The Official No Fishing Vent Thread

Not good news for people hoping to see added enforcement and convictions of criminal activity on the fraser this year. Perhaps this is why the DFO minster came to the conclusion he did because his crown prosecutors under a directive from JWR told him so....

"During her speech she spoke of the work she tackled as justice minister, including the directive she issued on how the Crown approaches civil litigation with Indigenous Peoples, and also spoke of the importance of recognizing and implementing Indigenous rights.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/first-nations-justice-conference-raybould-philpott-1.5109249

Many of you on this Forum have been calling for a Protest. I am working with a group of concerned individuals who would like to see the public and media made aware of the impacts and issues of this decision. There will be more information to follow shortly on this Protest, but I wanted to let you know the planned date and time, so everyone will have time to plan to attend. It will be May 1 between 12 and 1 PM outside Fisheries Minister Wilkinson's office located at 102 W 3 Street, North Vancouver.
Are you going to post that elsewhere on the forum?

Perhaps Jody should speak to her people and explain to them that since they are the only group that are harvesting almost the total catch of Upper Fraser Chinook, that it is very much in their own interest to allow as many fish to spawn as possible so they will have fish to harvest in the future.

This is the "*****" page right? Here goes.

I would like everyone to ask themselves (before you *****), "what have I really done for the resource?" "What have I really put back?"

If you spend $1000's on your boat and tackle, days getting ready and weeks fishing, what percentage of $$ and time have YOU spent helping the fish. I'm betting that the raffle ticket you bought for $20 last year wasn't quite enough, huh? That day you volunteered was 5 years ago? It doesn't count anymore. The fish banquet you attended was great, but maybe it's time we all you our hands dirty, if we want to keep fishing in the future.

I have noticed that quite often, "the loudest do the least", when it comes to helping our salmon.

Lots of talk and finger pointing (and hypocracy) (SCREAMING) - "Its them, not us!" DFO has screwed it up! Damn seals! Fishfarms! FN fisheries! "We only catch what is allowed", "Eco groups are out to get us!" , "Damn Whales" and my personal favourite "I catch and release!". But what did you actually do? What did you put back?(to help the salmon?)

Our spring fish banquet (Campbell River) raised over $100k for the salmon and was attended by 425 people. Know how many active fishing guides were there? Zero! Know how many guides donated prizes? Two. Commercial fishers- zero.

The tackle stores, resorts and commercial fishing suppliers were well represented, but the actual boat drivers were noticeable in their absence. A good bunch of retired guides and retired comm fishers, but the guys that are still actively doing it................ not so much.

A guide makes his/her living off a public resource. No requirement to put anything back. You would think the connection between dead fish = $$ would motivate consumers to protect the resource? Largely not. (SCREAMING) "But I create jobs!" "The sale of licenses helps enhancement!" "I generate more $$ per fish than commercial guys!" - Horsesh##, the 100 springs you bonked last year didn't help the resource. Oh, you caught and released another 100? You know an average of 1 in 10 released fish goes straight to the bottom. How many more gimp off and provide seal lunch? Your catch and release does less harm than bonking, but it still does harm, and sure as hell doesn't help the resource.

Liberals, NDP, DFO, Federal Government...... Do you remember the last time government fixed anything? Limited budgets, bureaucracy and always dealing with the lowest bidder. Do you guys really think they will fix? If they do, how quick will it happen?

That smell? It's the s##t hitting the fan, and it can get much worse. Maybe these closures will wake a few people up. It has always been grass root organizations that have created change. You CAN fix your local stream, donate more $$, join a streamkeepers group, while writing letters to the people above in government. Get your hands dirty, and stop talking about it. If you salmon fish, you are part of the problem. That's OK, just put something back.

The 4 guys that you fish with for a week every year? Get together and volunteer for a day and cough up more $$! Guides - how about every customer in your boat gives $20 to the PSF or local enhancement group. Talk to your customers and let them know where it is going.

Most of all, ask yourselves "WHAT HAVE I REALLY PUT BACK?" am I being honest with myself? Am I one of the screamers that doesn't contribute, and blames others? What can I do to make even a small difference?

If we want our kids to be able to catch a fish we need to do more. 40 years from now, when all chinook are dead, do you want to be the guy that tells his grandkids "I didn't actually do anything about it at the time, but man, did I ***** and complain!"
I applaud your post and agree with most of it.

I don’t have any knowledge of other projects but in our area a bunch of the guides donate 1% of our gross revenues to our local enhancement society to give back to the resource

This is the "*****" page right? Here goes.

I would like everyone to ask themselves (before you *****), "what have I really done for the resource?" "What have I really put back?"

If you spend $1000's on your boat and tackle, days getting ready and weeks fishing, what percentage of $$ and time have YOU spent helping the fish. I'm betting that the raffle ticket you bought for $20 last year wasn't quite enough, huh? That day you volunteered was 5 years ago? It doesn't count anymore. The fish banquet you attended was great, but maybe it's time we all you our hands dirty, if we want to keep fishing in the future.

I have noticed that quite often, "the loudest do the least", when it comes to helping our salmon.

Lots of talk and finger pointing (and hypocracy) (SCREAMING) - "Its them, not us!" DFO has screwed it up! Damn seals! Fishfarms! FN fisheries! "We only catch what is allowed", "Eco groups are out to get us!" , "Damn Whales" and my personal favourite "I catch and release!". But what did you actually do? What did you put back?(to help the salmon?)

Our spring fish banquet (Campbell River) raised over $100k for the salmon and was attended by 425 people. Know how many active fishing guides were there? Zero! Know how many guides donated prizes? Two. Commercial fishers- zero.

The tackle stores, resorts and commercial fishing suppliers were well represented, but the actual boat drivers were noticeable in their absence. A good bunch of retired guides and retired comm fishers, but the guys that are still actively doing it................ not so much.

A guide makes his/her living off a public resource. No requirement to put anything back. You would think the connection between dead fish = $$ would motivate consumers to protect the resource? Largely not. (SCREAMING) "But I create jobs!" "The sale of licenses helps enhancement!" "I generate more $$ per fish than commercial guys!" - Horsesh##, the 100 springs you bonked last year didn't help the resource. Oh, you caught and released another 100? You know an average of 1 in 10 released fish goes straight to the bottom. How many more gimp off and provide seal lunch? Your catch and release does less harm than bonking, but it still does harm, and sure as hell doesn't help the resource.

Liberals, NDP, DFO, Federal Government...... Do you remember the last time government fixed anything? Limited budgets, bureaucracy and always dealing with the lowest bidder. Do you guys really think they will fix? If they do, how quick will it happen?

That smell? It's the s##t hitting the fan, and it can get much worse. Maybe these closures will wake a few people up. It has always been grass root organizations that have created change. You CAN fix your local stream, donate more $$, join a streamkeepers group, while writing letters to the people above in government. Get your hands dirty, and stop talking about it. If you salmon fish, you are part of the problem. That's OK, just put something back.

The 4 guys that you fish with for a week every year? Get together and volunteer for a day and cough up more $$! Guides - how about every customer in your boat gives $20 to the PSF or local enhancement group. Talk to your customers and let them know where it is going.

Most of all, ask yourselves "WHAT HAVE I REALLY PUT BACK?" am I being honest with myself? Am I one of the screamers that doesn't contribute, and blames others? What can I do to make even a small difference?

If we want our kids to be able to catch a fish we need to do more. 40 years from now, when all chinook are dead, do you want to be the guy that tells his grandkids "I didn't actually do anything about it at the time, but man, did I ***** and complain!"

This is the best post I’ve seen on here in a long time,so true.

Last edited:
Fish Tofino - LOVE IT!! AWESOME. Good for you guys. Please tell the world (all B.C. anyway).

(one west coast lodge operator still insists that they only catch "American Fish" and it's the governments role to take responsibility for enhancement. - VOMIT),

We all love the fish to death, but a big part is acknowledging it, taking responsibility, and putting back. I'm afraid sportfishing will become "user pay" in the future, like users of other public resources (forests, minerals, parks), but that's another topic.

Pity party over, I had my *****, back to the task at hand.

Thank-you for taking the time to read my RANT.

Here is the synopsis of the WA regs;

https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/f...EDRTGmSIDBMLz1Mm4x4KB1EfyccwSQHnLlli1ARu8EaSo

here are our boundaries so the link makes sense.
marineareaoverview.gif

Back