Tongue Extension? Do it? Don't Do it?

Baxter

MOST of the time, I can easily launch and retrieve my boat without the truck tires getting wet. But When launching primarily at Kitty and Point Holmes there are some tides where avoiding it simply not possible. (For instance at Kitty a 1.7-2.0 tide requires me getting tires wet to pull boat out of the water. Can usually get it off the trailer though.

Now yes, I could plan tides differently, or launch elsewhere etc. BUT, adding 36" to my tongue would also solve the problem the vast majority of the time.

So my question: Anyone else use an extension for this purpose? Do you love/hate it? I am on the fence....

(I also do realize that this will impact things like my tongue weight limits etc, but the boat is light enough that this is simply a moot point in this case.)

MOST of the time, I can easily launch and retrieve my boat without the truck tires getting wet. But When launching primarily at Kitty and Point Holmes there are some tides where avoiding it simply not possible. (For instance at Kitty a 1.7-2.0 tide requires me getting tires wet to pull boat out of the water. Can usually get it off the trailer though.

Now yes, I could plan tides differently, or launch elsewhere etc. BUT, adding 36" to my tongue would also solve the problem the vast majority of the time.

So my question: Anyone else use an extension for this purpose? Do you love/hate it? I am on the fence....

(I also do realize that this will impact things like my tongue
I think the pure physics of extending something that already has a load on it, another 3’ would be dicey. Wonder if the axle would have to be shifted. A big trailer would help if money weren’t an issue. As would rollers.

I have a 2' (maybe 3', can't remember) hitch extension for when I'm towing my boat with the camper in the truck. It has chains and turnbuckles tied back to the hitch to stabilize it left and right so its not weeble wobbling around. It works fine for me and no issues. The extensions do reduce your towing capacity so you have to watch out for that. My boat is light so I am fine with my extension. If your truck has a 2.5" hitch, you'll be good for up to 8,000 lbs.

I think you can get a telescoping tongue, leave it regular length for towing, pull it out when at the ramp.

I think you can get a telescoping tongue, leave it regular length for towing, pull it out when at the ramp.

I had exactly that. I put a heavy weight square tubing inside the original tongue. Which gave me a three foot extension when needed. (Towing with camper or needing extra length for launching). When not needed it was brought back in to almost the same length as stock tongue. (Different holes in the original tongue for this adjustment) I did it with bolts and nylock nuts but could maybe be done with removable pins for easier removal and moving at the launch ramp. That way (in your case) you don’t have to deal with an extension on your truck hitch all the way to the launch.

Oly

I have a 2' (maybe 3', can't remember) hitch extension for when I'm towing my boat with the camper in the truck. It has chains and turnbuckles tied back to the hitch to stabilize it left and right so its not weeble wobbling around. It works fine for me and no issues. The extensions do reduce your towing capacity so you have to watch out for that. My boat is light so I am fine with my extension. If your truck has a 2.5" hitch, you'll be good for up to 8,000 lbs.
My truck is good to 9990 lbs. My boat & trailer weighs - maybe 3000lbs total on the high end.

My truck is good to 9990 lbs. My boat & trailer weighs - maybe 3000lbs total on the high end.
I don't think you'll find a 3' extension for a class 4 hitch. The long hitch extensions are usually class 5, so it would start as 2.5" square tubing at your truck, then you put a class 4 / 2" square hitch in the end like you have already. I think you will be limited to a 18" extension, which will reduce your towing capacity to 3500 lbs. https://www.amazon.ca/CURT-Manufact...ywords=Hitch+Extension&qid=1624460992&sr=8-18

"Tongue Extension? Do it? Don't do it?" When I first read that thread title it sounded like some sort of sex aid, but it seems it is more analogous to a truck condom to prevent it catching a nasty case of rust.

Ive got a 3 foot home made one i use to launch my jet ski on the beach. I dont leave the island with it.

if you extend your trailer tongue 3 feet, thats about 20 bucks one way on the big ferries.

I'd say make a home-made one at 3' long, but don't tow on the road with it. Just put it on at the boat ramp if you feel it's too low of a tide. It'll take a couple minutes to put on and save your truck brakes.
This just get some 1/4 thick square tube steel drill 2 holes and get 2 hitch pins and just make sure you install the extension only when at the launch wont take long.

I had exactly that. I put a heavy weight square tubing inside the original tongue. Which gave me a three foot extension when needed. (Towing with camper or needing extra length for launching). When not needed it was brought back in to almost the same length as stock tongue. (Different holes in the original tongue for this adjustment) I did it with bolts and nylock nuts but could maybe be done with removable pins for easier removal and moving at the launch ramp. That way (in your case) you don’t have to deal with an extension on your truck hitch all the way to the launch.

Oly
Great idea, well done.

I switch at the ramp from the short tongue to a 3 foot extension I carry. Takes all of a couple of minutes to do.
I do it for the exact reasons you speak of. It keeps my wheels completely out of the water.
Worth it in my eyes.

I switch at the ramp from the short tongue to a 3 foot extension I carry. Takes all of a couple of minutes to do.
I do it for the exact reasons you speak of. It keeps my wheels completely out of the water.
Worth it in my eyes.
I think this is the right answer for me. I'll keep my eyes out for a dirt-cheap used extension and throw it in the back of the truck. Then it is there if and only if I really need it. You are right, swapping it in and out would only take a minute or two, and then you don't really have to worry about weight limits or any of that.

This one popped up on the feed today

Attachments

• BB69B1BF-AB77-4851-A79F-A3337F1D7862.jpeg
    BB69B1BF-AB77-4851-A79F-A3337F1D7862.jpeg
    524.9 KB · Views: 56
I went for a 2 foot extension with a weight distribution hitch it is good for 8k pounds which I need for launching at esquimalt anglers since it isn’t a steep ramp and I can tow with my camper on (no slide, so just legal for my F350). Found switching at the ramp was a pain as there is slope there so I just drive with the WD hitch on, any time I hit that ramp. Other spots I use my regular hitch. CURT Manufacturing 45048 2-1/2" to 2" Receiver Adapter https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00537ESCQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_25KZ04DYNYDVSBH1WE4P

Back