Tofino/Ucluelet Salmon Cast/Spin/Fly Inshore Options, advice, guide recommendation

bmckenney

I'm going to Ucluelet for about my 10th time in mid July. I've taken my family out on guided offshore trips in the past out of both locations and did very well limit wise and we really enjoyed the results as far as taking our fish to St Jeans for processing. But I don't really enjoy offshore trolling. I like to site cast and feel the take and fight my fish in close. My favourite type of (coho) salmon fishing is on a BC coastal river in a jet boat in the fall and using jigs on a spin rod. But Tofino/Ucluelet and area doesn't offer that type of fishing in July. I'm hoping to replicate part of my preferences for fishing with a local guide for a day that is experienced with inshore fishing.

I believe that it's possible to site cast for salmon inshore, but I could be wrong about that. I'm wondering what peoples are thoughts are on that. I had one guide I contacted say he will put people on light spin tackle and troll (bucktail I think), but that's not exactly what I had in mind.

And is it true that Tofino would be better suited for inshore fishing? And should I make plans with the guide to do a full day starting inshore and have the option to go offshore if its too slow? Is there enough time to do that in a day?

And I'd love to fish a few days during my week of vacation but I only have budget for one day with a guide. I searched this forum and did not find much about shore fishing other than a recommendation for Tonquin Beach off the rocks. Not sure about Ucluelet (staying at Waters Edge at my friends condo). Ideally I'd love to rent a suitable boat myself and try my luck nearshore with a spin rod. But I think boat rentals not available anywhere. I believe kayaks might work for the brave, but I am not comfortable in a kayak because of hip issues. Any suggestions for a cash strapped fisherman that doesn't involve a guide every day?

Thanks,
Bryan

If a kayak doesn't work how about renting a float tube and taking it with you?

There's a video of some guy who did that out of Ukee and a Humpback comes up right in front of him :cool:

You could do well on smaller models of Rockfish around Kelp and if Coho are around they're easy to catch with anything flashy-Pinks too.

I'd like to talk with someone from Ukee. A local insider. If there is anyone who's not too shy and wouldn't mind talking with me on the phone to help figure out a trip I want to do with a guide, please PM me via this board.
Bryan

Back