Tohatsu 9.8 four stroke comments/opinions

Sitkaspruce

I am looking at a 2012 Tohatsu 9.8 four stroke for an engine for my 12' tin boat.

I have down the search here and the google thing, but was wondering if there was anybody here who was running these engines (not necessarily a 9.8) for kickers or as main power for their smaller boat.

The biggest thing I can find is service, closest for me in the Peace is Edmonton, but other than that, any comments or opinions.

Cheers

SS

I have a 2008 as a kicker and have had no issues with it. They are a Nissan. Tohatsu also supplies the motors for Mercury 30 HP and less.

I've had a Nissan 9.8 LS electric start for three yrs on my 19" Trophy. Great kicker and has been very reliable. I do all my own routine service however any capable mechanic can help you service. All routine maintenance is straight forward, I even took the carb apart for cleaning recently in about 30 minutes. Great motors and as Vic said all same as Tohatsu and Merc.

Checked with a friend of mine he's a dealer in Medicine Hat. Windsor Motorsports in Grande Prairie is an autherized dealer and repair.

Thanks guys!!!

I have decided to purchase it.

Vic good to know about GP having a dealer, not that I anticipate any problems.

Cheers

SS

Got mine last season 9.8 long leg, paid about 800 less than for Yammy and I love it, super quiet, super cheap and 5 year warranty. Got mine from Sherewoods marine.

I bought a 2013 9.8 electric start for a kicker and has been a great little motor. Only thing is when you get To the end of the season use chevron 94. The passage ways in the carb are small and the ethenol plugged the carb. I was using 87 with the additive but now just use 94. If it does plug up on you pull the Jets and blow them out and you should be fine.

Cheers, Rob

For the amount of gas a kicker goes through in a season why wouldn't you just use marked premium all the time?

Yes do your best to stay away from ethanol all year. It will kill your kicker and main motor faster than anything out there. There are a few places that have ethanol free gas in their premium grades. I know Costco has no ethanol in their premium and is usually a lot cheaper than every where around them. Good insurance in my mind.

Back