To each their own. Scheer comes to Parksville

Ahhh...if it was couple hours earlier could hit that then head up island....long 3 1/2 hour drive at 8pm though...hmmmm

Went. He’s actually a super funny guy. After seeing him speak for 30 min or so I actually like Scheer much more than before. Something you don’t see on news highlights is how outgoing and funny he is. Byron Horner is a big advocate of the sports fishing community and anyone in that area should vote for him. Has numerous videos on Facebook with sportsfishermen as well in April.

Went. He’s actually a super funny guy. After seeing him speak for 30 min or so I actually like Scheer much more than before. Something you don’t see on news highlights is how outgoing and funny he is. Byron Horner is a big advocate of the sports fishing community and anyone in that area should vote for him. Has numerous videos on Facebook with sportsfishermen as well in April.
We were able to meet him this morning in Comox. I felt he spoke well. Some reps from the commercial and sports side got an audience with him after his speech. He has our vote.

We were able to meet him this morning in Comox. I felt he spoke well. Some reps from the commercial and sports side got an audience with him after his speech. He has our vote.

Right on. Yeah Comox was a smaller crowd so easier to have a chat I assume Parksville was packed house standing room only. Might of been the youngest there by 40 years though ha ha ha.

Right. So Scheer is a comedian, and Horner, while very sincere (I talked to him about our issues at the Comox Valley Fall Fair, but who at best would be a backbencher in Parliament if the Conservatives were to form Government, is an advocate for the sports fishing community. Did anyone get any commitments out of them as to what they might actually do to enhance sports fishing off our Coast?
I'm not looking for an argument here because I'm a very, very undecided voter this time around. I just want to hear a little more meat than "this guy has a really good sense of humour" before I vote. I want to hear something meaningful about fisheries from the guy in charge rather than the minion from the hinterlands.

If you somehow get 30min to talk one on one with leaders of the party to go in depth on these things...let me know. Unrealistic expectations bigbruce. I don't think Byron would be back bench. Regardless, who would have more clout, Gord Johns / Rachel Blaney, or someone from their own party...see how the former did for us this year eh....a vote for the NDP is a vote for 4 more years of Trudeau, like it or not that is just fact.

I predict the NDP is going to get its lowest number of seats it has had for a very long time.
This election is between the two big boys the lesser parties aren't going to get many seats this time.

Right. So Scheer is a comedian, and Horner, while very sincere (I talked to him about our issues at the Comox Valley Fall Fair, but who at best would be a backbencher in Parliament if the Conservatives were to form Government, is an advocate for the sports fishing community. Did anyone get any commitments out of them as to what they might actually do to enhance sports fishing off our Coast?
I'm not looking for an argument here because I'm a very, very undecided voter this time around. I just want to hear a little more meat than "this guy has a really good sense of humour" before I vote. I want to hear something meaningful about fisheries from the guy in charge rather than the minion from the hinterlands.

Agreed. Just changing resource allocation and letting sporties fish does not help. The fishery needs more investment, better management etc, etc. However, many seem to priortize access to the resource, to me that is secondary after ensuring runs are stable etc.

I have no problem believing that Andrew Sheer is likely a better person verses Justin Trudeau - as an individual. Justin is neither right nor honourable, IMHO.

However, both are a product of their experiences and prejudices where both have been indoctrinated with party dogma & contacts - and both are members of parties - one coloured red, the other blue. Both are institutionalized to think along party lines verses seeing themselves as but 1 of 338 elected representatives.

So, I have really no belief that one person whom becomes leader will function much better than the other - because I see it that party discipline and rewards trumps elected representation & democracy - no matter the colour of their ties or banners. Until the parties death-grip on democracy is released - nothing substantial will change, IMHO.

As Einstein once said - doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

And as part of the Conservative party - Sheer has many skeleton's (esp. Harper's) in the closet too:
http://psacunion.ca/conservative-party-isnt-your-side

Gee,, they laid off the excess do nothing government union employees and fought the unions and weekend their grip on our nations companies. Is there supposed to be a negative in there some place.

Just so everyone is aware....IF the topic of conversation sticks to election items related to fisheries, and the platforms each have regarding this topic, then the discussion will continue. Any post that is general in nature about how useless one party is over the other, gets into generalizations about ideology, or generally diverts from fishing related conversations, will be removed. We are not turning this into General Election Central here. If you want to debate about how stupid the various parties are take it somewhere else.
Yes I made this big and bold on purpose!

IMO, concerned fishers...oops, "fisherpersons" should be asking each candidate straight up questions about what their party would do to first and foremost to invest into creating salmon abundance. When we fail to invest in habitat improvement, natural spawning and rearing channels, stream fertilization, and hatchery enhancement, then we will fail to create true abundance that will lead to plenty of fish for all stakeholders and more importantly generate billions in economic and social benefits for Canada. This should be an investment in Western Canadian Jobs and Economic prosperity....why are 9,000 SNC Lavalin jobs, more important than the 10's of thousands of Western Canada jobs that a return to abundant salmon runs would bring to our country? Invest!

Each of us can make this an election issue by asking candidates about what they would do, and by attending the all-candidates meetings asking those questions - we can make this an election issue.

Back