Tool Kit Thread and questions

Bill 310

Crew Member
I spend a fair bit of time on a motorcycle forum and one of the forums I follow is a toolkit forum .

I was starting to put together a very basic tool kit for our new boat and thought I would reach out to the collective to see what you are carrying on your boats. We will have outboard power so there will be some differences between outboard power, inboard and I/O.

My mechanical skill is very basic (oil changes, changing propellers, etc.

I know enough to make certain I have a wrench or socket that fits the righty tighty lefty loosey parts of the boat.

Thoughts, suggestions, tips how to avoid rusty tool syndrome ?

For years I carried an extensive tool kit, but I found I really never needed nearly as much as I thought I would. With modern 4 stroke engines, although just as much could go wrong, it never seems to. I have pared it down to a fuel filter and the wrench to remove and install it, a couple of wrenches to install the battery terminals and work on the downriggers, a few fuses and a 12v test light. and one of those compact screw driver kits. I store the filter wrench and filter in a zip log bag and the tools in a plastic locking food storage box. I do however have a fairly extensive first aid and jump kit combined.

I spend a fair bit of time on a motorcycle forum and one of the forums I follow is a toolkit forum .

I was starting to put together a very basic tool kit for our new boat and thought I would reach out to the collective to see what you are carrying on your boats. We will have outboard power so there will be some differences between outboard power, inboard and I/O.

My mechanical skill is very basic (oil changes, changing propellers, etc.

I know enough to make certain I have a wrench or socket that fits the righty tighty lefty loosey parts of the boat.

Thoughts, suggestions, tips how to avoid rusty tool syndrome ?
Good to have a few tools but stay up on maintenance and you rarely need them. For rust prevention leave a coat of fluid film on them before putting away.

Scotty related stuff and an electrical kit I think are more important than a full engine overhaul set. I have lots of systems that require hoses and clamps fuses so I keep an assortment of emergency parts

A ton of varied sized stainless clamps. A multi tool set of sockets, combo screw driver, 10,000 zap straps, spare filters, brake clean, fluids, serpentine belt, marine grease, electrical wire, connectors and volt meter. Sand paper, dielectric grease and electrical cleaner. I also save a collection of stainless hardware including nuts, bolts and washers (nylon and stainless).

Sounds like a lot of junk but no one is coming to help me if things go sideways. Make sure you have the proper tools to remove your prop sets, spare props and cotter pins as need be.

Oh and last but most important a fully charged lithium ion battery booster and a set of long jumper cables if that fails to deliver the goods.

A ton of varied sized stainless clamps. A multi tool set of sockets, combo screw driver, 10,000 zap straps, spare filters, brake clean, fluids, serpentine belt, marine grease, electrical wire, connectors and volt meter. Sand paper, dielectric grease and electrical cleaner. I also save a collection of stainless hardware including nuts, bolts and washers (nylon and stainless).

Sounds like a lot of junk but no one is coming to help me if things go sideways. Make sure you have the proper tools to remove your prop sets, spare props and cotter pins as need be.

Oh and last but most important a fully charged lithium ion battery booster and a set of long jumper cables if that fails to deliver the goods.
I agree a small booster pack is a must. I have saved a few people floating around dead in the water. It’s funny the looks I have gotten jumping people with this little box, they work like a charm. Plus they double as an emergency phone charger.

I prefer a little a little volt meter over a test light but that just personal preference.

Some additions to above are extra wire, side cutters and wire strippers. It seems common to be electrical issues that can be fixed on the water.

Roll of gorilla tape and some good sized zap straps can MacGyver lots of broken stuff together to save a trip.

I have way to much stuff on the boat but Knock on Wood I have only ever fixed other peoples boats on the water.

Those hand held lithium ion boosters will fire up evething up to a gas big block no problem, and hold a charge for ages. I actually have 2, and in summer both are on the boat.

I also keep a set of wide jaw vice grips, side cutters and lots of mechanics gloves for the office hands.

Ok things are getting out of hand now that I think of it, I also keep most of the old "leave ya stranded" items on board that I've replaced as spares including the fuel cell (high and low pressure fuel pumps) distributor and cap, plug wires, etc.

And never, ever leave home without everyone's favorite JB Weld.

Spare quart of engine oil, hydraulic fluid for steering, cotter pins, prop wrench, adjustable wrench, screwdriver with various bits, paper towel, rubber gloves, spare fuses, 10,001 zap straps, fuel filter, spare downrigger belts. Good tips on the jb weld & electrical stuff.

This?

Spare quart of engine oil, hydraulic fluid for steering, cotter pins, prop wrench, adjustable wrench, screwdriver with various bits, paper towel, rubber gloves, spare fuses, 10,001 zap straps, fuel filter, spare downrigger belts. Good tips on the jb weld & electrical stuff.

Pretty much my exact toolkit, with a hydraulic steering bleed kit and spare Verado prop hub and pencil coil.

For an adjustable wrench, I keep a 7" Knipex plier wrench on board. Replaces a set of combination wrenches and a crescent wrench. Best set of pliers I've ever used for pinch barbs as well. Also have a small Leatherman (with a corkscrew) and a Picquic Mariner for a screwdriver set.

Two spare 2106 counters and also a 2106 drive gear (the small one held in place by a cotter pin) - had one that almost completely melted and stripped when trying to get off bottom in the middle of a two week trip. Fortunately it held on for the rest of the trip.

Pretty much my exact toolkit, with a hydraulic steering bleed kit and spare Verado prop hub and pencil coil.

For an adjustable wrench, I keep a 7" Knipex plier wrench on board. Replaces a set of combination wrenches and a crescent wrench. Best set of pliers I've ever used for pinch barbs as well. Also have a small Leatherman (with a corkscrew) and a Picquic Mariner for a screwdriver set.

Two spare 2106 counters and also a 2106 drive gear (the small one held in place by a cotter pin) - had one that almost completely melted and stripped when trying to get off bottom in the middle of a two week trip. Fortunately it held on for the rest of the trip.
Love knipex….. been using them for years best tool in my box by far

This?

Below is what I have and if your in Victoria I can help you out on better deal. I have had and sold a few over the last couple years and this is my favourite.

I just took a course with the Power Squadron on boat and engine maintenence. I'll attach their lists here. I have some of these items, good to hear what members on this forum actually use. That jump starter will be added to my list, but much more of this will start to compete for space with the fishing gear...

Attachments

• IMG_20211129_202338.jpg
    IMG_20211129_202338.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20211129_202400.jpg
    IMG_20211129_202400.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20211129_202447.jpg
    IMG_20211129_202447.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 75
I just took a course with the Power Squadron on boat and engine maintenence. I'll attach their lists here. I have some of these items, good to hear what members on this forum actually use. That jump starter will be added to my list, but much more of this will start to compete for space with the fishing gear...
This list has me wondering:
- When would a boater, broken down on the water, need not one but two pipe wrenches? For what, exactly?
- Why, in this age of electronic ignitions, will I be needing a whole box full of "pointless" (ha ha) ignition components?
- ... and pry bars?

We need good maintenance schedules that are followed, not a hundred pounds of useless tools and spare parts on board because I have ignored routine and pre-emptive maintenance. Spare parts age out and corrode on board. A major breakdown is not going to be dealt with on the water, anyway. Sure, minor problems can arise, too. So screw drivers and an adjustable wrench are sensible tools to have on board. There are indeed times when I would like to "fix" my electronics with a ball pen hammer, but seriously?

when trailering boat i take with me a separate toolkit which consists of hydraulic jack, a couple wooden blocks, spare hub/spindle, wrench for lugs, brake fluid, zip strips, grease gun, and pump sprayer with salt-a-way to wash brakes & other down after dipping.

for the boat i also have toolkit with many of the items listed, but.... i have had issues with my socket sets and rusting in the environment even though they are kept dry, and would appreciate any suggestions to keep stuff rust free. Also, is there a preferred jump starter that has longest life between charges and delivers the high cold cranking amps necessary to get the job done. I ask since i bought one 5 years ago which would not start my motor at that time (F250), but was more than adequate to charge my phone. thank you. DAJ

This list has me wondering:
- When would a boater, broken down on the water, need not one but two pipe wrenches? For what, exactly?
- Why, in this age of electronic ignitions, will I be needing a whole box full of "pointless" (ha ha) ignition components?
- ... and pry bars?

We need good maintenance schedules that are followed, not a hundred pounds of useless tools and spare parts on board because I have ignored routine and pre-emptive maintenance. Spare parts age out and corrode on board. A major breakdown is not going to be dealt with on the water, anyway. Sure, minor problems can arise, too. So screw drivers and an adjustable wrench are sensible tools to have on board. There are indeed times when I would like to "fix" my electronics with a ball pen hammer, but seriously?
So you don’t want to replace your Scotty decals with Snap On Tools decals?

So you don’t want to replace your Scotty decals with Snap On Tools decals?

;) exactly! I have a nicely stocked, rolling tool chest but I leave it in the shop. The tools don't seem to rust there. This time of year is ideal for catching up with "deferred" maintenance items. Take your time. Methodically check all and fix any necessary connections, belts, hoses, clamps, plugs, wires, etc., now. Then I will not need the hundred pound tool box on the boat. And if I drop a tool or a part in the shop, I can pick it up.

Another point: batteries. If you are still running 5 year old batteries, you are as ill-prepared as the guy heading offshore with a quarter tank of fuel. Don't be that guy.

Last edited:
Back