The Official No Fishing Vent Thread

Pretty sure I could find a few issues the Liberals have caused over the last century similar or worse in nature, but, that wouldn't serve any purpose. Right now, this very week, the Liberals made a decision that I personally find very painful. In fact, they've made several ****** decisions in recent weeks/months that come to mind. Thats what's I'm focussed on right now and will be focussed on come next October. There is no way the Conservatives will ever be as bad as this Liberal JT Gov. It just can't get any worse. In fact, putting DFO aside, he was never ready to lead and never will be. It's not about the party in this case, it's about the man. What kind of teacher quits his job mid-term leaving his students and school? A really ****** one...Just one mans view....

You need to keep an eye on Ontario and Alberta over the next several months to see what is coming. Watch for a smoke screen, they will pick a fight and use that cover to rollback healthcare, education, environmental protection and taxes for the very rich. Watch also for any crown corporation to be mismanaged to the point that the only solution is to privatize. That's the game plan as I should know I was involved with folks in the know.

I have read your posts here for many years and have respect for your views. I many not share all of them but it's a good thing to at least listen and consider. That said watch out for the Yellow Vest Canada movement and groups like it. They are trouble and currently seem to have the ear of some politicians on the far right.

And for the record I support option B and did submit my letter to the minister when the call went out. I'm not happy about either.

Last edited:
There's a saying out there.
If you have the facts on your side ... pound the facts.
If you have the law on your side ... pound the law.
If you have neither ... pound the table.

I see you need to pound the table with your baseless personal attack.

Here is a fact that happened in the Harper years.

How the Harper Government Committed a Knowledge Massacre
Scientists are calling it "libricide." Seven of the nine world-famous Department of Fisheries and Oceans [DFO] libraries were closed by autumn 2013, ostensibly to digitize the materials and reduce costs. But sources told the independent Tyee in December that a fraction of the 600,000-volume collection had been digitized. Irreplaceable documents like the 50 volumes produced by the H.M.S. Challenger expedition of the late 1800s that discovered thousands of new sea creatures, are now moldering in landfills.
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/capt-trevor-greene/science-cuts-canada_b_4534729.html
Well said sir!

Thanks for sticking to the facts.

Still waiting for a “turn off the taps” remark

Well said sir!

Thanks for sticking to the facts.

Still waiting for a “turn off the taps” remark

Read the quote...... If you have the law on your side ... pound the law.
Neither Kenney or Horgan have the law on their side so I guess they are both pounding the table.
We shall see if Kenney makes good on his threat and how fast there is an injunction to stop it.
We are living in interesting times.

We are heading off topic again with conversations about general politics and the inevitable posts that come with. I get that this decision has a political slant to it, but let's focus on that and not get off on these ideological debates that go in circles.

Thanks,

Brian

You need to keep an eye on Ontario and Alberta over the next several months to see what is coming. Watch for a smoke screen, they will pick a fight and use that cover to rollback healthcare, education, environmental protection and taxes for the very rich. Watch also for any crown corporation to be mismanaged to the point that the only solution is to privatize. That's the game plan as I should know I was involved with folks in the know.

I have read your posts here for many years and have respect for your views. I many not share all of them but it's a good thing to at least listen and consider. That said watch out for the Yellow Vest Canada movement and groups like it. They are trouble and currently seem to have the ear of some politicians on the far right.

And for the record I support option B and did submit my letter to the minister when the call went out. I'm not happy about either.

Geez,, one could only hope all this comes true,, perrrrfect !!

Last edited:
We are living in interesting times.

Pretty awesome times actually, virtually anything I want is at my fingertips, any food any item, any information. Life's pretty easy and good. No ones going off to war, life expectancies are great.

These regs are actually pretty funny, instead of fishing in my area now for mainly marked US bound or chilliwack hatchery fish, I will be fishing in august and bonking wild Fraser bound south thompson chinook. Booked a trip in late july now in area 14 to wack some of the stocks I cant fish for now.

The whack a mole game is about to begin. More pressure on smaller amount of stocks.

Not only that but because regs are catch and release now it actually makes sense to go down and fish sandheads where it was no retention before and might get to battle with a big spring 5-2.

Not selling my boat and not going to fish less just going to hammer spots harder when she’s open.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't think it matters who is in power. Unless we ALL, every user group band together as one lobbying unit every party will continue to cut us until there is nothing left. The only answer is to form one lobby group funded by everyone- perhaps from a fee on all licensees, not just the salmon conservation stamp, so we can pay to have representatives in the halls of Ottawa, will we ever see an end to the cuts. You are dreaming in Technicolor if you believe otherwise.
This post sums it up nicely. Politicians of all parties are just puppets in the hands of big corporations. If WE don’t learn the rule of the game, we are doomed. No party on this planet will be the savior of our resource and our sport. Talks of conservatives Vs. Libs is just distraction.

Pretty awesome times actually, virtually anything I want is at my fingertips, any food any item, any information. Life's pretty easy and good. No ones going off to war, life expectancies are great.

These regs are actually pretty funny, instead of fishing in my area now for mainly marked US bound or chilliwack hatchery fish, I will be fishing in august and bonking wild Fraser bound south thompson chinook. Booked a trip in late july now in area 14 to wack some of the stocks I cant fish for now.

The whack a mole game is about to begin. More pressure on smaller amount of stocks.

Not only that but because regs are catch and release now it actually makes sense to go down and fish sandheads where it was no retention before and might get to battle with a big spring 5-2.

Not selling my boat and not going to fish less just going to hammer spots harder when she’s open.

This is so true.

Can’t wait to see the crowds at coho pt, grants reef, green can, kitty coleman, etc. on July 15.

Better to have a fishery spread out for both time and geography.

Also strange they made it 2 springs per day starting Sept. 1 when last year it wasn’t back to 2 until Sept 30. I guess we forgot about protecting the Harrison fish this year.

Just dumb all the way around.

This is so true.

Can’t wait to see the crowds at coho pt, grants reef, green can, kitty coleman, etc. on July 15.

Better to have a fishery spread out for both time and geography.

Also strange they made it 2 springs per day starting Sept. 1 when last year it wasn’t back to 2 until Sept 30. I guess we forgot about protecting the Harrison fish this year.

Just dumb all the way around.
No need to worry about the Harrison run. They’ll be FSC’d long before they can pass under the Golden Ears bridge...

Totally agree, there is no protection on the river right now. But without closing us down, they can’t begin to work on closing the river. It’s unfortunately the law... a dumb one when conservation should truly come first. I want to be clear that these measures are ********, but it’s a start, we just need to be involved with crafting the solution.

I think @UkeeDreamin makes a great point and great platform to begin with. Pushing for gillnet removal and returning to actual traditional methods.

Some of the weirs and fish wheels used down on the Columbia in some regions would be a great project to advocate for. Provides jobs with construction and maintenance of the weirs in the communities that would be using them.

View attachment 45094Wonder if he is going to go fishing again and ask for more fish???

Isn’t that so typical of that crowd. And look at Suzuki talk about hypocrites,, flew there in a frickin helicopter man lol,, awe geez that’s priceless. Wonder how much fuel burnt to get their asses up there,, unreal.

Save your money retire is Sask or Manitoba.

The wife and I thought for years we’d retire on the island but the last couple years we’ve changed our mind. Waaayyyyy to many people out there for me,, awesome place to visit and enjoy some fishing and the beauty of the water but not a place for me to live. We have been seriously looking at Sask just over the border from where we are at so we can still enjoy our friends and family yet opens up a whole new world of hunting and fishing opportunities and no farther drive really to head west. Real estate is a lot more affordable. I could sell my home buy a nice retirement place cash and put a nice bundle away for retirement to enjoy.

Each to their own for sure but I’m not into crowds at all. I love all of this country and I’d rather be more in the center of it and be able to travel it easier than being stuck in one end of it. Again don’t get me wrong I love the west coast and the ocean and it’s beauty but there is a lot of beauty in all this great nation to enjoy.

I admire and share your love of our entire country. And you are right that every person has their own preference as to where they live. But I was born and raised in Manitoba and living there is so different from life on the island that there is little comparison between them. The winters are challenging to say the least, as are the hot summers and the mosquitoes and horseflies that feast on you. The landscape has a beauty that is an acquired taste for many. For me there is no going back there to live. The west coast speaks to me in so many ways that the prairies do not.

If it’s only a question of crowds, the island is pretty big and I’m sure you can find less crowded places. Renfrew... Port Hardy, and lots of others are pretty remote and without crowds.

No question that land and housing are incredibly cheaper in the prairies.

Good luck.

The entire tone of this post is why there is such antipathy towards recreational fishers:

“bonking wild Fraser bound south thompson chinook”

“wack some of the stocks I cant fish for now.”

“just going to hammer spots harder when she’s open”

It conveys the idea that no matter the conservation challenge posed by declining fish stocks, the recreational fisher is oblivious because it’s all about wacking and hammering those left to fill the tub.

You’re not helping.

I admire and share your love of our entire country. And you are right that every person has their own preference as to where they live. But I was born and raised in Manitoba and living there is so different from life on the island that there is little comparison between them. The winters are challenging to say the least, as are the hot summers and the mosquitoes and horseflies that feast on you. The landscape has a beauty that is an acquired taste for many. For me there is no going back there to live. The west coast speaks to me in so many ways that the prairies do not.

If it’s only a question of crowds, the island is pretty big and I’m sure you can find less crowded places. Renfrew... Port Hardy, and lots of others are pretty remote and without crowds.

No question that land and housing are incredibly cheaper in the prairies.

Good luck.

Little off topic I know but hey at least we aren’t shaking our fist at each other lol.

I’ve never been much of a prairie boy, born and raised in the Boreal regions and plan on staying here till the end. Hoping in the coming years to start spending more time out in northern Ontario during the summer. The Daughter inlaws sister and husband have a fishing camp and lodge north of Vermillion Falls in the heart of some of the best fishing in the world just incredible. So much out there, so much beauty in this country to stick ones self in one corner is not for me. I really don’t care if it’s trophy class salmon or trophy class walleye or bass what ever I love it all and want to experience it all. As long as I’m out there I’m happy.

Back