Thinking about new trailer or refebishing old one

NootkaSounder

Seems I Can't edit title for grammar

I'm thinking about a new trailer for my boat, it's currently sitting in a Caulkins double axle bunk/roller trailer with surge breaks. I was towing with a dodge Cummins before but now I'm switching to an f150 and I'm not putting big payload in the box anymore.

So I want something with electric disk brakes that has good adjustment as I trailer to gold river from Victoria.

I would like to trade my current trailer in possibly. Who builds trailers locally? Or is it cheaper to get an American trailer?

2nt option is their anyone who does the work at upgrading older trailers and adjusting them to fit a boat properly as I don't feel mine is sitting properly on my current trailer.

Home base is out of Victoria, as far as boat trailers go I will admit my knowledge is non existent.

Advice would be great as I want to get this ball rolling in the off season.

Last edited:
Coast mountain trailers in Nanaimo has good prices on roadrunner and alpine marine in Langford has a sale going on now

Roadrunner here in Richmond is good. Call Mike directly. He fishes Nootka a lot. Your gonna pay approx. 4-6K for a new tandem axle with disks on it. The good thing about Roadrunner is you can build it with the options you want. I would recommend a combo bunk/roller. I think it makes it easier to offload (rollers) and the bunks offer some stability. btw, I had an old trailer I put on Craigs list a couple of years ago and got dozens of calls. Old trailers seem to be in demand.

Roadrunner here in Richmond is good. Call Mike directly. He fishes Nootka a lot. Your gonna pay approx. 4-6K for a new tandem axle with disks on it. The good thing about Roadrunner is you can build it with the options you want. I would recommend a combo bunk/roller. I think it makes it easier to offload (rollers) and the bunks offer some stability. btw, I had an old trailer I put on Craigs list a couple of years ago and got dozens of calls. Old trailers seem to be in demand.

Well this caulkins is really nice, I just would like to update it and get help with fitting it to the boat. I put new berrings in last year and led lighting. So if I could find someone who knows their stuff and able to do some modification.

I used Thomcat Trailers in Langford for a disk brake / electric over hydraulic conversion last year. They were great to work with. Took my old surge /drum brakes off and installed new disks and EOH actuator. Great work, and good people. I had one little issue come up and that they fixed right away. In fact they told me to stop by on my way to fishing one day and they put their work aside and fixed it while I stood there and drank my morning tea.

I'm considering a new trailer as well...I called Boatmart in Red Deer Alberta for a price on replacing my 5800 pound Shorland'r galvanized roller trailer. Comes with electric over hydraulic disk brakes, dropped axles etc...$11,700.00 ouch!!! Bought the same trailer there in 2004 for around $7,000.00.

I'm currently redoing my tandem drum brake setup,new backing plates,drums,speedi-sleeves,bearings,seals,and flush system.I picked up backing plates and drums from Sherwood on sale (approx. 1/2 price) and I'm still into the job for over $800 in parts alone,I hate to think what it would cost to have someone do the job,it's a lot of work,although not very complicated.I bought SKF bearings and was disappointed to see "Made in China" stamped on them.My trailer works very well but I'm wondering if selling the trailer and buying a new one with disc brakes and torsion axles and oil bath bearings might have been a better investment.After looking at Rollies "Profisher" post I guess maybe it still makes sense to keep repairing what I have.

most bearings are made in China these days
SKF, Rockwell American, (ha ha) Timken etc.
make sure you use the right grease (red waterproof)

I believe the last bearings I got were Timken and they were made in Germany. Only reason I remember was both the parts guy and myself both commented on it. Rare that you see anything these days not made in China. Thinking back on it I should of bought more.

My recommendations based on past experiences.

Buying new is better is best if you're doing anything more than break maintenance. All of my surge disc brakes have been a huge PIA. I ended up with a with a electric over hydraulic system with drum brakes. There have been a number of failures with electric over hydraulic disc systems due to heat, a friend had a one of his calipers catch fire! In a perfect world the discs would out last the drums but not worth in the long run, discs cost more when buying a new trailer and when replacing. And drum boat trailers have a hose bib connection for flushing. No matter with what you end up with the fit and set up of the trailer to your boat is the most important.

Here is how I would go about your search. Call a few trailer manufactures and explain your situation. I called EZ Loader, King & Gateway and I think you should start with EZ Loaded, explain your situation and location. They can make a recommendation on the best model to buy and a dealer to work with that can help with the proper fit. My dealer had a local EZ Loader employee that delivered the trailer meet me there and make sure it was set up best for the hull. Theirs are built to be adjustable and thus much easier to set up. Have these measurements handy: Width of the bottom (chine to chine), beam, depth of the V below the chine and center line length (from the bow to the transom or extended transom depending on which you have.

Position of the axles, bunks and which post is key. The rule of thumb is the tongue 10% weight of the total estimated weight of hull and trailer. And making sure the trailer frame is flat when hooked up to the truck. If it is high you'll get sway and ware out the rears first, too low and you'll have too much forward weight and wear the fronts first. Heavy duty side load guides are a must and make sure they won't bend or break if your hull is offline. Oil bath hubs are the way to go without question. No more blown seals, less maintenance and you can always see if they need any attention. And lastly add 25-30% of the capacity above what your hull loaded up weighs. I also tow with an F-150, my total weight is 4800 lbs and I felt a night and day difference from my old trailer to my new one that is properly set up and "over built" for my weight.

Lastly being in Victoria you may want to consider coming down to Washington for the purchase. Tom & Jerry's or Master Marine are both located close to Anacortes.

Good luck!

About your old trailer the dealer may take it on trade, you you buy a new trailer local I would list it on CL once you have made the swap.

This is where I got my trailer. Got the 10,000 pound model and it has been great. Added EOH for another $1000.
Launches like a dream. With the vertical guides in the back I can launch and retrieve my 27 Sea Sport by myself no problem. I purchased mine when the dollar was closer to par but still way less than anything in Canada.
He does not haggle on price. Price is as listed and everyone pays the same which I like.
He will deliver to the border too for a small fee.

http://www.wordboats.com/new-2013-t...iler-25-31ft-10,600#-6-discs?rt=1&ri=14965403

http://www.wordboats.com/NewTrailers

Have owned a number of different brands of boat trailers. For my current boat I decided on a Highliner trailer based on talks with owners of different trailers.

Here's my experience with this trailer over the past eight seasons, admittedly nearly all on paved roads. Single axle , surge drum brakes with flush kit. Capacity approx 4,000 lbs. carries a 20 ft Grady.

It is:

Solid- heavy gauge galvanized box steel members.

Low maintenance - the least amount of maintenance of any trailer I have owned. Goes in for brakes to Highliner every 2-3 years, haven't had to replace the bearings for three years (examined by Highliner this year).

Easy maintenance - I replaced the lights this year after 8 seasons. They came off with the removal of two nuts. Installation involved attaching the wiring eyelets with supplied screws. No replacement or stringing of wiring. 5 minutes per side for installation. Great design compared to other trailers I have owned.

Local service- located in Tibury park, Delta BC . After I bought the trailer through a dealer, Highliner fit my boat to it for no charge. They checked the hitch weight and moved the axles so the hitch weight was what it should be.

Best thing- this is a top quality, made in BC product from a local company.

I would recommend you consider this brand.

Back