The government is proposing new legislation on open net pen fish farming

tigerprawn

“You should also be aware that the government is proposing new legislation under the federal Fisheries Act that essentially legitimizes the inherently unsustainable practice of open net pen fish farming.

This new regulation would permit the deposit of deleterious substances into fisheries waters including chemicals and therapeutants used to control fish parasites, pests and pathogens; permitting the deposit of settleable solids and biological oxygen demand (BOD) matter related to aquaculture activities (note: this could include bloodwater and at–sea disposal of morts); permitting the deposit of material from pests and bio-fouling organisms that are power-washed off of aquaculture structures, including net pens (currently it is illegal and not accepted practice to power wash nets in-situ – they have to be taken to land-based facilities to be cleaned; and, activities by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), under the Health of Animals Act, to control or eradicate fish diseases.

This will apply to all of Canada’s fisheries waters including the Great Lakes.

Bear in mind when you read this it is DFO’s intent to support and expand this industry in Canada. So, if you think there are impacts from this industry now, just wait until it grows.”

There is just no end to this, is there. Harper and his minions at DFO are determined to INCREASE fish farming on our coasts and will do anything that they can to make this happen. Screw the environment, screw wild fish and screw everybody who wants to keep these polluting monstrosities out of our waters. It is all about the $$$$ and we poor folks don't have enough to count in the greater scheme.

It is all about the $$$$ and we poor folks don't have enough to count in the greater scheme.

It is true that left on our own the individual is powerless to stop things like this wrose yet if we give up, or give in, then they have won.

But there is another way. There IS strength in numbers. The more people are informed as to what the govt. is up to and how it will destroy our marine environment, wild fish, commercial and sportfishing industry, local economies, etc. the more power we have to change things. Get these informed people organized and focussed on working together for a common cause we are more powerful yet!

Evil, stupid, greedy, selfish, people who have power have and always will do evil, stupid, greedy, selfish things for their own short-sighted benefit. This is the history of humankind. The only thing that has and ever will change that is people with higher, better ideals who come together to push back and say NO to bad ideas, policies, decisions, etc.

If anyone doesn't like what is happening here then we must join together and fight to stop it. First, is to tell your MP's this is not acceptable! Second, inform yourself and others as to what is happening and encourage them to join the fight against it. Third, join existing groups, or form new ones that get organized to fight corruption like this. Forth, be prepared for a long, but worthwhile battle. Fifth, get ready to endure some losses, but also enjoy some victories because they will come. I know that for some this will sound like preaching to the wind, but I can't stand by any longer and let things go down the drain like they are!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Sounds like the changes they are trying to push though to sec 35...... No?

so let me remind you of the obvious, again: find a conservation group with a big stick, send your comments and money to this group(s), insist on litigation.

anything else you propose to do is a waste of your time and energy.

It is true that left on our own the individual is powerless to stop things like this wrose yet if we give up, or give in, then they have won.

But there is another way. There IS strength in numbers. The more people are informed as to what the govt. is up to and how it will destroy our marine environment, wild fish, commercial and sportfishing industry, local economies, etc. the more power we have to change things. Get these informed people organized and focussed on working together for a common cause we are more powerful yet!

Evil, stupid, greedy, selfish, people who have power have and always will do evil, stupid, greedy, selfish things for their own short-sighted benefit. This is the history of humankind. The only thing that has and ever will change that is people with higher, better ideals who come together to push back and say NO to bad ideas, policies, decisions, etc.

If anyone doesn't like what is happening here then we must join together and fight to stop it. First, is to tell your MP's this is not acceptable! Second, inform yourself and others as to what is happening and encourage them to join the fight against it. Third, join existing groups, or form new ones that get organized to fight corruption like this. Forth, be prepared for a long, but worthwhile battle. Fifth, get ready to endure some losses, but also enjoy some victories because they will come. I know that for some this will sound like preaching to the wind, but I can't stand by any longer and let things go down the drain like they are!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

I totally agree WItW. A multi-pronged strategy is definitely called for. This will be a long hard struggle but the chorus of opposition to these environmentally destructive policies is growing.

Here is one place you can add you voice to the 81,000 who have already signed a petition against the Enbridge pipeline.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/628/194/708/

(We'll talk again soon.)

I don't totally agree that legal action (although I do agree it is a good idea) is the only way. Media can be just as powerfull when dealing with Politicians. We just have to learn how to use the media. The media have had the heads in the sand, but that would change if the got 400 e-mails suggesting the same problems. Social media can help too!
so let me remind you of the obvious, again: find a conservation group with a big stick, send your comments and money to this group(s), insist on litigation.

anything else you propose to do is a waste of your time and energy.

Actually Lipripper, these would be changes to Section 36

fred-mercury-queen-meme-so-close.png

:D

I think that a large portion of the tackle shops through out these areas starting with areas 19/20 might want for their own and our varied intrests might want to consider leading this charge with advertising dollars as well as money raising venues to off-see those inheirent costs, because witout the venue there is no revenue >

Maybe the people of Canada want to raise their concerns and think before heading to the polls next time. Whoever argues that this was not predictable and the writing was not on the wall before last federal election is kidding himself. But the short term economic promises by the conservatives sounded too good to most and the bigger picture was suddenly forgotten. Sorry for our salmon and the fisheries but sometimes it has to hurt before a lesson is understood. I hope it is not too late in 3 years and that Canadians have learnt their lesson by then.

Back