The Salish Sea New Name For Old Waters

Dogbreath

Lately I've been volunteering @ voiceprint.org learning read the news for the blind and this was one of the stories I read last week-about officially using the name Salish Sea, not to replace any existing names but to designate the whole area as an ecological entity.
Now that the Yanks have approved their side of the border it shouldn't be too long before it's a done deal here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Salish/2222401/story.html

Salish Sea OK in U.S.
Times Colonist-November 14, 2009

U.S maps and atlases will now label the body of water stretching from northern Vancouver Island through Puget Sound as the Salish Sea.

The name for the 14,244-square-kilometre area, which includes the Strait of Georgia and Juan de Fuca Strait, was approved this week by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names. It was previously endorsed by the Washington State Board of Geographic Names.

The name has approval in principle from Ottawa and will go to the B.C. cabinet later this month.

If it's approved in B.C., individual names will still be used to describe features such as straits and sounds -- just as individual lake names are used for the Great Lakes, said Vivian Thomas, spokeswoman for the Forests and Range Ministry.

The name Salish Sea acknowledges the land was occupied by Coast Salish First Nations before white settlers arrived.
© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

billreidsalmon.jpg

quote:The name Salish Sea acknowledges the land was occupied by Coast Salish First Nations before white settlers arrived.

Fantastic!!!

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

What would be better? "waters overfished by whites".. that name would work too I guess?

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

What would be better? "waters overfished by whites".. that name would work too I guess?

Take only what you need.
Spoken like a true ambassador for your people [:eek:)]

It's the same as what's going on in the north with the old Inuit names. At least "Salish" is pronounceable! Try "Qamani’tuaq" instead of Baker Lake!

Really not a big deal, doesn't actually change navigation (still all the same local names). What was it called before this? I believe it did not have a name (to cover this whole area) so what's the problem with naming it something?

I do question the Historical accuracy of calling it the Salish Sea though, as the Salish regularly got beat-downs from the Laich-Kwil-Tach who were ruthless in their control of traffic through the Discovery islands and regularly raided Salish and others for slaves up and down the island. To imply that the Salish had control all the way up to Cape Scott just isn't true. And it was the We Wai Kai (subset of the Laich-Kwil-Tach as I understand it) who finally called a truce with the Salish. Guess you gotta Pick one name though eh? And the Salish are closest to the Parliament/Washington and so can be heard the most!

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

I believe, Salish actually refers to the territories of the tribes, which covered all of western Montana and extended into parts of Idaho, British Columbia Washington, Oregon, and Wyoming.

But, hmm...let’s see just what some of the “Seas” are known for?

Arabian Sea - Big caravans traveled to the sea, struggling days and nights through the deserts and having to fight against nature and robbers.

Caribbean Sea - pirates.

Mediterranean Sea - conquering of new territories.

Andaman Sea - cannibalistic tribes, Malays who used to sail across the seas to the island, catch aborigines, and give them away as slaves.

Salish Sea - (Salishan, Coast Salish) – Will also be known for; Sleight of hand games, gambling, and “Slavery” (The Coast Salish held slaves as simple property and not as members of the tribe, with all the children of the slaves becoming slaves – Not members of the tribe!)

I am okay, with the name, as do see some parallels here, but maybe Canada should start doing some DNA tests to determine who is actual tribe member decedent – with benefits, or who is slavery descendent - without benefits?
First Nation tribes – gave “NO” rights to their slaves!

Hey, FA – have you had your DNA test to see if you are actually a descendent of a tribe member, or a slave? And don't forget, if "your" tribal elders fooled around with a slave, that would make “you a slave” – with no rights!

Take only what you need.

I cant even put into words how much of a low life loser you are.

So let me get this right, Natives from one tribe would go to war with another tribe and then call that territory there own? Hmmm....

A person can tell without even looking outside that it's too wet/windy/cold for fishing because of the idiotic arguments people start here over absolutely SFA.[V]

billreidsalmon.jpg

I wouldnt call it SFA. Its a body of water that shouldnt have its name changed.

WTF..everyone needs to grow up. Its a freakin name...big deal. I don't understand the personal and racial attacks (from both sides) over something so unimportant.

There is no name change here. Geo-tonz has it correct... the geographic entity at question is a "...14 244 square Km area which includes Georgia Strait and Juan de Fuca Strait...". Our marine charts are unaffected since the name would only be added to smaller scale maps.
Therefore, you are either in favor of, or against the concept of attaching a name to the larger area; or, you just simply don't like the choice of names.
Now, given the choice between "Salish Sea" and "Waters overfished by Whites", both which have historical significance .... :)

Agree with Profisher.
Turn it off boys.
Aside from becoming repetitive, it's getting a bit boring seeing the same "Posters" trying to throw the same **** over and over.

As for the idea of the Salish Sea, it could be a good bit of recognition that it's not American waters on one side, and Canadian on the other, but a connected environmental and ecological area which needs to be jointly managed. What happens on one side of the border affects the other side.
That's all that was suggested.
Sort of like the Cascadia name that encompasses BC, Washington, Oregon and Idaho.

quote:Originally posted by calmsea
BTW, who cares?
I care because names are how we define our reality and reality, political, ethnic, social, you-name-it is dynamic and ever changing.

billreidsalmon.jpg

Back