling card.
They are reliable, mine have been on the trailer for at least 3.5 yrs now.
PinchMe

I had my trailer rebuilt at roadrunner trailers in 2001. They put on sealed units (not led though) Haven't had a problem in the six years. Not sure what the new sealed units will cost when I have to replace them.

I haven't had probelms with the sealed Roadrunner lights but I have had problems with the connections from the lights to the main wiring harness and to the grounding wiring attached to the galvanized bolt behind the sealed lights. I changed out the bolts holding the sealed lights to stainless bolts. I also shrink wrapped the connections from the lights to the main wiring (after cleaning them up from all the corrosion). I had no problems with my wiring after that on that trailer.

I seem to recall that when Roadrunner/ EZ Loader first started using LED lights there were numerous problems with leakage and that the problem has since been corrected.
There were some "free" replacements made available under warranty (or implied warranty). You might want to give them a call. Could save you a few bucks.
But don't hold it against me if my aging and faulty memory is wrong again.

Back