Time to life a motor up a notch?

DuroBoat

Just curious here.. how long does it take to move a Yamaha f300 up one bolt hole on a pod? My dealer said 3 hrs which seems a long time for a rigged shop but I’ve never done it before.. at cruise my cavitation plate is still 1-2” below the water.

Maybe it’s three guys for one hour. One guy lifting while two guide it. 1 hour per guy sounds very reasonable.

I put my motor on by myself but that’s not what a shop is gonna do.

Sorry maybe you’re not talking about 3 hours of labour and maybe you’re talking 3 hours wait time for you. I imagine that would be them playing it safe if they have to adjust things and move a bunch of stuff around the shop to make room for you

hook a chain from the lifting eye on the top of the motor to a hoist. Pull the top two bracket bolts. Loosen the bottom two bolts. Hoist 3/4”. Reinstall bolts and tighten. I’ve done it myself in less than an hour. Spent most of that time looking for a bolt for the chain to lifting eye connection.

Thanks guys +/- $500 seemed a bit much to move an engine up one hole… I’ll phone around
I have been thinking about doing the same thing myself. My problem is my motor does not have a lifting eye and the part is around $200 bucks to attach to the flywheel (2022 Mercury 90). It seems like a simple thing to do myself in my carport I just don’t want to spend $200 bucks for a tool I will probably only use once.

You can use straps too configure it in a way thats what we used. maybe a 1 hour job just make sure you sika the bottom holes.

It took me less than an hour by myself to install my motor and I’ve never done it before. But I imagine that with a shop, they will quote you the rate that covers their butts in case something goes wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_4738.jpeg
    IMG_4738.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 25
I have been thinking about doing the same thing myself. My problem is my motor does not have a lifting eye and the part is around $200 bucks to attach to the flywheel (2022 Mercury 90). It seems like a simple thing to do myself in my carport I just don’t want to spend $200 bucks for a tool I will probably only use once.
Lots of guys on here will have the attachment and likely let you borrow it no problem

On the yamahas you can easily get away with just using a chain. Bolt down the end links to the flywheel using 2 of the 3 threaded holes ontop. Especially if your just raising it. The bottom bolts can just be loosened, unless the slot is filled with sika. Either way would take me 20 minutes or so and I would charge an hour, because that's the minimum. Unless you call on a Saturday then it's an hour plus beer tax

If boat is on the trailer, just removed the bolts and block under the skag and lift front of trailer.
My boat is on a trailer at my house. I thought about doing that but I was worried about breaking the skag. If the skag can take it it’s a simple afternoon project. Motor weight is 300 ish I think.

I built a simple lifting device and it worked for my 360lb engine, also a 90hp Mercury. 3 bolts, some washers, nuts, 2 pieces of 3/4" Ply and a ring for a lifting eye. Sub 20 bucks in parts.

It's a one man job. For sure. Takes a half hour. Unless the idiot who installed it put the bolts in backwards and depending on the pod access at that point.
I did it with my son, pulled the motor off, pulled the pod, cleaned the holes in the transom, reseal the pod bolts and pod, and put the motor back on, in 3-1/2 hrs, and that was taking out time, with a forklift

Back