Trailer Bunks - sticking

totally tyee

I have a new (to me) 2004 21 foot fiberglass boat. The trailer that came with it is a 2004 Aluminum EZE Loader with carpeted bunks. The boat slides off the trailer and into the water with a little help no problem. The first time out I had a hell of a time winching the boat back onto the trailer and its seemed to want to stick to the carpet.

I went and purchased some of the slides for the bunks. I purchased a pack of 10 that go on my 2x6 bunks (about $80). They are about 10 inches long so I stagered them 5 on each side and about 10 inches between them (to fit more in if needed). I started at the stern end and made it about 3/4s of the way up. It seemed to help a little bit but still seemed a bit difficult winching it.

Yes I am sinking my trailer deep enough. Actually too deep for my liking. Any deeper and I will need to wear waders to crank the winch.

A friend of mine recommended the product "liquid rollers" to me, to spray on the bunks. I can't seem to find it anywhere in Canada and was told by West Marine that it appears to not be sold in Canada because of the lack of Frech labelling. I tried to order it from BassPro Shop but apparently they cant ship this product to Canada. Same story with Amazon.com.

I will give it another go this weekend but before I buy another set of those strips does anyone else have any suggestions? I shouldnt need an electric winch for a 21 ft.

TT out

Follow these steps and you should have no problem:

1) Back the trailer into the water to wet/dip the carpeted portion of the bunks to reduce friction.

2) Now pull the trailer forward so 2/3 of the bunks are submerged and 1/3 out of water.

3) Now literally drive the boat under power right up to the winch. (I usually trim the engine up as I get get closer to the winch) You shouldn't have to do much hand cranking at all with the bunks. Let the engine do the work.

4) A couple cranks of the winch, safety latch, trim up, away you go.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

i have the 'slick pads' on my ez loader. here is how i do it: back in but leave the top of the fenders OUT OF THE WATER, about 4" out of the water; line your boat up and DRIVE ON; i winch approximately 2"; easy as pie. i will never go back to a roller bunk trailer. most people back their trailers too far into the water. the boat needs to make contact, wiggles from side to side a bit as it lines itself up and then zip right out of the water. give it a try and stop sweating cranking.

mine say 'ezloader' on them so i would check with a dealer who handles their trailers. a word of caution, however, be careful on your launching as the boat is going to come right off as easily as it goes on :)

Use Liqued Rollers once a year or so, and you will have NO PROBLEMS. It's sold only in the States now. I was having the same issues (and also considered sliders or new carpet, don't waste your time and money) but not any more. I bought some in Blain. You can then power your boat onto your trailer with minimum winching. My boat is the same size as yours.

Cheers

Ive seen dish soap used lathered on... make sure its biodegradable...

My aluminum EZloader with bunks has a sticker on it recommending putting vaseline on the slides....not something I do but its what the factory sticker says...

I think Industrial plastics and paints sell the UHMW for making the sliders yourself, if you are in Victoria.
Do you have a 2 speed winch on your trailer? I winch my Striper 2300 on fairly easily using one, and I don't have the slides or spray anything on the bunks.

Back