Tidal flow maps

TenMile sounds like the one I used to use, was given to me by a BC ferries worker, outstanding product now its useless as I upgraded PC to Win 7 now I lost ability to use. That's when I researched and decided the Nobletec was best way to go, graghs, color, speed and direction. Very specific places in exact locations that I fish. 100 % to the minute so far.

HM

Years ago the Pilotage Authority had one made for the Harbour to assist during landings. Hour by hour, the back eddies and trends throughout different stages of the tide were printed on massive pages with arrows of various thicknesses and curvatures representing the currents. The problem is, there are so many factors attributing to current direction at any given moment, that you could still only use it as a rough guideline. All over this coast the current can do something different from the day before at the same stage of the tide. Knowing what's possible is great, but prediction will never be entirely accurate.

OK, I found it! The program is called Tideview and can be downloaded here: http://dive.bc.ca/tideviewdownload.html -- note that it's old and requires Win 95, 98 or ME to run. If you have a 32bit version of Win 7 there are emulators that you can install to run it as well - or install a VM running 98. I happen to have a copy of Windows Home Server and it still runs this software....

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a couple screenshots of Oak Bay tomorrow morning at two different zoom steps and two different times. You can see how it shows the eddies around the Chain Islands and Trial Island.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• tideview.jpg
    tideview.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 200
  • tideview2.jpg
    tideview2.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 200
Back