There is something very, very wrong with today’s music. It just may not be very good

A great source to find new music of ear-opening variety is NPR's "Tiny Desk Concert". Years of top talent and talented unknowns play a short set straight up behind the desk at NPR radio. Tedeschi Trucks of course, but also check Sting and Shaggy together, Brittany Howard (Alabama Shieks), Tank and the Bangas, Daniel Ceasar at his best, T Pain shows what great talent there is behind a "rap" type musician, Mac Miller just before his death and on and on. Country, Rock Jazz Classical, bluegrass, Tom Jones(!), Tower of Power.. so many great "discoveries" waiting.

That versions of Creep is awesome, I do like the non radio version better tho haha. Thom Yorke has some serious talent, imo.

And just because, here's some wide ranging talent, with too many gone already:

I like how they managed to list 5 songs/albums from the last 45 years that are still relevant like it’s the deciding factor, not much to brag about! Lol also the source is coming from an industry point of view and it reads like they’re losing market share. No surprise as the gatekeepers everywhere are losing their hold, too many options to publish. There’s still tons of good music out there, maybe more than ever! And to be fair lots of trash too, just like always.

As I guy in my early 40's I don't like most of the new crap but if you overhear Metallica, Pantera, Manson or even Alice Cooper you might have found my boat on the water. NO COUNTRY NO RAP! my 14 year old son feels the same. I like it as background music and love it for the rides in and out.

As I guy in my early 40's I don't like most of the new crap but if you overhear Metallica, Pantera, Manson or even Alice Cooper you might have found my boat on the water. NO COUNTRY NO RAP! my 14 year old son feels the same. I like it as background music and love it for the rides in and out.

Awesome

All of the above, but I do also like my country and reggae summer music.

I heard people tend to listen to music that they grew up with.
As a guy in my 50's I'm still into heavy metal like Iron maiden, Accept, Halloween
I love telling kids where I work old geezers in their mid to late 60's can out play
the musicians they listen to today.

There is some newer stuff thats ok but few and far between... think someone else said it right that there's just a swamp of garbage and hard to find something really decent in the soup.

On the plus side, it's never been easier to hear exactly what you want. The dominance of MTV and top 40 radio were powerful gatekeepers that shaped what we listened to, whether we realised it or not. I always chuckled to myself in the 90s when "Alternate Rock", aka grunge, ruled the airwaves, because there was no alternative offered. Then came Napster in 2000 and everything changed.

The minus side is the same ss the plus side - you can listen to anything you want, but you have to know about it to want to listen to it...

things in the 90's and early 2000's were rough... most of the stuff was shifted twards country or rap... Grunge stuff never did anything for me but funny as it is now you hear it on the radio and I deal with it or even kinda like it as it puts me back to that time. Happy to know my Satallite radio works in the boat.... 5 more work days guys and I'm out!

Back