The "New" Restrictions on Chinook Are Up

Do you actually believe those numbers to be accurate for the FSC fisheries?

Searun, do you have any data on the numbers of early timed Fraser Chinook encountered by the rec fleet or the DNA studies from April till June in Vancouver/Nanaimo?

Last edited:

Searun, do you have any data on the numbers of early timed Fraser Chinook encountered by the rec fleet or the DNA studies from April till June in Vancouver/Nanaimo?
From the numbers when these restrictions first came out I believe it was less than 1%, I could be wrong though

From the numbers when these restrictions first came out I believe it was less than 1%, I could be wrong though

Its even smaller I believe but DFO changed the goal posts and added in all south coast stocks of concern, Nanaimo chinook, Tenderfoot hatchery ect...

Not at my immediate finger tips. The SFAB proposals provided that data and yes there are very minimal encounters. Having said that, we are dealing with fish, they have tails, and swim everywhere - so there will never be a situation where you can state there is zero risk of any encounter of a stock of concern. The best we can do is use stock composition and timing data to shape fishery opportunities that avoid these stocks to minimize potential impacts.

Its also important to note that the recreational fishery isn't the only stakeholder on the water that has impact - we have commercial trawlers who encounter thousands of Chinook in the SoG fishery each winter, there are FSC fisheries in the lower Fraser etc. The bigger picture is finding ways all stakeholders can work together to minimize encounters to maximize the recovery potential of these specific stocks.

Looking backwards on a proposal the SFAB advanced hard in the 2022 IFMP at this point in time where the Minister and DFO staff have made it clear they considered SFAB advice and decided they were not in a position to re-open the IFMP isn't particularly productive. Everyone did what they could to support recent requests for a Ministerial review of the April - May 2022 fishery in Howe Sound and Areas 17 - 20. Despite meetings, trips to Ottawa to meet with the Minister and Senior staff, the decision has been made.

Time now to focus our energies on getting these proposals into the 2023 IFMP and build support for them going forward. That is IMO, a far more productive and professional approach.

No clue what watershed watch is.

The DNA sampling is more of my personal interest with Fraser stock composition over the last 30 years.

Also feel that if the DNA sampling was publicly shared it would give us a way better chance of getting more people involved and swaying the public to support our right to fish for non stocks of concern during the April till June ******** closures.

The Avid angler DNA sampling is not shared with the general public.. it is the property of those that do the sampling for the most part. As for getting more people involved in sampling I believe there are certian areas that we do require more people to get out and sample.

Last edited:
The Avid angler DNA sampling is not shared with the general public.. it is the property of those that do the sampling for the most part. As for getting more people involved in sampling I believe there are certian areas that we do erequire more people to get out and sample.
Do the people getting and giving the samples for the DNA sampling get the results or are they excluded from this information as well?

Back