Theft of fishing gear from Vancouver area boats

SalmonSeeker

Crew Member
Folks,

Some of you may be aware that there have been a large number of thefts from boats at Mosquito Creek Marina in North Vancouver. Fishing gear has been targeted.

After our boat was broken into last April (two electric Scotty downriggers were stolen), I installed an alarm. Last night I had a call from the RCMP who had just apprehended someone trying to break into our boat. They caught the individual leaving the marina with a bunch of fishing gear, thankfully none of it ours. It appears he had broken into another boat before visiting ours. He was likely trying to break into our boat when he set off the alarm and someone called the police. The police responded immediately and after apprehending the individual, gave me a call to ask me to come down to the marina.

The police are currently trying to locate the owner of the fishing gear that was in the individual’s possession when he was arrested. He claims the gear is all his, and the RCMP cannot prove otherwise until they locate the owner of the gear. Included were 4 Fenwick downrigger rods with Islander MR-2 reels, and two inflatable life jackets. If you or anyone you know has a boat at Mosquito Creek Marina, please check your boats to make sure this is not your gear.

In addition to the gear the guy had on him when arrested, the police also found more fishing gear in his van. If anyone has had fishing gear stolen from a boat in the Vancouver area recently, they should call the North Vancouver RCMP and let them know.

The only way the RCMP can charge this guy is if they can positively ID the gear as stolen. Please contact the North Vancouver RCMP if you have any information you think might be useful, or for more details about the gear that was recovered.

Please forward this message to other fisherman in the Greater Vancouver area.

and if he has lifted the gear, off with his hands

should be able to tell the rcmp which boat is his then, should he not???

and if the tackle is his, who was there trying to do your boat over?

Hmmm, funny I just got an email from the creek regarding this too,
I was just there today but wasnt checking gear,
guess I better go by and have a look, I usually dont leave expensive gear on board anyway.
but inflateables and such-yes

From what I understand this goof was in Horseshoe Bay as well.

BEWARE of anything you find on Craigslist on in Pawn Shops.....dollars to donuts....it's probably hot stuff being fenced.

From what I understand this goof was in Horseshoe Bay as well. BEWARE of anything you find on Craigslist on in Pawn Shops.....dollars to donuts....it's probably hot stuff being fenced.
I haven't seen any outrageous deals of late but if any of us do we should put up a post here.

Thanks for posting this SS. I am going to C&P to another Van board

I forgot to mention that he also had a memory card, presumably digital charts from someone's GPS / chart plotter.

The Story as I understand it is he was caught with a truckload of stuff he claims is his own,
the cops have it in their posessiion but cant prove it untill someone identifies some of thier stuff
then they can charge him, I also heard there was a guide boat hit in sewells for a couple riggers as well,
here is the email I got from mosquito creek

"Good day, we have recently become aware of a suspected individual who may be responsible for missing items on Marina property.

We are advising all customers available through email to please check their belongings.

Should you notice anything missing please call:

Constable Stacey Robinson

Stacey.robinson@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

She will require further information to release any possessions they have recovered.

Thank you for your attention and please advise your neighbors as they may not have received this email.

Shawna Baker

Administration Manager

Mosquito Creek Marina

415 West Esplanade

North Vancouver, BC

V7M 1A6

Office: 604-987-4113

Fax: 604-987-6852

Cell: 604-968-7888"

did you guys see on the news about that van in squamish that had those tracks stolen on it, I'm sick with this so called justice around here

Heres the email I got today from the Marina

In response to previous email inquiries here is some more information on items recovered.

Thank you all

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: XXXXXXXXX
Sent: Thu Jan 05 13:30:41 2012
Subject: Press Release - stolen fishing gear

Cst. Jeff Palmer #197

West Vancouver Police

Integrated First Nations Policing Unit

147 East 14th Street

North Vancouver BC V7L 2N4

604-969-7335(Office)

604-250-7563 (Cell)

email: jeff.palmer@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

Internet: http://ifnu.bc.rcmp.ca

This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message and may contain information that is privileged confidential and exempt from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient you are hereby notified that the dissemination distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you believe that you received this message in error please notify the original sender immediately.

>>> Richard DE JONG 2012-01-05 12:40 >>>

North Vancouver
Owners requested to identify stolen fishing gear
File # 2012-343
2012-01-05 11:49 PST

On January 04, 2012 at approximately 7:30 p.m. the North Vancouver RCMP responded to a Break and Enter in progress at a local marina. A passerby reported hearing an audible alarm coming from a boat at the ‘Mosquito Creek Marina’, located at 415 West Esplanade in North Vancouver.

Police arrived in minutes and located a male walking away from the location with an assortment of high end fishing reels and rods in his possession. Subsequently, a 43 year old Maple Ridge man was arrested for Possession of Stolen Property Obtained by Crime. Further investigation revealed that the alleged suspect had in his nearby vehicle more high end fishing equipment, including various down-riggers.

Police are led to believe that the accused has had access to several marinas in the Lower Mainland and has stolen various fishing equipment from other boats. The accused has utilized pawn shops to obtain cash for the stolen property.

The North Vancouver RCMP is requesting the assistance of the public in helping identify the seized fishing equipment. “The police need to identify the rightful owners of the property to be able to add to the criminal charges against the accused,” stated Cpl. Richard De Jong, spokesperson for the North Vancouver RCMP. “Local marina boat owners may need to check on the well being of their boats and related fishing equipment.”

Any information relating to this investigation, can be forwarded to Cst. Stacey Robinson of the North Vancouver RCMP via e-mail at stacey.robinson@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

Released by

Cpl. Richard De Jong

Media Relations / Crime Reduction Unit
North Vancouver RCMP
http://nvan.rcmp.ca
147 East 14 St, North Vancouver, BC, V7L-2N4
Office: (604) 969-7561
Cell: (604) 363-5584
Fax: (604) 990-7450

Email: richard.dejong@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate those scum bags and those pawn shops are right in there with them. Bottom dweller's.

Hey high 5, don't they just cut off the hands of thieves where you come from? LOL Get the Kaziksatanian police on the job man.:D

Hey high 5, don't they just cut off the hands of thieves where you come from? LOL Get the Kaziksatanian police on the job man.:D
I AGREE!!! 10 fold

Hey Guys,

I hate these scum as much as the next and would be beyond devistated if this were to happen to me. However given the post script about confidential info etc. you may want to re-word the email forwarded that the RCMP wrote. Probably not a biggy, but just don't want to see one of us get in the shyte or have this jack butt get off due to some technicallity surrounding unfair evidance gathering if his lawyer were to get a hold of this thread. I'm no legal eagle and I'm probably being paranoid, but thought I would throw it out there. Speaking of throwing I sincerly hope the judge throws the book at this guy!! Hope no one takes this the wrong way and hope that all involved get their gear back.

Good Idea Shep! I had a re-look after you mentioned.. I'm gunna edit the other board post

I got nuthin on religion but replace Jew with thief, scum bag, tweaker.. whatever you like..

[Vb3IMTJjzfo] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb3IMTJjzfo

Hey Guys,

I hate these scum as much as the next and would be beyond devistated if this were to happen to me. However given the post script about confidential info etc. you may want to re-word the email forwarded that the RCMP wrote. Probably not a biggy, but just don't want to see one of us get in the shyte or have this jack butt get off due to some technicallity surrounding unfair evidance gathering if his lawyer were to get a hold of this thread. I'm no legal eagle and I'm probably being paranoid, but thought I would throw it out there. Speaking of throwing I sincerly hope the judge throws the book at this guy!! Hope no one takes this the wrong way and hope that all involved get their gear back.
that post scrip confidentiallity thing is just a formality/auto signature I think as this email was mass emailed to all marina customers with a valid email addy on file, and not just at mosquito creek but most other marinas in the lower mainland, they are encouraging everyone to forward and discuss with thier neighbors, social media has become a great tool for law enforcement, just look at the vancouver riots for instance.
untill someone comes forward and identifies something as being thiers they cant charge him at this point it is only suspicion and he may get off,
they should be able to track the islanders from the serial#'s and I know the new scotty HP downriggers have a serial number too as mine were printed right on my reciept,

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats great that they caught this pr__k ....... hope he rots for a few years.
Make sure that you engrave your gear or record serial numbers........otherwise you are SOL even if they are recovered
Ask me why I know.

Thats great that they caught this pr__k ....... hope he rots for a few years.
Make sure that you engrave your gear or record serial numbers........otherwise you are SOL even if they are recovered
Ask me why I know.

Cops say will take months to find the rightful owners
The items that are not returned............Well guess I'll have to be the first bidder at the annual VPD auctions, LOL

Back