Trailer insurance

At least there's something that's still cheap, $76.00 for a year
$1.000.000 liability, no fire, theft or collision.

Not really....in Alberta it’s a one time fee for the life of the trailer. In bc you pay it every year, year after year. Sorry to be a Debbie downer lol.

Not really....in Alberta it’s a one time fee for the life of the trailer. In bc you pay it every year, year after year. Sorry to be a Debbie downer lol.

The one time fee in Alberta is for trailer registration (license plate). It does not provide any insurance.

The annual trailer liability insurance is one of the most rediculous money grabs in BC. Most people dont know that the trailer insurance you put on your trailer, is only in force when your trailer is not attached to your truck. So basically, the only real scenario where your trailer liability can protect you is a scenario where for example it is parked on a hill, not attached to your truck, and rolls into someone, which is an almost never scenario. If it was legal i wouldnt even bother with it. I confirmed this with ICBC last year, so if i was you, i'd put the bare minimum of 200k and nothing more. If your trailer is hooked to your truck and you get into an accident, the trailer insurance has absolutely no value, its all on your truck insurance. So if you really want 1M liability for your trailer, i suggest you put an additonal 800k on your truck insurance and reduce your trailer to 200k, because you are otherwise misled and wasting your money.

The annual trailer liability insurance is one of the most rediculous money grabs in BC. Most people dont know that the trailer insurance you put on your trailer, is only in force when your trailer is not attached to your truck. So basically, the only real scenario where your trailer liability can protect you is a scenario where for example it is parked on a hill, not attached to your truck, and rolls into someone, which is an almost never scenario. If it was legal i wouldnt even bother with it. I confirmed this with ICBC last year, so if i was you, i'd put the bare minimum of 200k and nothing more. If your trailer is hooked to your truck and you get into an accident, the trailer insurance has absolutely no value, its all on your truck insurance. So if you really want 1M liability for your trailer, i suggest you put an additonal 800k on your truck insurance and reduce your trailer to 200k, because you are otherwise misled and wasting your money.
Unless in an accident your trailer becomes unattached from the truck and hits another vehicle. Then it's on the trailers insurance No?

Unless in an accident your trailer becomes unattached from the truck and hits another vehicle. Then it's on the trailers insurance No?

I asked that question too, if the propulsion energy was created by the truck, it falls under the truck's insurance. Which is exactly how it works in every province other than BC anyways because i think only BC makes you put liability on trailers. When i lived in Ontario i never put liability insurance, it was a one time fee forever on trailers.

I also think how stupid it is I have 4 trailers and 5hey each need separate insurance I can only tow one at a time but need four plates and insurances

Thanks for your intel. I guess this is why commercial trailers have NON Expiry decals. It doesn’t really matter if they have insurance or not.

Back