Timbren versus Airbags for Towing

carpeweekend

Crew Member
Looking at adding either a suspension air bag system or a Timbren suspension enhancement system to my 1 ton GMC Denali for towing. I will be towing my new boat with a goose neck trailer and trailer/boat combination will likely be around 18,000 pounds when fully loaded.

Thoughts and comments on these two different systems?

Cant say anything in regards to the Timbren systems as I’ve never seen them in action but I do have air bags in my last 3 trucks, same set actually I have just been moving them when I get a new truck. I like the air bags I have the Firestone product, not bad to install. The first time I installed I did the whole auto switch thing with pump onboard and what not but got away from it the next couple times and just went with manual air lines. I run the air lines to the rear bumber and just hide the valves as part of the rear license plate lower holes. Easy peasy to inflate and deflate once you get your first couple inflates done.

Cant say anything in regards to the Timbren systems as I’ve never seen them in action but I do have air bags in my last 3 trucks, same set actually I have just been moving them when I get a new truck. I like the air bags I have the Firestone product, not bad to install. The first time I installed I did the whole auto switch thing with pump onboard and what not but got away from it the next couple times and just went with manual air lines. I run the air lines to the rear bumber and just hide the valves as part of the rear license plate lower holes. Easy peasy to inflate and deflate once you get your first couple inflates done.
I run a similar setup and fasten the nipples in the bumper beside the plate.

Preference to air bags for me as you can control the pressure relative to a timbren. I'll run between 15-50psi depending on what I'm towing or have in the box. Bleed them down below 10 when empty.

Also, I like the bags with an internal jounce bumper so if you deflate them completely you don't destroy the bag (might not be relavent to all airbag instals but certainly with my GMs).

Have always run air bags,I too run the Firestone product it has lasted the last 12 years towing multiple rigs upwards of 12k. I would stay away from the airlift products as I had many fail on me they do have good customer service but I'm not confident in the product

I’ll mention for inflate what I do is measure the ground distance from top of rear bumper to ground when the truck is empty. Then when loaded with what ever trailer or load add air until the distance is equaled again, plus maybe a little extra, as long as it stays within the poundage range for the air bag limit, which I haven’t seen be an issue. This way when your traveling down the road at night your not giving everybody the brights all night. ( Don’t be that guy ) once you do this once or twice you will know what poundage is required for your load.

@BCROB Is running a set of Timbren's Rob thinks they work great for his F150 when he pulls his boat and has his camper in the back of the box.

I have pacbrake air bags in my Ram 3500, and had firestones in my old F150. No issues with either of them. Another vote for air bags. I have a milwaukee M12 inflator for filling them up quickly.

Not familiar with Timbrens personally but like the versatility of being able to adjust air bags individually, works well with a camper that has holding tanks on one side. As for towing I believe the Timbrens work well though

Firestone airbags. Simple to install, simple to use. Highly effective…..

pac brake myself, great local company, and can get them at Peak Diesel Performance 604-532-5700

Thanks for everyone's input on this. I am leaning towards the Firestone airbags but would still love to hear from anyone using the Timbren system.

Back