Thoughts about Nordel aluminum boats?

That’s the design. I’ve been really happy with it. The big deep V and flare are great when you have a bit of weight up front.

The seat came with the original build from Walker Marine.

tha
That’s the design. I’ve been really happy with it. The big deep V and flare are great when you have a bit of weight up front.

The seat came with the original build from Walker Marine.

thanks, I'll check with walker marine on it. it sure is nice having a deep v, mine also rides quite nicely, there aren't many out there that size that have a nice big deep v.

A little late here, but we own a Nor del. It is a 17.5 to the transom & 19.5 overall. It is podded and has windshield + softtop. Bought it with a 115 merc 4 stroke and was slow as **** (topped out at 31mph). Repowered with a 150 etec and we've had her up to 47-48mph. However when trimmed up the slightest it starts to porpoise. We believe someone has ****** with the pod or something creating drag somewhere in the back end. We've been trying to figure out what is up for a while now. Well built hull in terms of being solid and bulletproof, but the ride isn't very good in chop at all. Also it goes faster in wavy conditions than flat, very weird. It can't reach rpms on the flat water. We've played with props, blah blah blah etc.. I'll give it to it though it'll do really sharp turns at 45mph lol. It's wide and lots of room for it's size. Great boat for fishing, it's got rails all across the back and sides with the riggers right up at hand level. I would like to know any other owners experience and know if they've had any issues with performance or anything in general.

A little late here, but we own a Nor del. It is a 17.5 to the transom & 19.5 overall. It is podded and has windshield + softtop. Bought it with a 115 merc 4 stroke and was slow as **** (topped out at 31mph). Repowered with a 150 etec and we've had her up to 47-48mph. However when trimmed up the slightest it starts to porpoise. We believe someone has ****** with the pod or something creating drag somewhere in the back end. We've been trying to figure out what is up for a while now. Well built hull in terms of being solid and bulletproof, but the ride isn't very good in chop at all. Also it goes faster in wavy conditions than flat, very weird. It can't reach rpms on the flat water. We've played with props, blah blah blah etc.. I'll give it to it though it'll do really sharp turns at 45mph lol. It's wide and lots of room for it's size. Great boat for fishing, it's got rails all across the back and sides with the riggers right up at hand level. I would like to know any other owners experience and know if they've had any issues with performance or anything in general.

When a boat goes faster in chop than calm water, it usually indicates a wet ride or too much hull in the water. Too much wetted surface is the term we used in my boat racing days. The pod may be stopping you from getting the front portion of the boat out of the water to increase speed due to an angle that does not match the bottom plane of the hull....it may be slightly downward and also causing the porpoising. Plus, a hull that has "hook" in it will make the bow and hull ride too far down in the water. Hook is when the back or mid section of the hull turns downward like a trim tab in a lowered position. Some very large boats have this built in to help a boat get on plane but yours should not...although your boat was not built to any precision detailing with the hull trueness.

Last edited:
This is where I'm at in the build.
Hey this is way late from your post back in August....but Kelly, why add the side stiffener to the hull? I know you had one on the Barkley Sounder (you sent me pics of your old one...I am still building mine...:rolleyes:). Does it make a big difference to the hull? I notice most commercial boats and work skiffs have it.
Cheers,
Trevor

I’m far from a boat builder but find it helps stiffen the hull up a little as it reduces the flex on the sheet aluminum side. It also acts as a rub rail at docks instead of scratching the sheet aluminum and I personally like the looks of it.

I’m far from a boat builder but find it helps stiffen the hull up a little as it reduces the flex on the sheet aluminum side. It also acts as a rub rail at docks instead of scratching the sheet aluminum and I personally like the looks of it.

Roger.
That makes sense to me. I always thought they were like built in bumpers...replace if necessary.

I purchased a 17.5 foot off of Pacific Outback resort. It was a good layout and pretty solid construction but it’s wide beam caused an extremely rough and wet ride. Based off my experience with them and the aluminium market I would not recommend that bostland setup.
Hi Kelly, someone is selling one out of Vancouver and they are asking for 39 000$
I want to buy a boat where I can fish in ukee and hopefully go out on surfing missions so I need something that would hold in swell. Do you think it’s overpriced? Do you think it would handle swell? Cheers,

Attachments

• 2ECE864F-020D-4995-B0C7-391FE8361A93.png
    2ECE864F-020D-4995-B0C7-391FE8361A93.png
    732.2 KB · Views: 110
Hi Kelly, someone is selling one out of Vancouver and they are asking for 39 000$
I want to buy a boat where I can fish in ukee and hopefully go out on surfing missions so I need something that would hold in swell. Do you think it’s overpriced? Do you think it would handle swell? Cheers,
I charter Ukee. A small centercon like that is fine on nice days, just don't stray to far from protected water. Much of the safety of a small boat lies in the person in charge....
That ain't a deal at 45k plus whatever you want to add (I don't see any details though). If the motors a pretty much new 90-115 with minimal hours and the boats in real nice shape it could be alright.
I'd keep looking if your price conscious.
Many of those little tinnies will bang your fillings out so don't expect a great ride. If they don't get the design just right (which the above comment infers they didn't). We used to call the 17' eaglecraft cc fleet in the charlottes the EagleShafts. It was quite the shafting those things doled out for a decade.

That power should last for years, plus it’s the command thrust model, so it’s got the lower gear case of the 150 hp mercury motor, swinging the big prop that will give you so much lift that the boat will pop up on plane in seconds. Those are the lighter version of the guide boats, probably 3/16 bottom and 1/8 sides, whereas the heavier ones are 1/4 inch bottom and 3/16 sides. It makes quite a bit of difference in weight and how they handle the chop.

Price wise I would say it is not a great deal. I sold my walker for the same price 2 years ago which was quite a bit beefier and newer power. For $40k you could get a better setup in the 17-19ft range. They’re tough to find but pop up once in a while.

The Nordel can handle a lot of water, I took mine from Nanaimo to almost Prince Rupert in the fall and had it out in all possible sea conditions. It does well in swell, the big beam is really stable. It would be fine fishing inshore ukee on most summer days. That said, it’s horrible in the standard 1-3 ft chop with the pounding and wet ride. For that reason I wouldn’t recommend it. There are two 17.5 Nordels tied up at Jamie’s whaling in Tofino including my old one that might be worth a look.

Attachments

• 336E240C-8B33-410D-A0FD-C3254C9B0E38.jpeg
    336E240C-8B33-410D-A0FD-C3254C9B0E38.jpeg
    537.4 KB · Views: 108
Price wise I would say it is not a great deal. I sold my walker for the same price 2 years ago which was quite a bit beefier and newer power. For $40k you could get a better setup in the 17-19ft range. They’re tough to find but pop up once in a while.

The Nordel can handle a lot of water, I took mine from Nanaimo to almost Prince Rupert in the fall and had it out in all possible sea conditions. It does well in swell, the big beam is really stable. It would be fine fishing inshore ukee on most summer days. That said, it’s horrible in the standard 1-3 ft chop with the pounding and wet ride. For that reason I wouldn’t recommend it. There are two 17.5 Nordels tied up at Jamie’s whaling in Tofino including my old one that might be worth a look.
Is that your Walker in the pic? Nor Del's are very wet, not much for reverse chine up front to deflect spray away.

I charter Ukee. A small centercon like that is fine on nice days, just don't stray to far from protected water. Much of the safety of a small boat lies in the person in charge....
That ain't a deal at 45k plus whatever you want to add (I don't see any details though). If the motors a pretty much new 90-115 with minimal hours and the boats in real nice shape it could be alright.
I'd keep looking if your price conscious.
Many of those little tinnies will bang your fillings out so don't expect a great ride. If they don't get the design just right (which the above comment infers they didn't). We used to call the 17' eaglecraft cc fleet in the charlottes the EagleShafts. It was quite the shafting those things doled out for a decade.
Thanks for your point of view. I have been looking for a while and haven’t been able to find anything welded that makes sense. I guess I might have more chances in the spring? I want something simple and reliable and I’m just too scared of fibreglass. The dream would be to start guiding eventually so I think that boat could be a good start to bring people on and get experience. If you hear of anything for sale let me know!

That is pretty crazy you took that boat that far up north!! I have done that trip for work on a 40ft boat in October and it was definitely hairy at times.
I don’t fully understand why they (nor dels) would be so bad in chop? Are you meaning wind/tide chop or just small swell? And are you comparing them to other aluminum CC boats or something different? You are definitely dealing with a rookie here.
I have my eyes also on a 17ft lifetimer with a 70hp and I really wouldn’t be able to tell if that would not handle chop bad like you say or not… I will go look at those Nor dels tomorrow in Tofino. Maybe someone has a boat for sale there?

Is that your Walker in the pic? Nor Del's are very wet, not much for reverse chine up front to deflect spray away.
That is good to know. Is there a way to weld something to make it better you think? And also do you think I would get completely wet on average days? I definitely could handle some sprays for some nice fish 😏

Is that the one?

Attachments

• 81193480-57DD-45B9-8E48-0A3778803EE9.jpeg
    81193480-57DD-45B9-8E48-0A3778803EE9.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 71
  • B6363365-5C05-40CE-8FB4-3FBCA7143097.jpeg
    B6363365-5C05-40CE-8FB4-3FBCA7143097.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 70
That is pretty crazy you took that boat that far up north!! I have done that trip for work on a 40ft boat in October and it was definitely hairy at times.
I don’t fully understand why they (nor dels) would be so bad in chop? Are you meaning wind/tide chop or just small swell? And are you comparing them to other aluminum CC boats or something different? You are definitely dealing with a rookie here.
I have my eyes also on a 17ft lifetimer with a 70hp and I really wouldn’t be able to tell if that would not handle chop bad like you say or not… I will go look at those Nor dels tomorrow in Tofino. Maybe someone has a boat for sale there?
I don't think there are many 17-19' boats that would handle a 3' chop very well.

Yes that used to be my walker.

That's one of the Nordels in Tofino, my old nordel isn't in the water but is usually parked there. Thats the same hull as the one you're looking at.

No small aluminum rides well in chop but some better than others. I don't think there is any mods for that hull that would improve the ride/spray. I'm sure something will come up online. It usually takes me 6-12 months to find a new aluminum, there just aren't many on the market and when they come up most are overpriced.

Back