The Gap...

E

erin

Has anyone been out through the Gap at NitNat? Is it fairly safe, and is there a method to going out?Thanks for any info :0)

i dont know how to do it either, but i wouldnt try it unless im with someone who has done it or it is a calm day out. Every 7th? or 8th wave is a noticibly larger one

my brother-in-law sank his boat there about 10 years ago.
Timed the waves wrong, and did a tail stand.
the motor stalled and they had to cling on to the boat
until another boat was able to pull them out.:(
I think you really need to go with someone who knows the water
for the first time.

Very true R.S. I remember one of the first times I was ever there coming from renny fishing the bar, we watched a guy miss time the waves westerly wind and outgoing tide it was the first time I have ever seen a boat come completly out of the water even saw the prop he came crashing down and stuff was every where on the ocean did damage to himself and the boat just be really carefull.

Good luck Wolf

I have gone through the "narrows" a dozen times or so and the easiest times to do it for me have been at the lake's low slack tide which is about 3 or 4 hours after the ocean's low tide. When you are going out the water gets shallow quickly on the left because of the sandy beach so you want to err a tad to the rocky right hand side. Beware the often hidden rocks lurking by the bluffs, though. I have seen a couple of sketchy incidents. When I decide to cross out to the ocean I just try to wait for what seems to be a quiet time in the waves and commit to crossing. Once you go, just go, and hit the surf squarely. You better have a good reliable engine that will get you to speed in a hurry. It is a spirited piece of water that can get dangerous. I am always relieved when I get to the other side. I personally have never had a problem getting back in to the lake on the way home...am I alone in this?

What I would be as concerned about is running out the last mile or two of the lake. It gets really shallow and nasty at spots. Follow someone if you can. If not, pay close attention to branches and stuff sticking up out of the water, avoid them, and keep your eyes on your sounder.

Have fun! They grow lunkers out there and it's nice to catch slabs without flashers.

I have gone through the "narrows" a dozen times or so and the easiest times to do it for me have been at the lake's low slack tide which is about 3 or 4 hours after the ocean's low tide. When you are going out the water gets shallow quickly on the left because of the sandy beach so you want to err a tad to the rocky right hand side. Beware the often hidden rocks lurking by the bluffs, though. I have seen a couple of sketchy incidents. When I decide to cross out to the ocean I just try to wait for what seems to be a quiet time in the waves and commit to crossing. Once you go, just go, and hit the surf squarely. You better have a good reliable engine that will get you to speed in a hurry. It is a spirited piece of water that can get dangerous. I am always relieved when I get to the other side. I personally have never had a problem getting back in to the lake on the way home...am I alone in this?

What I would be as concerned about is running out the last mile or two of the lake. It gets really shallow and nasty at spots. Follow someone if you can. If not, pay close attention to branches and stuff sticking up out of the water, avoid them, and keep your eyes on your sounder.

Have fun! They grow lunkers out there and it's nice to catch slabs without flashers.

I just "watched" boats go through, and thought...no way!This one boat watched forever, I didn't think he was going to go ( the waves were pretty big last weekend)...and sure enough he went...his whole boat caught air on the last wave before he was clear!!I can see why someone must know what they are doing!Anyone read that book dangerous waters?I think there is one or two freaky gap stories in there!I'll wait!

Back