Tight Steering

jimbob

My steering is really tight. Do I need to buy new cables or can someone suggest how to loosen up my steering?

I have had that problem a couple times ....could be to much of a bend in the cable or or the cable is done .

can try to get some grease down it and work it back and forth, but for 100 you might as well buy a new cable better then wrecking the helm when your out on the water ...

And, if it is an outboard, it could also be a bit of corrosion on the pivot point for the motor. With the motor down, push from side to side. If it turns freely, then the cable.
Doesn't happen often, but has happened to me.

Some of the larger outboards have one or two grease fittings to lubricate the pivot point.... but it's not uncommon for cables to rust and become sticky if they are used fairly infrequently....

had a merc,thought it was the cables...oh no no no.center pin on the motor mount firmly seized.Check that out first.Otherwise replace cables with new ones.Not worth the bandaid on the old ones

Jimbob, 90% of the time it's the ram that goes through the outboard, you got to pull or sometime drive the cable ram out and emery paper everything smooth.

I had the same problem that happenned once a year every spring. You are right reel easy. It was the ram that would seize up. I had to pull it out, clean it and after regreasing it, put it back in. Next spring, same problem. I finaly used a Merc product called Quick Silver to grease it (if I remember right) and that was the last time I had to do it. It lasted 3 years until I sold that boat and the steering was as smooth as anything.

Back