Toquart Bay

salmon slayer

The new year is only days away and i am already dreaming of my summer vacation time. I was thinking of trying the barkley sound area for the first time(bought the boat last spring). In my search, I came across Toquart Bay rec site.Towing a 24ft seaswirl striper and are considering tenting.Any reccomendations on this site or others in the aera would be greatly appreciated as well as any fishing suggestions.

Been there a couple of times,really enjoyed it.There is a black sand there that absoutely gets into everything.Ramp is good, moorage is good.Bring your own drinking water,or go back down the road a couple of miles to the dammed creek for water.The one caretaker there can be, shall we say....loud. Aannielle? the other one is just a pleasure to deal with.Make sure about where you can park they charge extra,Well run site.Good idea to have charts and or a map gps.If you head towards Mayne bay,Lyall point make sure you follow the channel markers, there are some rocks etc.and some passages that are'nt safe.Also keep in mind that it is an active logging road,you will run into logging trucks on your way in,and off road logging trucks past the campground.DAN

Ive been there lots. I highly reccomend launching at port alberni and running there by boat, actually, poets nook may be better. The road in to toquart is almost always in really bad shape. Its a long gravel road thats full of pot holes.

well... so is the road to poetsnook. i'd launch your boat at toquart bay. atleast you will have pavement pretty much all the way there.

launch in port and run up.
far more enjoyable then driving up a low quality road
the water is way easier on the boat and it doesnt get filled up with dust.

No brainer.

Run from Port.

Toquart will be beautiful if the weather is good. The bunkhouse at Poett Nook more beautiful if the weather is - ya know...

Hey SS, camping in a tent at Toquart is okay, make sure you have lots of tarps because if the rain doesn't get you the morning fog will keep you damp, especially in Foggust! As was mentioned it is better if you have a camper\trailer etc but a tent will do if your focus is being on the water most of the day anyways. As far as travel goes I agree with both options, it just depends on what you want out of the trip. I have been to Toquart many times over the years and have travelled both by boat from Port and by the approx 16 km of gravel road from Kennedy Lake. I like both options depending on whether I want to have a vehicle at Toquart and lots of stuff at camp or whether I want to enjoy the scenic ride on the water and make do with what I can fit in the boat. Either way I'm sure you will enjoy the beautiful scenery and wildlife of the Sound!

there is also bunkhouse in Bamfield that are reasonable, and you are close to lots of good fishing spots and off shore I would launch in Port Alberni

About three decades ago, my family, friends, and I fished at Toquart Bay with 12' boat. very safe protected area- I remember seeing many small boats lying on the beaches for fishermen to venture out plus awesome cohofishing nearby.

some people are right, I went to Toquart Bay two years ago..lots of potholes on logging road...if it rains, lots of mud. Yikes!

Hey SS.

I have been going there for the past 6 years and I love it. I always trailer my boat into the campground no problem. As long as you know what to expect. The road is a little rough, but no big deal if you take it slow. It's definately an advantage to have your vehicle there. There is a small store just down the road for any little neccessities that you may have forgotten. And if you'd like to freeze your catch, they have a deepfreeze there also. Definately a nice place to stay and beautiful scenery amidst the islands.

Thank you all for the feedback. Whats the fishing like in July???

The road is sometimes not bad and sometimes very bad but its only 16k.We haul our boat in perhaps 6 to 8 times a summer.Just take it slow and count bear crap or bears. If you are going in July? phone for reservations for camping and for sure for moorage.We like to drop the hook in the broken group or if we get in late rent some dock space for the night
.We never camp.The camp ground is the busiest rec site in BC.It's very packed.There is barley any room to walk between campsites.There are a lot of long term users,so it has a everybody knows everybody feel to it.If you are looking for private camping?this is not the place.Like someone said the ramp is near perfect(our federal tax dollar at work)95% of the time.Very low tides can be an issue.Good luck .Perhaps we will see you on the water??

Hey SS, fishing is good in July but is usually busier in August and so is the campsite and moorage at Toquart!

In july, I like to camp out on Gilbert Island. This spot is in my opinion the most beautiful spot to camp in the barclay sound, and most importantly just around the corner from austin Island(my personal favorite fishing spot in the sound). You have to be creative with an anchor/pulley setup to get to and from shore, but is definately worth the hassle. Oh, yea, the parks officials come by daily to collect $10/ night fee... also worth it. There are even outhouses there..You gotta check it out.

Back