Thompson River Sockeye Opening

You are correct. New notice out and effective midnight tonight limit goes to 4 sockeye for the Thompson. Kind of surprising as it didn't seem like the run was that big last weekend and I thought latest predictions were for a run slightly smaller than 2010 and I don't recall them ever increasing that limit to 4. Be interesting to see what kind of crowds come out now although everyone was very friendly and helpful to the newbies last weekend.

Should see the increase to 4 sox/day for the Lillooet and Thompson River sockeye fisheries/flosseries by Monday, if not sooner.

Ukee

It was 4/day on the Big T in 2010. No where near the effort, thus catch/harvest, as the Fraser sees so I believe the thought is the rec harvest is insignificant so long as the Late Shuswap run size is predicted to be over X # of millions of fish (not sure if X is 5 million, 6 million or whatever). One argument is that 4/day thins crowds as folks only need so many total fish in the season, particularly these fish 400+km from the ocean, which most of us consider smoker quality compared to what you can catch in the Wack. Flip side is, it takes each individual longer to limit out and the big daily quota makes it worthwhile for folks to spend the gas $'s to come from further away. In any case, I agree, much more civilized crowds than down on the Fraser. I like it because many runs are better fished with a fly rod than conventional gear and they're a hoot in the heavy current on fly gear!!

Late drive home back from up North and stopped for a squirt at Steelhead park. Finally big numbers rolling at the lake outlet, so i think the first big push of fish are here!

Ukee

Fresh new runs coming in now. Spoke with others this weekend and they said that it had been extremely slow on Thursday and Friday compared to last weekend and the fish were turning color, however, Saturday morning a big push of new fish in really nice condition with just that light pink hue to many of them. Yesterday everyone got fish and many with limits but much slower today and no one with limits that I saw. The springs are now arriving as well. Those targeting springs were getting into them. I had one peel a pile of line on me Saturday morning before spitting the hook but landed a 20 lber today. Saw several in mid teens taken over the weekend. Looks like a good week coming up.

Back