thinking of a pod

sly_karma

Crew Member
My old 19' Lund fibreglass project boat is starting to reveal some transom weakness. The entire transom/splash well area of this hull is awkwardly shaped and difficult to access and work on, so I would love to reconfigure it. Some level of repair work needs to be done anyway, which led to me wondering about a pod conversion. This boat/engine/trailer package owes me less than $4000, and I've enjoyed working on it immensely. Can someone please direct me to some online resources about doing this work? Step-by-step with pictures if possible (I know, I don't want much...) so I can determine if this would be within my skill set.

I'm pretty handy, carpenter by trade, recently completed successful electrical rebuild of this boat, do my own engine maintenance and some repairs. I don't have any fibreglass experience but would consider taking it on with some direction from someone with background. The hull has a plywood deck over foam floatation and the ply is getting soft in places, I was planning to tear out the outdoor carpet finish, replace the ply and cover the new ply with fibreglass, that could be a good starting place to develop experience.

Of course the other possibility is, have the work done professionally. I'm in the Okanagan so access to boat craftspeople isn't what it is at the coast. Anyone car to throw out a rough number for budgeting? Transom rebuild and pod for main.

Unless you really love that boat and feel safe with its seakeeping qualities in the types of water you fish, sell it for close to what you bought it for and use your skills to maintain and upgrade to something even better. You won't get your money back for the cost of the pod and outboard, especially if your own time is worth more than $0.00. Prices at Industrial Plastics in Kelowna aren't great and their inventory is mediocre for boat repair stuff.

Thanks for replies so far. Selling and moving on has certainly crossed my mind. The money aspect is a fair comment, but I'm happy with the current power (old and thirsty but reliable and cheap up front - and minimal resale value), and the price gap up to something similar to now but with pod work already done would be substantial enough to raise flags with the Minister for War and Finance. No decision yet, does anyone have links to step-by-step pod conversion report?

Back