Then and Now. Sport Fishing for Salmon in British Columbia

I think there is big potential to expand this for further episodes. Just think of the other historic fishing locations - just on Vancouver Island alone: Port Alberni and its Labour Day Derby, Cowichan Bay fishery, Saanich Inlet, Oak Bay, Sooke/East Sooke, the crazy Georgia Strait coho fishery up until the early 90s..... and then the development of the flyfishing scene in freshwater - think Haig Brown. Then go off the island and put episodes on the Skeena, Rivers Inlet, Queen Charlottes, Fraser River, Thompson River fisheries! We had a thread here not so long ago with cool historic pictures. And then if you add the newly emerging fisheries like tuna, you can easily fill 10 action and history packed episodes on one of the once greatest sport fisheries in the world! Too bad that our government now see this as a nuisance instead of a unique opportunity that other nations would kill for.

I think there is big potential to expand this for further episodes. Just think of the other historic fishing locations - just on Vancouver Island alone: Port Alberni and its Labour Day Derby, Cowichan Bay fishery, Saanich Inlet, Oak Bay, Sooke/East Sooke, the crazy Georgia Strait coho fishery up until the early 90s..... and then the development of the flyfishing scene in freshwater - think Haig Brown. Then go off the island and put episodes on the Skeena, Rivers Inlet, Queen Charlottes, Fraser River, Thompson River fisheries! We had a thread here not so long ago with cool historic pictures. And then if you add the newly emerging fisheries like tuna, you can easily fill 10 action and history packed episodes on one of the once greatest sport fisheries in the world! Too bad that our government now see this as a nuisance instead of a unique opportunity that other nations would kill for.
I think this a great idea, and honestly due to Covid restrictions which limited our travel and interview opportunities, we captured what we could but there was SO much amazing history here in BC and info to highlight in our discovery stage.

Saw it today. Well done! Martin speaks well but sometimes a bit much. I think they could have given some other fishing icons a chance to weigh in too.
Is this just this one episode or is this a series with more to come?
I agree Chris. I was surprised at how much time I was on camera, as most folks have told me I've got a better face for radio than TV! That being said, it was a really fun day, and I was honored to help Josey get her first chinook. It's also so good that the show highlights the important conservation message regarding proper release. We all need to keep in mind that aside from benefits to spawning populations in MSF, in retention fisheries todays keeper may have been last years shaker. Release them carefully and everyone benefits!

I agree Chris. I was surprised at how much time I was on camera, as most folks have told me I've got a better face for radio than TV! That being said, it was a really fun day, and I was honored to help Josey get her first chinook. It's also so good that the show highlights the important conservation message regarding proper release. We all need to keep in mind that aside from benefits to spawning populations in MSF, in retention fisheries todays keeper may have been last years shaker. Release them carefully and everyone benefits!
You're a natural on camera Martin, and your message was so important. :) Thanks for getting me onto my first chinook and for all you do for our sport fishery!

As a Tyee Club Member and active Rower, I thought the show was awesome ! You could do an entire show just on the Tyee Club. Norm Lee has encyclopedic knowledge of the History ! Some of the Old time Guides are still around and it would be great to capture their stories.
I thought I recognized Dave H's Hat

CR Greg

As a Tyee Club Member and active Rower, I thought the show was awesome ! You could do an entire show just on the Tyee Club. Norm Lee has encyclopedic knowledge of the History ! Some of the Old time Guides are still around and it would be great to capture their stories.
I thought I recognized Dave H's Hat

CR Greg
Thanks for your feedback!! Norm was FULL of information, it was truly such a treat to hear all his knowledge and stories of the area.

Great content and a good watch. If I had to critique one thing, the narration was a little blah. A little enthusiasm could have gone a long way.

Back