The real truth on SRKW

Derby

Crew Member
September 28, 2018

SRKW.ORG

BC's SOUTHERN RESIDENT KILLER WHALES ARE ENDANGERED
SO IS THE TRUTH ABOUT THE REASONS WHY

Over the past few decades BC’s Southern Resident Killer Whale population has seen periods of both growth and decline.

But now, ill-informed and unscrupulous political groups are exploiting public concern about our killer whales to push a devastating agenda and make scapegoats of BC’s coastal communities.

In a cynical effort to push their political agenda, a well-funded lawsuit and media campaign are targeting recreational sport fishing and threatening to close the Chinook fishery across vast areas of BC’s coast.

Stopping sport fishing will not aid our killer whales.

Instead it will devastate BC families, BC’s coastal communities, and BC’s economy.

Sport fishing is a vital part of our history, heritage, and economy.

Stopping sport fishing would be an economic and political disaster.

BC’s recreational sport fishing community cares deeply about our entire ecosystem. No one has a greater interest or serves a larger role in protecting, preserving and enhancing BC’s marine life.

To help protect our sport and our coastal communities the SFI has created a new, informational website to fully explain this issue - SRKW.ORG

We encourage you to learn more about the real problem, and the real solution, by visiting SRKW.org and by sharing this information with others, including your local political representatives.

Together we can help enhance both our killer whale and Chinook populations.

For the full newsletter ...read the up-date SFI news letter

Totally biased, no better than the biased ENGO nonsense. Embarrassing.

When the battle becomes in social media vs the board rooms or science informed decisions then a sports fishing lobbying body is needed.

I am glad SFI is putting out a message and I’ve seen it now shared by a number of people.

Sports fishermen in the past have played the conservationists rolls and ended up shooting them selfs in the foot. Even once the runs return and were above harvestable levels the areas remained closed and DFO moved the goal posts to keep them closed.

You should really read the full letter it explains how the fisheries minister stabbed DFO staff and sports fishermen in the back.

I'm predicting Alcan stock to go up and this attempt at PR to go down.

What are you doing on these forums? You don’t belong here.

Myself as the token salmon farmer on this forum look at this situation and shake my head, but not in disbelief. In the salmon farm debate years and years ago I suggested that other industrys such as sport fishing are not immune to activism as we know it here in BC. With salmon farming there is no correlation with salmon declines where salmon declines vary up and down the entire US and Canadian west coast. My intention here is not to make this about salmon farms but to point out that sport fishing in BC is being scrutinized by that same tactics used against salmon farming.
Sport fishing in BC is huge but like salmon farming its not large enough to integrate personal knowledge into the city centres and large voting areas and activist prey on this fact. Campaigns that exaggerate and mislead the public are over powering and at the end of the day when the majority of a population believe what they have be trained to believe via social media and media who story must be amplified to a point that it becomes factually incorrect. Activists are eager to tie the SRKW situation salmon farming because it is probably the most powerful mechanism they will EVER get to control/effect what ever they decide they want to control.
I know that many reading this will find it difficult to even slightly entertain the idea that activism against sport fishing and salmon farming is even remotely related. To each their own.
My point is you cant subject/support one industry to a set of rules/and opinions and a style of attack from NGO's and not assume or plainly expect that another industry, in this case sport fishing, be free from the same style of activism.
Did anyone notice that as soon as the SRKW restrictions started that all of the sudden there were 2 new anti salmon farming groups started. Could it be that raincoast and watershed knew they would loose support from the sport fishing industry so they made two new avenues separate for in an attempt to maintain those supporters and funding since those group were not addressing killer whales and only salmon farms. They are the same groups people!

To address my quote above I think a hand full of forum contributors(their easy to pick out) have been getting a fairly easy pass on this forum for many years now. Ever wonder why Agentaqua (transparency advocate) who's identity is a big secret in these rooms, has be entirely silent on the SRKW issue on this forum? This is social media folks. This is what it is these days.

Again my main point is you cant have 2 different sets of rules for each industry. If you set standards or empower activist against one industry other industries are subject to the same set of rules and there will not be much you can do about it. Above all at the end of the day it drastically puts much needed moneys into courts and research the could be put into salmon enhancement and recovery strategies.

Good stuff Birdsnest.

You can throw just about any industry into the pool, an anti is an anti same people against just about everything there is to be against. It's crippling the nation. People are starting to catch on though and have had enough.

Stizzla, you will notice, if you look, that the far left like California love to tear down things. Only thing better is to join a forum involved and watch the pain/rub it in a bit.

They are a vindictive bunch of people.

My point is, there are things in this world that people are into that I’m not. Say, reality tv shows as an example. What I have never thought to do, was to join a reality tv fan forum and keep telling them how stupid their shows are.
I’d rather spend time with my family and friends, fish, garden, play sports and wash the truck. Life is too short and great to troll the internet.

Why, because I point out that propaganda like this is not helpful, and will likely hurt the sportfishing cause. It's the usual thing, there is no problem with the whales, if there is it's nothing to do with sportfisherman and our ability to bonk chinook should be left alone, then add in a scapegoat seals. It plays into the stereotype the ENGOs put forth that we are self centered with our expensive boats only interested in ourselves. Put Dr Trites video next to this information for the general public, which view do you think will win out?

What gets me with these groups is they never put their money where their mouth is, it's these same groups that are against hunting. It's the sportsfisherman that puts his money back into the system, we are the ones that help fund the hatcheries we are the ones that donate time to help sustain these fisheries. Same as hunting, it's the hunter that donates time and money towards stewardship programs and wildlife funds. What do these groups donate towards ? their money goes towards protests and shutting things down very little I imagine goes towards any programs that actually helps any wildlife in any form.
They are just anti, that's all they know, it's bread into them to oppose what ever there is to oppose.

I dont think that anyone disagrees there is an issue with SRKW and the Andrew Trites Video clearly calls out the misinformation which is rampant, broadcast by media and activists on social media. Its basically the point of the video.

Why, because I point out that propaganda like this is not helpful, and will likely hurt the sportfishing cause. It's the usual thing, there is no problem with the whales, if there is it's nothing to do with sportfisherman and our ability to bonk chinook should be left alone, then add in a scapegoat seals. It plays into the stereotype the ENGOs put forth that we are self centered with our expensive boats only interested in ourselves. Put Dr Trites video next to this information for the general public, which view do you think will win out?
Have you had any luck pointing out the misleading propaganda promoted by the ENGO’s on their sites? If so my hats off to you.

I am an SFI member and am obviously supportive of their efforts to protect our access to our fisheries.

That being said, I think this missed the mark.

My opinion is that the focus should have been on:

1) the conservation and enhancement efforts of the rec sector. Salmon stamp $, stream keepers, habitat enhancement, donations, etc. Probably lots of good data and information could have been provided there...more than just small commentary.

2) the economic benefit of the sport fishing industry in bc. This is simply not emphasized enough. More numbers on participants and $ spent and all the direct and indirect spend. I could name 50 places I spent $ this year as a result of my participation in rec fishing.

Those two referenced but not that well supported with facts and data. . These are hard to debate and are more about what the sector provides and not about pointing fingers at seals, etc. (And I am in favour of a seal cull).

Part 3 could then empahize the other risks faced by the SRKW. Vessel traffic, salmon predation, toxins, etc. Lots of good info on these which certainly points out Chinook numbers and Rec fishing are far from the only cause.

Last edited:
I am an SFI member and am obviously supportive of their efforts to protect our access to our fisheries.

That being said, I think this missed the mark.

My opinion is that the focus should have been on:

1) the conservation and enhancement efforts of the rec sector. Salmon stamp $, stream keepers, habitat enhancement, donations, etc. Probably lots of good data and information could have been provided there.

2) the economic benefit of the sport fishing industry in bc. This is simply not emphasized enough. More numbers on participants and $ spent and all the direct and indirect spend. I could name 50 places I spent $ this year as a result of my participation in rec fishing.

Those two are hard to debate and are more about what the sector provides and not about pointing fingers at seals, etc. (And I am in favour of a seal cull).

Part 3 could then empahize the other risks faced by the SRKW. Vessel traffic, salmon predation, toxins, etc. Lots of good info on these which certainly points out Chinook numbers are far from the only cause.

But these are exactly the points brought up in the article everyone you mentioned just in a different tone maybe but still all the same issues.

But these are exactly the points brought up in the article everyone you mentioned just in a different tone maybe but still all the same issues.

I just think the messaging was off.

More on the benefits and conservation efforts.

Less on blaming seals.

I don’t think it would cause anyone to change their opinion of rec fishing.

You say propaganda?..how about other points of view with supporting evidence..

You say bonk chinook?..how about fishing for other fin fish..the oceans full of different species

Yes all sportsfishers have really big expensive boats..thats bs propaganda rite there

Why come on here and argue with crap like that.

This is a SPORTFISHING forum..not a green peace site

I would doubt that....he/she is slways on here ripping into sporties
If you ever read any of my posts you would see I completely disagree with the ENGO positions on shutting down all recreational and commercial activity. But of course on this forum if you believe the science that the whales are in distress and it requires actions you are one of the enemy. It's why the ENGOs will unfortunately win due to ignorance like yours and nonsense like srkw.org

Last edited:
Back