Tiller handle seized up

Fishdreamer

Crew Member
The tiller handle on my trolling motor has been getter stiffer to move for a while and it has now seized up. Has anyone else had this problem and any ideas on fixing it. I've tried salt away, WD-40, Corrosion X, and plain oil and nothing seems to free it up. It's on a Yamaha 8 hp high thrust. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The tiller handle on my trolling motor has been getter stiffer to move for a while and it has now seized up. Has anyone else had this problem and any ideas on fixing it. I've tried salt away, WD-40, Corrosion X, and plain oil and nothing seems to free it up. It's on a Yamaha 8 hp high thrust. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for the thread, unfortunately I have the same problem as ten mile and can't get it to budge to get to the inside. I've taken the handle off the motor but can't get to the area that needs the salt scraped off.

Thanks for the thread, unfortunately I have the same problem as ten mile and can't get it to budge to get to the inside. I've taken the handle off the motor but can't get to the area that needs the salt scraped off.
So you have the tiller arm off? Deep creep by seafoam worked well for my t9.9, then was able to soak the tiller arm nut for a couple days and slowly moved it back and forth with a punch and flat blade screwdriver to get it off. Then I wire wheeled all the corrosion off everything add non seize and bam good as new if not better!

the other option is a butane torch and just warm it then spray it let it cool then warm it spray it let it cool etc, then slowly work the arm back and worth. Or another trick we use in the automotive repair world is heat it up a bit then use a candle wax push it into the area as much as it will accept and that loosens rusted coolant plugs in engine blocks!

Go slow and don't brute force it, you can soak it in diesel. I'm a big fan of pb blaster too, I'd use that then diesel as the last step before breaking out the bfh.

Had the same problem with both my 8 horse yamies. Didn't have any luck with penetrating oils. Ended up taking the tiller handle off cleaned all the corrosion from the pivot and replaced the bearings. Lubed everything with super lube and put it back together.

What about pouring boiling water over the corroded area? Would that not help to loosten things up enopugh to loosen the nut? I have the same motor, but no real issues thus far.

I've had the same problem, it was a matter of loosening the nut where the tiller arm pivots. A little fluid film helped too.

I found online that a mix of acetone and transmission fluid works well on rusted stuff.
I used this once on my T9.9 where the motor pivots when you tilt it. Worked for me.

I have a Yamaha 6 with the same issue. When I bought it used a couple of years ago it was already a bit stff. It's slowly got worse and worse. I had assumed that the handle had a nut that you could tighten or loosen to adjust the friction, but it seems the arm is a press fit onto the sleeve, and will take A LOT of force to separate it. I think this is a poor design on the Yamaha, not sure if they have fixed this on the newer designs. Fortunately in my case for trolling and when tilted up, the hand is best pointing straight up. So I just leave it in the up position.

Back