The start of the next wave?

Would be amazing to troll with an electric motor.
Not just troll, full electric would be awesome. Probably not cost effective in the time I have left but still think it would be cool

That will need to be replaced 2 times per trip lol

yeah but i've been a fan of swappable batteries, its something i would like to see in EVs, It would be much easier to drive up to a station and someone swap your battery to a full one then sit there and charge.

What if that was your means to get home if your main fails? Hope you get 4 to 6 hours of runtime out of that if that's your auxiliary. Not sure the technology is quiet there yet. We'll see

What if that was your means to get home if your main fails? Hope you get 4 to 6 hours of runtime out of that if that's your auxiliary. Not sure the technology is quiet there yet. We'll see
There’s a company producing a big HP electric 180 I believe. Their estimated run time is 2 hrs at 20m/hr with their specially designed hull and a set of batteries the size of two inboards. So in the real world,, 1 hr run time at 10m/hr basically get out of the harbour do one lap around the bay and get towed back in. Yes a loooong ways to go lol.

There’s a company producing a big HP electric 180 I believe. Their estimated run time is 2 hrs at 20m/hr with their specially designed hull and a set of batteries the size of two inboards. So in the real world,, 1 hr run time at 10m/hr basically get out of the harbour do one lap around the bay and get towed back in. Yes a loooong ways to go lol.
Water has too much drag, even electric vehicles have a hard time getting 500km in range with almost no resistance.. lol people who think this full electric world is gonna happen in 3 years is DREAMING! a total pipe dream in 20 years we MIGHT be there but that's a ways away.. lol

Funny you mentioned that. I literally was having this conversation with my rep this afternoon. I asked him how the Miami boat show went and if he ran into the merc electric. Then after the conversation went into the e-motion company which is based out of canada. They are buying tohatsu 115 profile engines without the power heads and installing their electric power on them. We ended it with a chuckle. Not going to happen lol.

I found out in this conversation that the merc engine is basically made by motor guide, who does the trolling motors. Think mercury owns that company. Anyhow apparently it's about equivalent to a 6hp motor. Not cheap. Neither is the 180 electric. That one sets you back 80 grand. Ouch

Water has too much drag, even electric vehicles have a hard time getting 500km in range with almost no resistance.. lol people who think this full electric world is gonna happen in 3 years is DREAMING! a total pipe dream in 20 years we MIGHT be there but that's a ways away.. lol
Agreed.

i have an electric jet kayak which works very well. it runs 8 hrs on a lifepo4 24v battery.
big boats can have a genny with direct drive but its less efficient than just putting in a diesel.
elco already makes a ton of electric outboards running at 96v-108vdc.

I think total electrification is probably 50-100 years away but i don't think were gonna stop seeing Ev's take more and more of the market share.

I think total electrification is probably 50-100 years away but i don't think were gonna stop seeing Ev's take more and more of the market share.
oh for sure, just takes time and a lot of failures and upgrades to get the systems up to snuff to handle all the load that consumers put on the products.

i have an electric jet kayak which works very well. it runs 8 hrs on a lifepo4 24v battery.
big boats can have a genny with direct drive but its less efficient than just putting in a diesel.
elco already makes a ton of electric outboards running at 96v-108vdc.
Again electric motors are nothing new, they have been out for 50 years. Minn Kota, Motor Guide as was mentioned above. I’ve had electric trolling motors for 25 years now. I’ve ran 12v, 24v, 36v been around all of them. I currently run a bow mounted 55lb thrust 12v Minn Kota on my 16’ Lund walleye boat. Great little troller but I’m lucky to get 8 hrs of steady use out of it, pulling me around at a crawl and basically just using it to either hold or just slowly bump here and there in order to work a shore line. That’s being ran by a minn Kota 12v heavy duty battery.

Back