Thinking of a SeaSport Sportsman 2200...

fishwish

Thinking of a 22 foot SeaSport with a Volvo Penta 5.0 GI.

Any experiences, good or bad, that people could pass on? It will be used mainly for fishing, inside and on the west side. Family of 4. We currently run a 20 foot Trophy WA.

Thanks in advance for the info,

FishWish

Thinking of a 22 foot SeaSport with a Volvo Penta 5.0 GI.

Any experiences, good or bad, that people could pass on? It will be used mainly for fishing, inside and on the west side. Family of 4. We currently run a 20 foot Trophy WA.

Thanks in advance for the info,

FishWish

Spent this past weekend fishing with my buddy in his. Sleeps three of us comfortably. Great boat for inshore and offshore fishing. Cruises at about 44-45 litres per hour with the 5.0. The forward facing windshield gives piles of room for electronics on the dash.
Dave

Funny, we have a family of 4 and had a 1802 Trophy previously so I understand where you are coming from.

Love my 2200. they are one of the safest most seaworthy boats out there. As for fishing and general cruising, there is little more I could ever ask for given the size. The build quality is first class and the hardware is all good quality and there was not much skimped on as many of the on line blogs will confirm. It handles the chop better than all boats in its size class from what I have experienced and seen.

It is not the type of boat that you will jump into first time and blast out of the hole looking like a super star as it takes a bit to learn how to handle it properly and use your tabs to your advantage- much different from a Trophy where you just hammer the throttle down and your off. The biggest downfall I have found is that it is very sensitive to weight shifts at higher speeds and getting a young family to sit still is a challenge to say the least. That said I would have still bought the boat if I knew that pre purchase. There is no perfect boat and it takes getting a bit used to is all. Once you are used to it and get them set up as you want they are hard to beat.

The 5.0 Gxi is a chev 305 and if you are handy turning wrenches you should be able to take care of most maintenance. They are a bit thirsty but I didn't get into fishing to save money.:p

The boats were made in Bellingham originally as a family biz and was sold I believe in the late 90's. some say the build quality went down after that, but I have heard that is a BS story. They merged with Skagit Orca, Sea Dory and another brand that escapes me but they dropped Seasport in 08 when the world stopped spinnin on its axis. Looks like they are making them again in the last 6 or so months as I googled them a while ago and they where selling new models for 80K

Really Profisher is the guy to ask. He has had his much longer than I have had mine, but that is my $.02.

Shepnoir,

That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for... I am constantly playing with my trim tabs right now when the kids are moving around as you know they do.

Seems like lots of room in there...can you sleep 2 kids on the drop down dinette? I was thinking that one of them might have to sleep on the floor...they are 3 and 5 right now, so they are only going to get bigger :)

I actually already pm'd profisher for some info.

Vette,

I like the forward sloping as well...the one I am looking at has an 8 inch display sounder/plotter/radar and there is lots of room for more.

Thanks to both of you,

FishWish

There are a couple of 24's in town to compare. Personally if you can swing it the 24 would give you a little more room to grow. 22 would be pretty crowded for anything other than a day trip. Just my .02

Good point Charlie, I would do a 2400 if I had the choice now but that is 2'itis talking. the 2200 is more than enough if things are kept orderly. Might want to go with the 5.7 if pushing two extra feet. There are two models of the 2400 one with a larger dance floor, the other with a larger cabin. It would be a coin toss in terms of which one I would rather so I would kill both birds and get the 26'!!:rolleyes: haha.

Lots of room for the electrics - although I would look at mounting them to the ceiling if I could do it over. I may still move mine. - I have a 10" and it is a bit big for the dash.

Make sure it has an aft helm. - essential.

I don't know about two on the dinette... I throw the little one up front with the mrs and I and Rhys gets the dinette. I have been known to throw a futon on the roof and sleep up there too! - I would not suggest this with the kids however.

Sculpin dreaming about fibreglass? WTF?! ;)

I dream about all kinds of boats...........even tupperware :p.

I have crawled around a few SeaSports at boat shows etc. and they are a very quality built vessel like others have posted. I really like all the thru bolting, fish holds, cabin layouts, forward sloping windshields, etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everyone for the feedback....now just to figure out if I want to spend the money...tough decision considering I have a great boat right now...darn 2 footitis :)

FishWish

Shepnoir,

Seems like lots of room in there...can you sleep 2 kids on the drop down dinette? I was thinking that one of them might have to sleep on the floor...they are 3 and 5 right now, so they are only going to get bigger :)

FishWish

Hey FW -- I can't comment on the layout of the SeaSport as I've never owned one, however, our last boat was a Striper 2600 Sport Cabin which is a very similar layout to the SeaSport. I too have a family with kids (they are 8 & 10 now, but where the same age as yours when we purchased it).

Two big things to consider that I learned from this similar layout...

Depending upon how much cruising/camping your plan to do, having the kids sleep on the dinette gets old very fast. Means you are always packing and moving stuff, and you're in bed when the kiddies go down. Makes for a very cramped living space -- we really didn't enjoy it. We ended up searching for a boat that had a forward v-berth plus a roomy quarter berth for the kids to sleep and keep their stuff. Just food for thought.

The other thing to consider is engine access. I believe the SeaSport has a doghouse style engine access cover in the cockpit. Again, I've not seen their layout, but do yourself a favour when looking at the boat -- locate the semi-regular major maintenance items such as the alternator, cooling pump/impeller, and starter (particularly that one) and make sure there is sufficient room to get arms and tools to change them out. That Striper above had absolutely the tightest engine access space -- when my starter failed, there was absolutely no way to get an arm into the area to swap it out -- had to remove the manifolds to get at it. Was also similarly painful to get at the water pump to change the impeller -- had one shop phone and ask if they could literally pull the engine to change a $40 part!!! Plus, when fishing from the back deck, I lost count of the number of times I barked my shins on the doghouse -- or fell over the damn thing when the water was rough.

Back