beware of Bellingham Boatland

lastkick

Just a "heads up", guys, if you are ever thinking of buying a boat. First of all, let me say that I made a mistake by trusting the integrity of Scott and Bellingham Boatland. i did not do the due diligence that I should have done. I accepted the video sea trial as a good enough substitute for a personal sea trial and accepted that the owner, Scott, was an honest individual. This was a major mistake. My wife and I purchased the boat thinking all was well.
1. We left towing a 4000 lb. boat which, unknown to us, was without functioning brakes. I had to make a semi emergency stop as I was travelling through Vancouver and ended up part way through the intersection. Thank heavens I was towing the boat with a heavy duty pick up. When I phoned Scott and informed him about the brakes, his response was "I can't check everything."
2. I was told the engine had 240 original hours on it and when I asked about the compression, Scott told me everything was fine. When I got home, I took the boat in to have the engine checked for peace of mind. I was told by my local Yamaha dealer that the compression was low in 2 cylinders and that there was a problem with the injectors. They said the engine was not worth spending any more money on it. (200 Hp Yamaha 2 stroke)
I started to investigate and was able to get in touch with the original owner and his boat dealer in Oregon. He said that the engine was a rebuild and that Scott had been informed about the rebuild job and had been given the compression numbers. This information was never passed on to me even though Bellingham Boatland boasts about 100% disclosure.
3. I asked Scott if the GPS had a navigational chip in it. he said--"Yes, for the Pacific NW all the way to Alaska." At home, I opened the GPS to find no chip.
There were other non functioning problems which I didn't spot until I got home. The bottom line is that I feel I was lied to outright and that other information that would be negative to a possible sale was not disclosed.
I have phoned and emailed Bellingham Boatland numerous times trying to give them a chance to make thing right to no avail.
At first, Scott offered to let me bring the boat back for a full refund which I was more than willing to do. Then the next call revealed that this was not the case. He would take the boat back and resell it under my name. Then he stated that he would retest the engine and if it wasn't working properly, it was the fault of my mechanic up here. We firmly believe that there is a problem with this engine. I read the problems that David Priddy from Australia had with this broker and what he went through. I also phoned and spoke to another unhappy customer, Ian VanderKley. (just Google "Bellingham Boatland customer complaint") Based on these experiences and on the fact that I cannot sell a boat with any problems to another boater, I felt I could not return the boat. Also, I would be returning the boat to a broker I do not trust and he would then be in possession of my money and my boat.
I tried to end this problem by suggesting a very minimal compensation from Scott to cover the costs of brake repairs and the missing GPS chip. It looks as though I may be stuck with a suspect engine and without even getting an apology from Scott and Bellingham Boatland. Scott has totally avoided discussing the brake issue, the GPS issue, and the lack of disclosure re the engine.
So....my fellow boaters, if you choose to look at Bellingham Boatland's fancy, slick website---fill your boots. If you see something that interests you----beware!!!

I'm not sure whether I should say what a shame or what an asshole there lastkick. You have pretty well done everything wrong as far as I can see. When he offered to take it back with a full refund, I would have said that's fine with me and hung up. Hope it works out for you. Lesson learned I'm sure.;) eman

Not easy to admit your mistakes on a public forum, i commend your honesty in doing so that others are aware.

I'm not sure whether I should say what a shame or what an asshole there lastkick. You have pretty well done everything wrong as far as I can see. When he offered to take it back with a full refund, I would have said that's fine with me and hung up. Hope it works out for you. Lesson learned I'm sure.;) eman

Have you read what he said?

They offered to take it back and sell it only under the buyer's name? Not cool, there should be no stipulations for a full refund.

Make a you tube video on everything. And choose your title wisely. I almost picked up a boat from ther, but I seen one video that changed my mind.!!!

Yes I did read the thread BGM. He first offered to take the boat back for a full refund, then called back and reneged on that offer. Save your heavy handed moderating for your other lame site.;) eman

That type of story sucks, I’m sorry to hear about it, This type of seller will keep selling and selling because nothing can stop them. Just look at their past history.

Everyone should be aware that purchasing in the USA is going to be less of a deal than previously. I’ve have had numerous friend that have purchased boats from the US and had engine problems, cover ups and even one boat was hot. None of them got any compensation from the sellers.

There are still good deals in the US but fewer and fewer as the exchange rate goes from 2% last year to 12% + this year and it is narrowing the gap.

Also with the economy improving in the US there are a lot less deals to be found specially in the housing market and big boy toys (hot cars and boats). Most of the banks are not having foreclose sales any more but have opted to hole the properties and resale on the open market. Housing prices are up 20% in the last 2 years in AZ and car sale prices at Barrett Jackson this year were also up which reflect the economy improvement.

Another example is, I’ve been checking out fishing reels at Cabalas and Bass Pro and I can purchase the reels I want cheaper at Trotac in Victoria and have a warranty to fall back on it something goes wrong.

With the economy getting better in the US and the exchange rate going up really sucks if your exchanging large amounts of $$$ to purchase a big boy toy and people are working again and keeping their toys or wanting more $$$ and getting it.

Everyone should do an investment analysis (travel cost, exchange cost, inspection cost……) on your purchase. In most cases get a independent third party who is not related in any way to the seller to inspect and value your purchase and do not fall in love with it until you know exactly what you’re getting and its value. Write a contract and cover everything under the sun and get signatures and drivers license ID. Even a hand written document is better than nothing.

Do your due diligence and cover your butt because there are lots of hot items for sale, beat to **** items (engines) or items which appear to look good on the outside but not the great deal as it appears. We call the looking great deals “Lipstick on a Pig” and there are lots of them out there.

As others have said not the first complaint we have seen here regarding this outfit. The other was the same - boat advertised with low hours etc. buyer purchased and after getting home researched the boat, found the old owner, learned it was formerly a charter boat with thousands of hours etc.

Tough luck and hard lesson to learn. We all take gambles with a used purchase but it seems fairly easy to research these boats I hope the next guy does his research before purchase.

If you have documentation (emails etc.) from this dealer stating the boat is more than it is consider a lawsuits. Can't keep letting this guy get away with fraud.

could be worth your expense to have an attorney write a letter describing what you found and what your would accept to resolve this issue to your satisfaction. this dealer sounds like a real schlock, sorry for the pain he has caused you. when the time comes to sell REELFAST, the buyer will get a folder full of the detail generated by my visiting my authorized Yamaha dealer annually. from my perspective, a good reason to NOT try doing back yard maintenance on technically sophisticated engines.

Also, make sure that you complete a Google review on your experience. This has a huge impact on business owners as whenever someone Google's them, it prominently displays their Google review ranking. I am a business owner myself and pay huge attention to Google reviews (as do my customers). You may need a Gmail address to actually post a review but even if you don't have one, you can quickly get a free Gmail address even if you only use it for this purpose.

I'm not sure you need to avoid them at all costs if you see a boat you like. Just do your due diligence and check the boat and engine out properly and have a quality mechanical / marine survey done so you have some confidence in what you are buying.

True....
Just crappy a guy cant trust a word of business theses days.

I'm not sure you need to avoid them at all costs if you see a boat you like. Just do your due diligence and check the boat and engine out properly and have a quality mechanical / marine survey done so you have some confidence in what you are buying.

Back