The future of Commercial and Sport Fishing - The Plot Thickens

Ah fish for all, now who is telling half truths? Mr D$&@? Was actually set up on this one. He was told that the quota would be available to him, but when he landed with the fish, all of a sudden there was no lease to be had. This just proves that commercial fishers dare not speak out against the PHMA or the buyers, or else they won't get any quota to lease. It truly is a "Cartel" hence the "price fixing".
The 10% gift really did nothing in terms of stewardship, but sure paid for some lobbying. The cameras were developed by Archipelago Marine Research, and the cost of this monitoring has been paid for by the crews, not the "non fishing" quota holders. It would seem logical that user fees should go to the rightful owner of the resource (the Canadian Public) and be used for stewardship (habitat, enhancement etc..)
When I go fishing at a lodge or on a charter, my right to angle and retain halibut is under my recreational fishing licence, I catch the fish, not the lodge or the guides.

good try. the fact is Mr.D overshot his quota by lots. Dumb move by any fisher. If he had a deal with a buyer or individual that fell through that his poor business on his part. Nice try passing the buck.

As for costs and settlements the people i work with put all numbers above board for crews to see. you seem a bit bitter.

No, you are paranoid that there will be fair allocation of Halibut sometime in the future and your slipper skipper party will be over.
I have commercial friends that put thier life savings in good faith to support thier familys to have it expropriated with no compensation?Is this a dictatorship country?Do you understand the implications of this?The first nations can come up to you and take your property back cause we took it for some beads?I hope they come to your front door and take your land back that you worked so hard for.this is a slippery sloap, so think about it.Conservation, that is what we should be talking about not this back and forth sh#t.have a good summer out there catch lots of chinook!

I have commercial friends that put thier life savings in good faith to support thier familys to have it expropriated with no compensation?Is this a dictatorship country?Do you understand the implications of this?The first nations can come up to you and take your property back cause we took it for some beads?I hope they come to your front door and take your land back that you worked so hard for.this is a slippery sloap, so think about it.Conservation, that is what we should be talking about not this back and forth sh#t.have a good summer out there catch lots of chinook!

Commercial fishing is a sunset industry. How's that for an implication? The smart ones got out a long time ago.

The Natives aren't gonna come and take my land........don't be so bloody dramatic!

Getting rid of the draggers, seine & gill net boats and the slipper skippers would be the best conservation move>

Gentlemen.... I know it's easy to slam these guys but perhaps lets try and focus on the slipper skippers.
They are the problem as the guy's that go and actually fish them are our neighbors.
For the most part they are decent people.

If the guy's that stand up for the slipper skippers want to continue .... game on.
GLG

Ripped this from an article that Ralph Shaw wrote.

In a paper “Best Use of Fishery Resources: Ecological Considerations” presented at the conference by William A. Dill, he closed with the following story by the philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer:

“One wintry day, a couple of porcupines huddled together for warmth. They found that they pricked each other with their quills: they moved apart and were again cold. After much experimentation, the porcupines found the distance at which they gave each other some warmth without too much sting.”
I respectfully suggest we must try to find the distance at which we can co-exist without too much sting. Halibut are a common property fishery resource that is owned by the people of Canada, and surely the people of Canada are entitled to more than 12 pounds of every 100 pounds of the TAC.

Its old and we are now at 15 pounds out of every 100

Last edited by a moderator:

We are not a dictatorship government, but with harper calling 29 elections in 8 years to get a majority(obviously not the right number) what was he going after??? And now we have him ramming pipelines and fish farms down our throats?? Why??? Corporate greed. No different than Bush allowing the head of City bank and others to change the bank laws in the states and that worked out well for the average citizen.
The guys who actually fish , good on them. But the corporations who just lease quota and are also the ones that should be losing their quoata.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Critics+fisheries+plan+look+Constitution/6569307/story.html

More on what seems to be Harper's plan for the continued privatization and corporatization of our fish. Looks pretty bleak for the classic independent commercial fisherman as well down the road. Quota owner slipper skippers don't care about the future of independent commercial fishermen or sport fishermen. They have been bought off with gifted quota (fish) ownership and can cash in. It is increasingly looking like the poweful fish corporations wil get it all on both coasts and since unlike people, big corporations almost never die, once they have it all they will keep it.

Sadly very true, they are in the process of staving out the lobster fishermen to force them to sell their license and quota.

Yes Harper and his fundamentalist conservatives want to privatise everything, including ocean fisheries. Water is next and air cannot be long after. I am only partly joking. The conservatives believe the privatisation model is transferable to any and every situation, however complex it may be in reality. Even though managing ocean fisheries is not the same as managing a grocery store!!

Yet, these guys will stop at nothing, because this way they can line the pockets of the corporate barons and reduce "government" by firing hundreds who might be involved in regulation and oversight. Everything, but everything, will now become the responsibility of corporations. In the Harper vision Ocean Inc. will manage all aspects of the ocean ----fisheries, catch limits, pollution, and every little guy will have to pay Ocean Inc. to fish or perform any activity thereon....

They look at China and say maybe we should be like them.
Carry the big hammer, over the people. and let the "invisible hand of the market" do the rest.
With a big BUT only the companies we want to see get wealthy.
Chairman Hi Ho Harper and his band of thugs to our rescue from our self.
GLG

Yes Harper and his fundamentalist conservatives want to privatise everything, including ocean fisheries.....

this is exactly the model of government that ray'gun put forward back in the 80's. newt made this a priority during his reign of terror and now the tea baggers are hell on wheels with this exact same agenda basically blocking anything and everything that would interfer with their long range plan. the only thing keeping this from total domination in the US is Obama the whimp. if Romney is installed come November, the world is going to shutter at the impact this is going to have on the global economy. harper will begin to look like a third rate hack if my country steps off the cliff edge. right now i would guess this is a 50-50 bet.

i am a retired fisherman with a halibut quota we fish our selves no one gifted us any thing we bought it and paid varing an=mounts for our quota from $9 to 28 per pound we have lost around half of it to halibut total allowable catch declines plus the 3% to sporties there is a total amount that can be caught with one vessel if thieirwas no quote for rent we could not survive as fishermen quota for sale is almost none existant last price i know of was around 70 per lb fishermen tried to get a owners only fishing policy at start of quota fishery but were stymied by govt policy at time american policy as in alaska has user only rules quota holder most be on boat at time of fishing should be same here almost impossible to buy out slipper skippers now at present quota prices

And I believe that as many others here do , is that you should have a fair amount of quota to be able to make a living. But the big outfits have it and are set-up for you to take all the risks and costs and they make the gravy.

i am a retired fisherman with a halibut quota we fish our selves no one gifted us any thing we bought it and paid varing an=mounts for our quota from $9 to 28 per pound we have lost around half of it to halibut total allowable catch declines plus the 3% to sporties there is a total amount that can be caught with one vessel if thieirwas no quote for rent we could not survive as fishermen quota for sale is almost none existant last price i know of was around 70 per lb fishermen tried to get a owners only fishing policy at start of quota fishery but were stymied by govt policy at time american policy as in alaska has user only rules quota holder most be on boat at time of fishing should be same here almost impossible to buy out slipper skippers now at present quota prices

Back